PDA

View Full Version : XBox upload and download speed

XyZspineZyX
08-20-2003, 09:54 PM
is there a way to check your upload and download speed on your Xbox?

XyZspineZyX
08-20-2003, 09:54 PM
is there a way to check your upload and download speed on your Xbox?

XyZspineZyX
08-20-2003, 10:07 PM
I wouldn't bother. It's unreliable. You will get a better gauge of your speed from an Internet speed test, like the ones at www.dslreports.com (http://www.dslreports.com)

To see what your Xbox says, from the dashboard, go to Xbox Live, network status(?), and then click connect, then hit the Y button and it will show d/l u/l speed. (I'm going by memory on the steps but I should be close) Compare the rported speed from your Xbox with the web based speed test. More likely than not the Xbox test will be way off of your actual speed.

XyZspineZyX
08-20-2003, 10:26 PM
I just cross checked my connection and the results are in:
XBOX listing: UL: 116Kb DL: 1399 Kb
DSLReports: UL: 273Kb DL: 1750 Kb

Who da thunk it?

XyZspineZyX
08-20-2003, 10:40 PM
i have cable, so would i go to broadbandreports.com or dsl. i went to dslreports, but i dont know how to see the upload and download speed

XyZspineZyX
08-20-2003, 10:49 PM
http://www.surewest.net/support/speed-test.html

My home speed is 5483 kbps upload, 4343 kbps download. When I get home, I'll retest it and post the result link here.

Xbox Live Tag: cre8nhavoc

XyZspineZyX
08-20-2003, 10:49 PM
also, how can u use you ul and dl time to figure out how many ppl you can host in a game? what is a good ul and dl time. (i have a motorolla surfboard cable modem)

XyZspineZyX
08-20-2003, 11:50 PM
i just did it:

upload: 137221 bps, or 137 kbps.

download: 1248401 bps, or 1248 kbps.

is this good?

like i said, i have a motorolla surfboard cable
modem.

Message Edited on 08/20/0310:59PM by XxTheSopranosxX

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 02:58 PM
That looks about normal for a cable broadband connection. More likely than not, the most you would be able to host with that speed without lag would be 1 player in addition to yourself. Sucks, but that's just the way it goes. Upload speed governs how many you can host. There is no set formula for how many people you can host with a given upload speed because different games have different per player bandwidth requirements. But, generally speaking, from experience with PC and Xbox Live games, 256 upload will support 3-4, 384 gets you to 5-6, 512 gets you to 7-10, 768 gets you to 11-14, and 1mpbs is required to get to the 15-20 player range. All of these rough estimates (as mentioned) depend upon the game, as well as the connection quality/location of those in the game.

XyZspineZyX
08-22-2003, 12:05 PM
I have a 1 mb connection this gives me an average upload of 256 although if i check it on the net it shows up little better. I can host a game of 8 people with explosives on and rarely get a problem ( there is always the odd occasion when you will experience problems this is usually down to xbl). Many of the people i play with on xbl have the same connection and provider and yet cant host 8 players so i would suggest you do the same as i did, start by hosting a small game with some friends and gradually increase the numbers untill you know your servers limit. You can try this with both explosives on and off and decide for yourself which way you want to set it permantly. You will also see that when you set your game up xbox gives you a recommended no. of players you can usually up this a little if you want to use that as a guide line to start with /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif