PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Fighters vs. Forgotton Battles:AEP vs. Battle of Britain

darkhorizon11
05-10-2004, 12:08 PM
I was looking over some of the ups and downs for these new games that are supposed to grace our computers this fall and of course AEP which has a new patch coming out someday.

Unfortunately getting AEP is still on my list of things to pick up so I just have FB right now. Anyways I was curious what are the quirks about BoB? Forgotten Battles/AEP has its massive range of unique aircraft and weapons. PF is the first game since CFS2 so try and cover the pac theater with stunning graphics and realistic depictions of many of those lesser known battles. But what puts BoB apart? I'm mean obviously it will be realistic and have a lots of aircraft and blah, blah, blah but is theres something else I'm missing about this? Plus the time frame it covers is far shorter than any of its contemporaries. I only say this because I'm on the college budget and I just can't afford to run out and buy every new game so I must say that right now I'm really leaning towards PF.

BTW this is no bash at all to BoB its just an educated inquiry so please keep it civil.

darkhorizon11
05-10-2004, 12:08 PM
I was looking over some of the ups and downs for these new games that are supposed to grace our computers this fall and of course AEP which has a new patch coming out someday.

Unfortunately getting AEP is still on my list of things to pick up so I just have FB right now. Anyways I was curious what are the quirks about BoB? Forgotten Battles/AEP has its massive range of unique aircraft and weapons. PF is the first game since CFS2 so try and cover the pac theater with stunning graphics and realistic depictions of many of those lesser known battles. But what puts BoB apart? I'm mean obviously it will be realistic and have a lots of aircraft and blah, blah, blah but is theres something else I'm missing about this? Plus the time frame it covers is far shorter than any of its contemporaries. I only say this because I'm on the college budget and I just can't afford to run out and buy every new game so I must say that right now I'm really leaning towards PF.

BTW this is no bash at all to BoB its just an educated inquiry so please keep it civil.

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-10-2004, 12:13 PM
PF will use the FB:AEP engine. Therefore, if you have AEP installed and running well by then, you should be able to install PF and jump right in with some measure of success (i.e. running smoothly AND familiarity of FM, etc,...)

BoB won't be released until God-knows-when. By then, you'll probably want to pick it up as well. (and hopefully won't have to "choose" between them)

TB

http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/il2sig2.jpg

Capt._Tenneal
05-10-2004, 12:28 PM
BATTLE OF BRITAIN will be a different game engine entirely. You could say it will be the next generation of Oleg's flight sims. Yes the time period will be small at first, but just as the IL-2 games have gone from just an Eastern Front sim to other theaters, the same will happen (or is planned for BoB). Using the BoB model, there will be a Med version, and maybe back to the Eastern Front and the Pacific also.

609IAP_Recon
05-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Yep, BoB is the next generation flight sim engine. More details, etc...

I'll catch some grief here, but you ought to hold off on AEP until the patch comes out -it has alot of issues.

Personally, FB 1.22 is the best so far.

PF will be interesting if they don't fix the ship flak FPS hit issues - it will be unplayable with a sea of ships firing flak at one time http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Salute!

IV/JG51_Recon

http://www.forgottenskies.com/jg51sig2.jpg

adadaead
05-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Wait how could there be different theaters in a game called BATTLE OF THE BRITTIAN.

Only in the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.

El Turo
05-10-2004, 12:31 PM
How could there be other planes to fly in a simulation called "IL-2 Sturmovik" ?

OMFG!

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL

TugZooey
05-10-2004, 12:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by adadaead:
Wait how could there be different theaters in a game called BATTLE OF THE BRITTIAN.

Only in the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The titles seem to relate to the release, but once patches, updates and 3rd party modellers come around, the game will be quite different. FB encompasses way more than the ground pounding eastern front IL2.

Bartsimpson-
05-11-2004, 08:04 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by adadaead:

Simple - first of all there were the channel convoy attacks followed by the fighter command airfield raids - manston , hawkinge and kenley etc: then there were the daylight raids over london and southhampton , the 'blitz' raids over london , liverpool , glasgow ,coventry and the midlands there were also raids from norway attacking the home fleet in scotland and the shipyards in newcastle which all went on relentless way into 1941 , at the begining of 41' you then had r.a.f. fighter sweeps and circuses over the pas de calais and st'nazire areas to entice the luftwaffe into battle .

Hope this opened your mind a little in what you can expect in the next sim .

Btw , britain in battle of britain is spelt britain not brittain .

Bartman .

[This message was edited by Bartsimpson- on Tue May 11 2004 at 07:22 AM.]