PDA

View Full Version : AI crew/pilotkills

Bob the Pilot
07-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Hi,

I've heard people talk about shooting crews in singleplayer. I'm pretty sure this is not possible as I've tried shooting the crew in a heinkel 111 from the front with 2 MK 108 shells and nothing happened. Is it just me?

If not; shouldn't it be possible to get AI pilot kills? If you're flying a heinkel your gunners can get killed, so why isn't it possible to kill crews in AI piloted planes? Bug maybe?

Bob the Pilot
07-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Hi,

I've heard people talk about shooting crews in singleplayer. I'm pretty sure this is not possible as I've tried shooting the crew in a heinkel 111 from the front with 2 MK 108 shells and nothing happened. Is it just me?

If not; shouldn't it be possible to get AI pilot kills? If you're flying a heinkel your gunners can get killed, so why isn't it possible to kill crews in AI piloted planes? Bug maybe?

Yellonet
07-07-2004, 07:10 AM
It's just you. Try again!

Yesterday I was testing weapons (with arcade mode on, which is great for comparing damage) and I hit a He-111 in the cockpit from the front with a 37mm shell from a Bf-110. That single hit killed the pilot and all the gunners and it went through the whole plane and ripped the left elevator clean off. Now that's a good hit.

- Yellonet

Bob the Pilot
07-07-2004, 07:13 AM
Oi! That's just wierd! I've tried this a thousand times, with different weapons. For example, Hurricane with 12 30. cals /w convergence set to 100 metres. I'm very, very sure I got at least 200 bullets into that cockpit. Still, nothing happened.

Yesterday a spitfire was climbing upwards at 90 degrees at about 100 kilometres per hour (dumb AI) and I peppered his cockpit with at least 8 20 mm shells. Now I know this is supposed to kill a pilot, as I've done it online as well as gotten killed by a single 20 mm hispano from an AI spitfire that hit the fuselage, near the cockpit.

Does anyone else have this problem?

ruf9ii
07-07-2004, 07:23 AM
yea, u can get pilot kills and stuff.
go to il2's cfg file and under 'arcade' change 0 to 1. this will show you where all your individual rounds are hitting the enemy plane (and the ground) with arrows (and dot respectively). it will also announce pilot and crew kills and headshots.
have fun!
beware tho, it may have a hit on your frame rate.

ploughman
07-07-2004, 07:29 AM
Sure you can kill the crew. It's a shame there isn't a bit more damge modelling associated with the crew and crew positions but some of the crews lean forward in their straps or hang their heads if they're hit. The blister gunner on the PB-6 even hangs out over the side of the plane if you nail him. Incredibly, and I love this, you can blow the entire control cabin clean off the C-47 effectively decapitating the aircraft.

ploughman
07-07-2004, 07:33 AM
Er, I just noticed in the config file there's a "Highgore" option: if I change this to 1 do I get blood splattered cockpits etc?

Farkitt_
07-07-2004, 07:44 AM
only in some aircraft. 111's and 109 F-2 i think are 2 that do it.

http://www.jacksonharrison.co.uk/BoB2/Battle_personnel/Profiles/RAF/images/lacey.jpg

"You do that again, I'll boot your bollocks till they ring like the church bells at St Mary's. Next time, Ding ****" -Fanny Barton in "A Good Clean Fight" written By Derek Robinson

Bob the Pilot
07-07-2004, 07:52 AM
ROFL, just tried arcade mode. I sprayed the cockpit and killed the gunner. I hit the engine around five times too and black smoke started coming out of it. I thought that was kind of strange... Does arcade mode make your weapons stronger?

SUPERAEREO
07-07-2004, 08:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob the Pilot:
Does arcade mode make your weapons stronger?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it does.

S!

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down." - Chuck Yaeger

"Ja, Hunde, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" - Friedrich der Große

"Timeo Danaos, et dona ferentes" - *neid

Bob the Pilot
07-07-2004, 08:20 AM
Ok, something is wrong here. Even though it says 'Headshot', 'Gunner Down', etc, etc, they don't actually die. I shot the nose gunner in a heinkel, he had 3 arrow thingies going through him, but when i flew slowly infront of the plane he started shooting at me. :O Luftzombies?

After that I tried attacking the front of a B-25. The gunner had 2 arrows going through him, pilot and co-pilot too, yet they didn't die.

SUPERAEREO
07-07-2004, 08:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob the Pilot:
The gunner had 2 arrows going through him, pilot and co-pilot too, yet they didn't die.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe them Injuns don't shoot to kill..!

Seen that happenin' in a lot of Western movies LOL!

Seriously: did you install AEP over 1.22 or did you do a clean install?

It could just be an installation bug.

S!

"Timeo Danaos, et dona ferentes" - *neid

Bob the Pilot
07-07-2004, 08:49 AM
Alright, it seems I am after all able to shoot crew/pilots. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif The nose gunner was probably only injured. I tried attacking a TB-3 now and killed all the crew on the top of the plane, but it wasn't possible to actually see that they died. However the bombardier bailed, unlike the other crew, so I guess they died. :]
Conclusion: me stupid.

Super: LOL! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

horseback
07-07-2004, 12:31 PM
Not as stupid as you think; the AI gunners are way overmodelled. What will kill (usually) the AI pilot, or you and me in RL, will merely annoy the AI gunners and make them concentrate on their sharpshooting.

Try blowing out the 'greenhouse' in the dreaded FW-189 from behind. I can't count the times I've shot the hell out of the center pod on one of those things and still got my engine nailed as I pulled away, apparently by a bleeding, legless, one armed gunner shooting blind ("use the Force, Hans...") as the maimed Uhu started spinning to its doom.

I've heard all kinds of excuses for the astounding excesses of the AI gunners and the inability to moderate their skills. The pilot may be a Rookie, but the gunners are always Davy Freaking Crockett, able to take you or your engine out with a single burst from over 600m at extreme angles every time. Even when thoroughly perforated, they perform heroically.

I have to subscribe to the LuftZombie theory, although it doesn't account for the abilities of the gunners in the Sturmoviks or Pe-8s; maybe there's something a little more exotic than Marxist thought going into the New Soviet Man...

But this is supposed to be a 'realistic combat flight simulation', not Castle Wolfenstein. It is by far the least realistic part of this sim, and a real immersion killer.

cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

Vrabac
07-07-2004, 01:25 PM
Really, it sometimes seems that AI crew are immortal. A couple of times I went head on in FW190 against a B17 and sprayed it's entire nose with 20mms and did nothing. Than again, sometimes i accidentaly hit something and kill the pilot. But someone mentioned something about order in wich things should be installed. I installed AEP over 1.22, but can't notice anything out of order, not that I am able to even if something is out of order. What are the simptoms? Not that it's the topic, but someone might tell me, I bet it's short.

Yellonet
07-07-2004, 01:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SUPERAEREO:

Yes it does.

S!

"Timeo Danaos, et dona ferentes" - *neid<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it doesn't.

- Yellonet

HexAngel
07-07-2004, 02:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SUPERAEREO:
Yes it does.
S!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The weapons are not stronger in arcade mode. They are stronger when disabling realistic gunnery though http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Edit: Ups, should have read it to the end http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/35.gif
----------------------------
http://home.mnet-online.de/hexangel/Pics/HexAngelv1.jpg
It's too late now to get out of sight..

shakes17
07-08-2004, 08:00 PM
OK...noob question..how the heck do you turn on arcade mode...?? I only see 3 settings for the game..easy, normal, realistic..please help.

Thanks

WTE_Galway
07-08-2004, 08:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shakes17:
OK...noob question..how the heck do you turn on arcade mode...?? I only see 3 settings for the game..easy, normal, realistic..please help.

Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arcade=1 in the conf.ini file

as far as gunners go the classic one is when you get fragged by a tail gunner firing at you from a wingless spinning bomber spiralling downwards

has happened to me a few times