PDA

View Full Version : Infrared Headlamp: Where Can I Find One?

tsisqua
07-14-2004, 10:41 AM
I posted this in community help, but I don't think it is really a tech question, so I will repost here . . .

posted 14-07-04 12:06
Hi.

I've discovered that my head tracking software (Cam2Pan) works quite well with the infrared light that you find on any tv remote control. What I am looking for is a small headlamp with an infrared bulb. If I use my software in "flashlight" mode, I do not get false inputs from outside light sources, particularly if I turn the webcam's saturation down. The other added benefit is that there is no visible glare on the monitor, the IR being out of the range of vision for us normal, non-superhero human beings.

That being said, I have searced far and wide for a headlamp that uses IR. Right now, it seems that the only option that I have is to build something using an IR led.

Does anyone know if there is something like this that I can just purchase? The led's that I can find are not really compatible with flashlights, and I worry that the voltage needs to be applied differently, so if anyone knows I'd appreciate that info as well, just in case I have to build A little headlamp somehow.

Thanks for the info in advance.

Tsisqua

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/tsisqua-bird1.JPG

tsisqua
07-14-2004, 10:41 AM
I posted this in community help, but I don't think it is really a tech question, so I will repost here . . .

posted 14-07-04 12:06
Hi.

I've discovered that my head tracking software (Cam2Pan) works quite well with the infrared light that you find on any tv remote control. What I am looking for is a small headlamp with an infrared bulb. If I use my software in "flashlight" mode, I do not get false inputs from outside light sources, particularly if I turn the webcam's saturation down. The other added benefit is that there is no visible glare on the monitor, the IR being out of the range of vision for us normal, non-superhero human beings.

That being said, I have searced far and wide for a headlamp that uses IR. Right now, it seems that the only option that I have is to build something using an IR led.

Does anyone know if there is something like this that I can just purchase? The led's that I can find are not really compatible with flashlights, and I worry that the voltage needs to be applied differently, so if anyone knows I'd appreciate that info as well, just in case I have to build A little headlamp somehow.

Thanks for the info in advance.

Tsisqua

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/tsisqua-bird1.JPG

mortoma
07-14-2004, 11:07 AM
You can't get a infra red bulb, but you can get an infra red L.E.D. ( light-emitting diode ) which is what they use in remote control devices like for TVs and such. Although they also use RF devices sometimes too but that's beside the point. I'd make my own if I were you. I don't think a used a flashlight type of reflector would do much good since reflectors are for the visible range. But you could make it somewhat directional by mounting it in a tube of some sort. How directional would depend on how much larger the tube diameter is and how far back in the tube it's mounted. All you need is to go to Radio Shack and buy an Infra Red LED and a resistor of about 47 to 100 ohms. Put about 6 volts DC on it using four cylindrical flashight batteries of the size you prefer. The longest lead of the LED is the negative side, so have that going to the negative pole of the batteries. The short lead of course is positive. Solder the resistor on either leg, doesn't matter since we are only using it as a current limiter so you don't burn the LED out. It only needs to be in series so polarity doesn't matter. If you accidentally hooked it up backwards it won't hurt it, since diodes simply refuse to flow current backwards. Unless you tried hooking up a couple hundred volts to it backwards, then you might blow it out!! Another alternative to buying the diode from Radio Shack ( although they are cheap ) would be to scavenge one from a old remote that doesn't work anymore. It would be mounted at the front of the circuit board, the side you point at the TV or whatever.

[This message was edited by mortoma on Wed July 14 2004 at 10:35 AM.]

tsisqua
07-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Exactly what I was looking for, Mortoma.

Thanks a million http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Tsisqua

mortoma
07-14-2004, 11:36 AM
No hay problema, senor!

LuckyBoy1
07-14-2004, 12:57 PM
Please let "Real People" know how this works out. I just went to their website and it did not answer some of my questions. What is the highest refresh rate it supports? Does it have any drawbacks compared to Track IR? Is Wonder Woman view possible with this device?

Now with an actual index & more fiber! It is newer & and even more improved! It's Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users!...

http://www.pingu666.modded.me.uk/luckyboy/LuckyboysGuide2.htm

Luckyboy = Senior hydraulic landing gear designer for the P-11 & Contributing Editor to Complete Users magazine.

tsisqua
07-14-2004, 01:00 PM
LuckyBoy, I get very good results from Cam2Pan, and great support from the developer. I don't believe that it will ever be as smooth as TIR, but a very nice low-cost option.

www.mouseview.com (http://www.mouseview.com)

Tsisqua

Troll2k
07-14-2004, 02:52 PM
I too have used cam2pan.I just used a regular green led with a resistor powered from a spare usb port.I went to the hobby shop and got a piece of plastic tubing the diameter of the led.(looks like a thick walled straw)I mounted the led inside the tube and mounted the tube on top of my headset.It work fine.Even in the dark.I have heard rumors that tir people use an IR led mounted to their caps instead of the dots.