PDA

View Full Version : The Wedge

The12342sainT
06-10-2004, 11:12 AM
I reciently visited a F4 at my local air museum and the curator explained the "wedge" which looks like a light on the leading edge of the right wing. The wedge disrupted airflow to the wing when the airspeed of the F4 dropped to just above stall speed. The disruption of airflow casused the stick to shake and warned the pilot that the plane was about to stall.
This would be a nice addition for force feedback users.

"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
~ Benjamin Franklin

The12342sainT
06-10-2004, 11:12 AM
I reciently visited a F4 at my local air museum and the curator explained the "wedge" which looks like a light on the leading edge of the right wing. The wedge disrupted airflow to the wing when the airspeed of the F4 dropped to just above stall speed. The disruption of airflow casused the stick to shake and warned the pilot that the plane was about to stall.
This would be a nice addition for force feedback users.

~ Benjamin Franklin

gombal40
06-10-2004, 01:09 PM
picture?? im intressted. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SKULLS_Exec01
06-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Yep, that would be very cool, but
I can still feel a little shutter just before stalling in some planes (like p-47), does not mean I react in time to save it though. :-(

Force Feedback users?? Is there anyone else using them, I almost never see anything about force feedback in the il-2 forums.
(thought I was the only one, with a FF stick still)

Any thoughts on the thrustmaster FF afterburner and il-2, thinking of upgrading to it?
Exec

The12342sainT
08-17-2004, 08:52 PM
Yes, I have a picture of the wedge -PM if interested.

~ Benjamin Franklin

p1ngu666
08-17-2004, 09:19 PM
thats the forward wing slats?

http://www.pingu666.modded.me.uk/mysig3.jpg
<123_GWood_JG123> NO SPAM!

JR_Greenhorn
08-17-2004, 09:55 PM
I've heard that one a bit differently, myself.

The way I've heard it is that the wedge (spoiler) on the Corsair's starboard wing was there to remedy a problem of one wing stalling before the other, thus restoring a flatter attitude when landing at slow speeds.
I've never heard anything about it being there for pilot "feel" or warning.

I'm sure someone will jump in with the whole story soon enough.

http://www.fargoairmuseum.org/F2G-1D.jpg

The12342sainT
08-18-2004, 09:46 AM
Yes, one wing stalls before the other. The wedge is there to notify the pilot of impending stall.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Fliger747
08-18-2004, 01:02 PM
Several devices are used to 'rig' an aircraft so as to try to provide an average lateral trim. Wash-in and wash-out of the wings, which is a different twist to each wing (one up, one down) to counteract propeller effects. Stall strips are a band-aid to attempt to ballance the occurence of the stall at slow speed/high angle of attack. What they do is cause an earlier flow separation across the top of the wing (which is waht causes stall) to approximatly equilibrate the occurance of the stall on both wings. Approach to stall if noticed in the ailerons is not a good thing as better control is obtained if the inner portion of the wing stalls first. Stall buffet will usally be felt in the elevator as the inner wing flow becomes turbulent at flow seperation, passing back as turbulence to the 'tail feathers'.

It was desireable to not inadvertantly drop one wing at the 'cut'.