PDA

View Full Version : TB-3 dynamic campaign whinge

pres_
07-20-2004, 08:00 AM
According to the tutorial the bomb sight on this guy is accurate to 1500m ok fair enough.

I am sent off regularly, with other TB-3's, to bomb "transport columns" or other such miniscule stuff from 3000m. The targets are mobile and cannot be seen at all from that alt. The way I see it I'd be way better off in an i-16 with a few rockets for this kind of pissant stuff, wtf don't we go off and bomb factories and other targets suitable for a heavy bomber ? Not like that would be impossible or even difficult. This is the kind of BS mission that gets generated for me two times out of three. So unless you say screw the rest of you and mission command's lame plan too, it's totally unplayable. Poor show.

pres_
07-20-2004, 08:00 AM
According to the tutorial the bomb sight on this guy is accurate to 1500m ok fair enough.

I am sent off regularly, with other TB-3's, to bomb "transport columns" or other such miniscule stuff from 3000m. The targets are mobile and cannot be seen at all from that alt. The way I see it I'd be way better off in an i-16 with a few rockets for this kind of pissant stuff, wtf don't we go off and bomb factories and other targets suitable for a heavy bomber ? Not like that would be impossible or even difficult. This is the kind of BS mission that gets generated for me two times out of three. So unless you say screw the rest of you and mission command's lame plan too, it's totally unplayable. Poor show.

Zayets
07-20-2004, 08:04 AM
And how in the earth do you climb with that mastodont at 3000m because myself I never managed to go over 1500-2000 m with a full load.Never tried with an empty one,but I guess it's about the same for me.

Zayets out

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/Zayets-sigIAR.jpg

Capt._Tenneal
07-20-2004, 08:16 AM
Yup that's my frustration too. By the time my stick of bombs hit the ground the column I was supposed to destroy was 2 km. further down the road. I agree, the TB-3 should be used for missions where the target is 1) Large or 2) Stationary or 3) Both. I don't mind bombing an armored column -- as long as it's parked !

Moving columns of vehicles should be targets for IL-2s or fighter-bombers.

SeaFireLIV
07-20-2004, 08:34 AM
Seems a job for Starshoy.

Breeze147
07-20-2004, 08:36 AM
Yeah, we need a new TB-3 Campaign!!!

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/air_power/ap16.jpg

Baron_Kiptofen
07-20-2004, 09:26 AM
Using Autopilot and F7 doesn't help much either: The lead TB3 is the one whose course is set to match the targets location, so if you are in formation and auto drop as anything other than leader of the flight, you'll never hit anything that small. The only way around it is to break auto pilot and fly direct towards the target whilst the rest are still forming up, pray for no interception and race ahead to find the mobiles. Alternatively, 5 minutes out, dive to pick up speed and get ahead, then try and find them before the bombs drop on them, and you if you are still down low schooching about trying to find them.

Given clear skies and no comrades, I find it easier to dive bomb in the TB3 than use the bombsight for such targets though... give yourself enough height, and the huge wings should give you lift and strength enough to get away with anything up to about 80 degrees of diving. Online I tend to hug the floor and more or less drive over enemy airfields: Up high you just get plastered by AA anyway... If externals are allowed, I treat it just like a normal AI bomber, so useless is the sight and survivability really. But I'll always take her if she's available online despite that.... nothing like the very slowly approaching vulchery menace of the big lass... Do they hit refly? Do they not? They do... only I'm still miles away... do they hit it again? Bua ha haaaa...