PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys think For Honor will be the next Evolve and Titanfall?

Fatal-Feit
06-27-2015, 02:08 PM
And would that upset you? When I say Evolve and Titanfall, I mean a new and original IP that's MP focused, got people very hyped and excited, but ultimately fell short of content on launch. i.e lackluster campaign, minimal customization, shortage of maps, etc

Charging $60 with lack of content on launch seems to be the Achilles' heel of most modern video games that try to step out of the comfort zone, and the predictable abundance of DLCs leaves a disgusting aftertaste for the consumers. Taking risks are something most video game companies are very afraid of and with the case of For Honor, being developed by Ubisoft and all, I can definitely see this happening. There so are many ways it go wrong. Microtransactions that gives players a boost during matches, a 3rd of the maps and heroes being locked away in the (most likely) $25-30 Season Pass, you get the point.

Personally, while the pro-consumer in me should be devastated by the idea, I'm honestly already prepped for this in mind and is still looking forward to the game. The core concept is just too awesome to let go due to shady business practices.

What about you guys?

[EDIT] OH GAWD, THIS IS NOT ME TELLING UBISOFT TO **** ON US. I WILL STILL RAIN HELL ON THEM IF THIS HAPPENS.

Mr_Shade
06-27-2015, 02:24 PM
Lets try getting rid of the '*'s please ;)

Frane89
06-27-2015, 02:26 PM
I never were really interested in Evolve, but when I heard about it the first time, it sounded interesting mainly because it was a new idea.
After playing Evolve beta, I learned that it's not my type of game and that was that.

Titanfall looked awesome, I was pretty hyped about it.
Then I got to play the beta and it was fun. For about 20 minutes. Then it got boring and I went back to Battlefield.
It just didn't feel good to play. It had bad sound design. The card system was just confusing. The "minions" had bad AI. Guns felt weak. It was overall an unsatisfying experience.

I know this could happen with For Honor too. It can happen with any game.

I hope it won't.

CG_HouseVincent
06-27-2015, 02:56 PM
I have faith in Ubisoft's direction with this game. They have passionate people and a great game already in pre-alpha. We still have a long time before the game's release and in that time we have much more development to come. Multiplayer already looks great and all they have to do is add customization, more game modes, and the clean the UI. Keep in mind that these are things we already know are coming... Imagine what we don't know.

Warphorntek
06-27-2015, 03:12 PM
Sure there is chance it ll end up like that , but we must hope that they learned something and wont throw next such incredible game into shadow of none. Cmon if you ll care about your game enough evryone is going keep play it because of new stuff. I know you are locked by your ideas how it should looks like but there are tons of thigs which players wish to see in game and if there are no ideas, inspire from others and make it as you want it to looks like.

Dienekes12
06-27-2015, 03:26 PM
It's definitely possible, what gives me hope is that the people involved seemed very passionate about their pet project, and that e3 showed a very fun and playable game that they then declared was still in a pre-Alpha stage. To me this means they're taking the effort to try to avoid making a fail on launch, or a buggy mess of a game. But, anything could happen. We just gotta hope, and use this forum to provide constructive criticism as best we can.

SerWarhammer
06-27-2015, 03:56 PM
NO! this game can't be the next Evolve or Titanfall..... This will be a game that will form a new kind of gameplay. a genre where players can face off in realistic close combat where they will decide how to hit and where to hit the enemy. a genre that in the future will take players to clash in battles ever larger and ever more complex. I, in this game, I see a future masterpiece. tell me I'm crazy but I see a future of 24 vs 24 players who face each other in close combat in great battles using this combat system ..... IN AN OPEN WORLD! :eek:

Kenji_Hattori
06-27-2015, 04:00 PM
I never played Titan fall, never looked interesting to me. I still play Evolve, and i love Evolve. What happend with Evolve, is tons of people got angry at the Day one cosmetic DLC. For some reason that was a taboo and should never be done. But TRS did say all maps and new modes are free, and the only thing really wrong with Evolve was that the hunter and monster DLC was a bit over priced. However, people see an overpriced DLC and they think its P2W because the new hunters are better, when they arent, and they get drawn away because they cant play new hunters. But every single game of Evolve is different. They lowered the prices though now, and some of the first hunters are the best. It was just people whining about wanting free stuff because they think they deserve it since its a game with a new concept. I mean COD you had to pay for maps. MAPS! And no one complained. And Evolve does not have lack of content, people just didnt wanna look at what was there. Most people played hunt, not Evacuation, and Evacuation had more possible outcomes and challanges than Hunt. everyone judged Evolve saying there was no content because they thought "Hunt is the game mode we play and its the only one. 4 hunters Vs 1 monster, same thing every time." Obviously that is wrong because there are 12 hunters to choose from, 3 monsters and about 8 maps. The combinations are endless, there are perks, and many ways you can play. Its not just run after monster, hope to catch it and kill it. It has a very high skill cap and requires teamwork, but people dont want to do that.

With For honor, i doubt they will do that. Seeing as its also a new concept people are going to very hyped for it. However, they will not have the same problem as Evolve, i doubt they would have different classes, let alone DLC classes. Also, if they do have cosmetic DLC i hope people wont get angry over that. I have a strong feeling that For honor wont make mistakes like that. The only 2 things im worried about is 1. It will have a high skill cap, which people hate because they want a game they can just pick up and be good at. And 2. they dont have many modes so people think there is a lack of content. I would like to see what other modes they have, and what each class can do. If each class can only do limited things then it might get stale fast, but im hoping that wont happen.

Fatal-Feit
06-27-2015, 07:11 PM
Lets try getting rid of the '*'s please ;)

i'm so sorry, Mr.Shade-senpai :(

It's definitely possible, what gives me hope is that the people involved seemed very passionate about their pet project, and that e3 showed a very fun and playable game that they then declared was still in a pre-Alpha stage. To me this means they're taking the effort to try to avoid making a fail on launch, or a buggy mess of a game. But, anything could happen. We just gotta hope, and use this forum to provide constructive criticism as best we can.

yeah, Jason VandenBerghe stole my heart with his incredible passion and enthusiasm throughout E3 and after a whole decade of pitching, i'm sure he's not going to let this opportunity go to waste. however, he's still under the influence of the higher ups at Ubisoft, so if they demand DLC, microtransactions, or cut corners to meet the release date, that's what's gotta happen. but fingers crossed.

I never played Titan fall, never looked interesting to me. I still play Evolve, and i love Evolve. What happend with Evolve, is tons of people got angry at the Day one cosmetic DLC. For some reason that was a taboo and should never be done. But TRS did say all maps and new modes are free, and the only thing really wrong with Evolve was that the hunter and monster DLC was a bit over priced. However, people see an overpriced DLC and they think its P2W because the new hunters are better, when they arent, and they get drawn away because they cant play new hunters. But every single game of Evolve is different. They lowered the prices though now, and some of the first hunters are the best. It was just people whining about wanting free stuff because they think they deserve it since its a game with a new concept. I mean COD you had to pay for maps. MAPS! And no one complained. And Evolve does not have lack of content, people just didnt wanna look at what was there. Most people played hunt, not Evacuation, and Evacuation had more possible outcomes and challanges than Hunt. everyone judged Evolve saying there was no content because they thought "Hunt is the game mode we play and its the only one. 4 hunters Vs 1 monster, same thing every time." Obviously that is wrong because there are 12 hunters to choose from, 3 monsters and about 8 maps. The combinations are endless, there are perks, and many ways you can play. Its not just run after monster, hope to catch it and kill it. It has a very high skill cap and requires teamwork, but people dont want to do that.

With For honor, i doubt they will do that. Seeing as its also a new concept people are going to very hyped for it. However, they will not have the same problem as Evolve, i doubt they would have different classes, let alone DLC classes. Also, if they do have cosmetic DLC i hope people wont get angry over that. I have a strong feeling that For honor wont make mistakes like that. The only 2 things im worried about is 1. It will have a high skill cap, which people hate because they want a game they can just pick up and be good at. And 2. they dont have many modes so people think there is a lack of content. I would like to see what other modes they have, and what each class can do. If each class can only do limited things then it might get stale fast, but im hoping that wont happen.

Don't get me wrong, I love both Evolve and Titanfall. I have a soft spot for new and original IPs, and I absolutely loved the betas for both games. I've spent almost 100 hours on Evolve and 150+ hours on Titanfall. Both games did a phenomenal job of delivering the gameplay experience the devs promised, however, 3 monsters (or titans), a dozen hunters (or weapons in Titanfall's case), and several maps aren't enough to charge $60, IMO. Especially for MP focused games. CoD and Battlefield offers more content in their MP, and they still included a full-fledge campaign mode. Right now, with all of the new features, improvements, add-ons, and price drop, the games are well-worth their asking price, but they certainly weren't during their initial release, IMO.

During an interview, Jason VandenBerghe confirmed several heroes (classes) for each faction. There's a chance some of those may be DLC. I mean, it isn't like Ubisoft to release a AAA game w/o a Season Pass, and besides maps and cosmetics, there's not much else they can offer to justify the asking price. But yeah, I do certainly hope they don't make the same mistakes. Another reason I made this thread are so the devs may be aware and try not to make the same mistake Evolve and Titanfall had.

shyWolverine
06-28-2015, 02:21 AM
I hope it doesn't become the next Titanfall/Evolve. I strongly believe it wont though because you can feel the passion from Jason and the other developers. For Honour also has a campaign/Story that they can build off and add to the game. That aside the most important thing will be the online multiplayer. Hopefully we'll have dedicated servers, balanced matchmaking, and a healthy amount of starting content. If they nail that then I have no doubt For Honour will do well.

VoidWalker-
06-29-2015, 01:28 AM
And would that upset you? When I say Evolve and Titanfall, I mean a new and original IP that's MP focused, got people very hyped and excited, but ultimately fell short of content on launch. i.e lackluster campaign, minimal customization, shortage of maps, etc

Charging $60 with lack of content on launch seems to be the Achilles' heel of most modern video games that try to step out of the comfort zone, and the predictable abundance of DLCs leaves a disgusting aftertaste for the consumers. Taking risks are something most video game companies are very afraid of and with the case of For Honor, being developed by Ubisoft and all, I can definitely see this happening. There so are many ways it go wrong. Microtransactions that gives players a boost during matches, a 3rd of the maps and heroes being locked away in the (most likely) $25-30 Season Pass, you get the point.

Personally, while the pro-consumer in me should be devastated by the idea, I'm honestly already prepped for this in mind and is still looking forward to the game. The core concept is just too awesome to let go due to shady business practices.

What about you guys?

[EDIT] OH GAWD, THIS IS NOT ME TELLING UBISOFT TO **** ON US. I WILL STILL RAIN HELL ON THEM IF THIS HAPPENS.

I fell for the titanfall trap and knew exactly what was going to happen for evolve so i didnt buy it. But this to me is a different matter. Its not another generic third person multiplayer shooter and its has tons of potential even on its early stage. This is my most anticipated ubisoft title. Even more than the division.

Dead1y-Derri
07-01-2015, 12:12 PM
I think the problem with Evolve was 1) The confusing Marketing - You had like 3 different season passes, all gave you different content 2) They had basically a 100 worth of DLC on the in game store on DAY ONE which put so many people off, I mean its basically saying "Hey we know you've spent 50 on the game but we want you to spend more. In fact why don't you come down to our offices and we'll personally turn you upside down and empty your pockets."

So consumers didn't feel they were getting the full experience and that annoys many people

Titanfall was a great game and launched really well, I never got to play it on launch as I'm not an Xbox owner or PC owner, I'm a PS guy but I did have a friend who was going away on business for a couple months and he gave me his Xbox One to have a go with and I played Titanfall for two months and LOVED IT. I think what put so many off after a month or so was the lack of weaponry and overall content.There wasn't enough.

Now I kind of can't trust Ubisoft and I do apologize for what I'm going to say as it might sound harsh but I just have lost faith in the company after last year. I mean Watch Dogs launched rather well on PS but it launched horribly on PC and with the whole graphical downgrade drama and what not made me feel uneasy. Secondly the launch of AC Unity was so BAD. I mean they really fudged up on that, the game could have done with about another 6 months in development, especially on PC. I mean on Console it has issues but if you were PC gamer you must have felt so screwed. I mean the Devs knew it wasn't ready, I suppose that's why they had a review Embargo set for was it 12 hours after the game launched?

12 hours after the game launched. Ladies and Gentlemen may I present Corporate Censorship !!!!

Then the games that launched with no problems like Far Cry 4 were just lack luster games, you know they were GOOD but they weren't anything special. Oh and I'm wondering does a Dev on the Far Cry team have a fetish for Radio and Bell Towers? Is that a thing?

I've lost all faith in the company and I want to love the content again but I'm sceptical.

Things they need to have in the game.

1) A close to flawless launch of the game - No Downed servers - I can understand day one lag but they need to full functional and working on day one
2) They need to avoid having too many Micro Transactions in game because that can put people off, especially in an online MP game
3) They need to be honest and inform consumers if they game will have launch issues and address them head on.

I have hope that the game will be excellent but after last year my hope is somewhat diminished by previous years performance. If they can restore my faith with the next couple of Ubisoft titles that I'm getting such as AC Syndicate, I think I will be excited for this but I'm remaining conservative.

Mr_Moonstone
07-03-2015, 04:01 PM
Hey hey,

as for the shortage of maps problem: i would suggest somewhat randomized maps, meaming texture sets, day times with light setting and weather (there's a thread in feedback & suggestions).
Some games already had or will have procedural levels. As far as i can imagine it's hardly possible for a game like this to go all procedural but slightly randomized maps would most definitley up the replayability (unlike titanfall:p)

greets

WYRDB0Y
07-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Interesting game modes is a must. Bigger and/or progressive maps like battlefield rush could also improve the replayability. Multiple objectives (which could also be randomized) so it's not the same every match could also help, heard it in the interview that they might do map objectives if it works.

Beas7ie
07-04-2015, 12:14 AM
I never had any interest in Evolve or Titanfall simply because of the first person perspective. I hate having to play a viewpoint that cheaps out on animations and basically forces me to wear horse blinders.

As for the other stuff, even if For Honor isn't completely ground breaking and amazing, I'm sure that so long as they don't release it as a buggy mess like they did with AC Unity, it will be well worth the $60 price tag.

Rain-Dragon
01-29-2017, 11:39 AM
You have to give them credits for not Hyping the game up beyond reason.

But after playing the Tech Test 2 and the Closed Beta, I can say I am no longer as confident as I was at the beginning.
I had high hopes for it, but the more I played it, the more I saw 2 major problems crystallizing before my eyes:

A) The terrible connection Ubisoft is infamous for.
B) The wishy-washy course they chose. It seems they try to please as many people as possible at the same time, franken-stitching together something that is supposed to have a little bit of something for everyone, inconsistent and shattered like a puzzle where each piece is borrowed from a different puzzle set.

For the realism nerds: A few realistic moves.
For the fantasy guys: A few unrealistic, flashy moves.

For the creative people: A little visual customization.
For the authenticity nerds: A few authentic looking visual pieces.

For theory-crafters: A little bit of stat customization.
For the hardcore competitives: Stats-free game modes.

It's just too many bits of everything and too little of anything to make a coherent experience that would really satisfy anyone.

CommanderFlynn1
01-29-2017, 04:22 PM
yeah, Jason VandenBerghe stole my heart with his incredible passion and enthusiasm throughout E3 and after a whole decade of pitching, i'm sure he's not going to let this opportunity go to waste. however, he's still under the influence of the higher ups at Ubisoft, so if they demand DLC, microtransactions, or cut corners to meet the release date, that's what's gotta happen. but fingers crossed

During an interview, Jason VandenBerghe confirmed several heroes (classes) for each faction. There's a chance some of those may be DLC. I mean, it isn't like Ubisoft to release a AAA game w/o a Season Pass, and besides maps and cosmetics, there's not much else they can offer to justify the asking price. But yeah, I do certainly hope they don't make the same mistakes. Another reason I made this thread are so the devs may be aware and try not to make the same mistake Evolve and Titanfall had.

To be fair this is why I have high hopes for For Honor. It's rare to see such passion from a developer especially in the Triple A industry that get's me hyped.
For me it also helps that I love melee comabt in any game be it MMO, RPG or FPS. (Yep...I'm /THAT/ guy running with a shotgun/SMG and meleeing all the things) For me this game is a complete love letter for me.

However We do have to be aware that this is Ubisoft. I've heard rumours circulating that the Steel currency will be buy-able with real world money (which in turn can net you better gear) as for the Season Pass. I'm just done with the whole thing. It's here to stay and I';m fed up of shouting at brick walls about them. If a game I enjoy has one and I know I can play it more down the line, I'll gra one.

You're all forgetting that Titanfall/Evolve had one crucial thing missing when they first launched, and that was a campaign. For Honor includes one at launch, which I think will help.
But it'll be up to the Dev's to keep For Honor alive. I know alot of people will feel that the game will get repetitive real fast.
But as someone who has put over 300 hours into Chivalry...I think I'm fine personally.

I mean c'mon...when was the last time a MELEE ORIENTATED multiplayer game release in the Triple A industry?
I honestly cannot answer that myself

Dezlow-
01-29-2017, 06:00 PM
Needs dedicated servers.
Needs Ranked modes.

The only thing that holds most competitive gamer's attention is a proper ranked mode with divisions, season, etc.

I could see myself playing this for over a year if there was a ranked mode. If not, then craigs list will most likely have my copy within 3 months.

Oh, and any proper MP focused game where milliseconds made all the difference need dedicated servers, this is just a joke right now.