PDA

View Full Version : altitude issue

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 09:29 PM
Hi oleg,
Just a quick wish, can we please have better performance for all aircraft at higher altitudes, I.E the B17 was a heavy high altitude bomber designed to fly at 25,000ft and above(ceiling was 40.000ft) yet when i put them into a mission at that altitude they lose power and drop to 7000ft before they can level out and fly properly, this is the same with all planes. it's really annoying as love high altitude fights. <S>
fragal

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 09:29 PM
Hi oleg,
Just a quick wish, can we please have better performance for all aircraft at higher altitudes, I.E the B17 was a heavy high altitude bomber designed to fly at 25,000ft and above(ceiling was 40.000ft) yet when i put them into a mission at that altitude they lose power and drop to 7000ft before they can level out and fly properly, this is the same with all planes. it's really annoying as love high altitude fights. <S>
fragal

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 11:27 PM
I think they've tried to fix the system up a bit but it seems like they are having some problems. I'm not sure what they are or how the engine works but it was designed for low altitude fighting (the game was designed around the IL-2 initially) rather than high altitude.

I too wish it could be fixed. Probably the next game...we can live with this I think. Take those B-17's down to 7000 meters and leave them there. Not quite super effective.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig.jpg
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." - Winston Churchill

BM357_Raven
12-09-2003, 12:25 AM
Maybe if you started with them at 35,000 ft, they would come down to your intended alt.

Blazing Magnums 357th VFG

http://bm357.com/bm357_raven_with_guns%20copy.jpg

http://www.bm357.com

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 12:49 AM
Decreasing fuel load to 25% or less helps increase the altitude they level off at. You don't need 100% B~17 fuel on these maps. Also, give them the Default payload, which is just guns, if don't really need to see the bombs falling. But then I assume the bombs sometimes make an Awsum BOOM when hit by flak. Anything to make your plane lighter helps it stay a little higher. You may get it to level off at 7500m or 8000m. I dunno didn't do this after The New Patch was releaced

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 04:01 PM
Haem...25000ft is 7620 meters.....Looks like you got your units confused here, B-17 won't fly well at 25000 meters (82000 ft)...Maybe that was the problem...

"See, Decide, Attack, Reverse or Coffee Break" E.H.

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 07:39 PM
thats a good point but it doesn't specify whether the altitude is in feet or metres but i mean that all the planes seem to do it not just the B-17's the fighters also lose there maneuverability and stall a lot easier so most of the time there all going into a spin whenever they try and swing round or when there dogfighting

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 09:23 PM
All the altitude values in the sim are done in meters except for the in-cockpit altitude indicators of some lend-lease aircraft. If you select the altitude in the QMB or FMB, it is in meters. Therefore, if you placed the aircraft at 25,000 in the QMB or FMB, you are really placing them at 82,000 feet. None of the aircraft in the sim will fly properly at that altitude whether it is a bomber or a fighter.

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Thanks Oryx that'll explain why i'm having probs hehe :P someone slap me with a wet fish for blaming the game thanks for clearing that up, incidentally what does every1 think of the Hurri i seem to be the only one who flies it maybe cos i'm british <S>