PDA

View Full Version : AC Rogue - Ramming Speed

Barneyboy69
07-31-2015, 08:58 PM
Having been stuck on the last Legendary Battle (Storm Fortress) it seems I need to understand more about how to operate Ramming Speed. I'm not certain what buttons to press and when.

I've tried looking it up in the game guide but there's no mention.

I'm on PS3

Can someone help me out please?

Locopells
08-01-2015, 11:31 AM
I'm not sure which buttons (PC player here), but press and hold the one that gives you the chain shot (front) view. Then press the one for speed up, until it says 'Charge' on the HUD, instead of 'Speed Up''. Then - still holding the front view button - press Charge, and you should get a boost of speed.

I'm doing a Rogue playthrough at the moment, and am getting close to doing the SF again, myself...

Barneyboy69
08-02-2015, 11:41 AM
I'm not sure which buttons (PC player here), but press and hold the one that gives you the chain shot (front) view. Then press the one for speed up, until it says 'Charge' on the HUD, instead of 'Speed Up''. Then - still holding the front view button - press Charge, and you should get a boost of speed.

I'm doing a Rogue playthrough at the moment, and am getting close to doing the SF again, myself...

I've sorted the speed ramming control out now, only trouble is it is yet another set of buttons to consider when already overwhelmed by the incumbent problem. Since harnessing the ram control, I haven't even gotten close to achieving the second phase where the two ships appear out of nowhere because I am so busy fiddling with the camera controls trying to get a firing line on the SF. I get blown away every time!

This is the hardest task I have ever played in AC and the most unenjoyable. Gaming is supposed to be enjoyable isn't it?

Surely there should be some sort of trigger that when you have attempted something like this so many times it actually notches down the difficulty so you can get some sort of satisfaction out of it.

I have reviewed the scenario on YouTube looking to at least a dozen contributors and none of the problems I seem to experience occur on theirs - is it just me?

I get my allied vessels getting in the way to the point where they "knock" me into the path of the SF broadsides.

The SF broadsides are like Kitchener's eyes, (from the WW1 enlistment poster - "Your Country Needs You"), wherever you are, they are aligned on your ship and you are therefore vulnerable to attack 100% of the time.

The camera is so haphazard it is almost impossible to make a clean shot on the SF when the slim opportunity arises and when the moment passes, hey presto, your on his broadside again!

Most of the videos I have watched are on Xbox 360. They do not seem to have the same problems that I get on PS3 - is this possible?

The players who have posted using PS3 look to have experienced a measure of good fortune regarding being able to locate, position and stay on the bow of the SF long enough to drop a load of oil barrels - this obviously helps as you can see the health bar of the SF reduce significantly, whereas even direct concentrated hits with mortar, carronade and heavy shot don't seem to make a slight difference on the same health bar.

The visibility is absolutely dire. The player is sailing blind. You can't tell which way the enemy ship is facing or heading most of the time. Why did Ubisoft not replace the red enemy dot in the HUD mini map with a small arrow or plan view of a ship, (like your own) or is that asking too much?

To top it all, the rule change where a Man o' War is now faster and more manoeuvrable than your otherwise sprightly brig makes for a somewhat increasingly unenjoyable gaming experience.

I am now into my second week of daily attempts. I really want to play something else now but my OCD completionist attitude is preventing me from doing so.

Ubisoft need to not do this sort of thing again. The Legendary Ships in Black Flag were infinitely easier and more enjoyable than this.

Locopells
08-03-2015, 11:20 AM
It's probably a bit easier with K+M. Couple of suggestions though. Stay outside of the sorta circle your allies make around the SF - they can shelter you from fire for a bit and won't hamper you the same. The Morrigan has quite a long range as well - try to stay close to the limit of it (as far as you can, bearing in mind the visual probs) and keep circling round to try and get behind the SF. You won't always be able to stay there, but the SF doesn't seem to be able to lock onto you the same when you are in the general area, and I've had less instances of the Kitchener's eyes thing.