PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Settings Discussion 2.0; least favoured settings?

The_Kiwi_
06-26-2015, 03:37 AM
Within the poll for future AC settings discussion, it gave you the option to choose from the choices for settings you'd like to see
But with any useful survey, there is a null survey which tests for the opposition
So for this poll, choose the setting(s) you would not like to see in an AC game for whatever reason
I'm using the same options as the other poll for comparative purposes

Namikaze_17
06-26-2015, 04:44 AM
1930's Missouri

Not enough Jazz...

TheOpenhouse
06-26-2015, 08:20 AM
Any time period where guns are more prevalent than swords. In Unity, yes there were lots of rifles and pistols but swords were still very usable. A time like the World Wars with rifles that have 8 round mags wouldn't make the game boring. Of course Ubisoft could have the assassin's storyline pass behind the lines without guns but idk. Just wouldn't work in my eyes

Sorrosyss
06-26-2015, 08:20 AM
World War II has been done to death in all forms of entertainment. I'd rather not see it again when we have the possibility of more interesting and untouched time periods.

Consus_E
06-26-2015, 09:42 AM
Feudal Japan: Only when it's suggested because "we could be Ninjaz with Katanas vs Templar Samuraiz!" I'm not apposed to a Japanese setting at all, I just think people want it for all the wrong reasons.
Modern Day/The Future: Because one of the main appeals of the franchise is the historical tourism.
Playing as a previous protagonist in any setting.
20th century settings: I find them too modern and fail to see the purpose of using the Animus when it happened so recently.
The Wild West: Assassin's Creed ≠ Red Dead Redemption.
Egypt: Only when the suggestion is "we could climb da pyramids and... We could run around the desert?" Similar to Japan, I think too many people suggest this without giving much thought to the potential it has. I'd rather see Mamluk Egypt or even Byzantine Egypt.

Xstantin
06-26-2015, 04:52 PM
WW2
Feudal Japan

VoXngola
06-26-2015, 05:24 PM
Feudal Japan: Only when it's suggested because "we could be Ninjaz with Katanas vs Templar Samuraiz!" I'm not apposed to a Japanese setting at all, I just think people want it for all the wrong reasons.
Modern Day/The Future: Because one of the main appeals of the franchise is the historical tourism.
Playing as a previous protagonist in any setting.
20th century settings: I find them too modern and fail to see the purpose of using the Animus when it happened so recently.
The Wild West: Assassin's Creed ≠ Red Dead Redemption.
Egypt: Only when the suggestion is "we could climb da pyramids and... We could run around the desert?" Similar to Japan, I think too many people suggest this without giving much thought to the potential it has. I'd rather see Mamluk Egypt or even Byzantine Egypt.

Yup, those are pretty much my thoughts as well.

GunnerGalactico
06-26-2015, 07:32 PM
I really like Feudal Japan and Imperial China/Korea. I've been rooting for an Asian based setting for a long time because I find the history, countries and architecture to be very fascinating. I've also noticed that whenever Feudal Japan is mentioned, people have a very clichéd view about it... which is quite a shame, really. Below, is one of my posts from the previous AC settings discussion thread.

Japan has some really fascinating historical events that can be worked around and used to weave a good story. It would actually make sense to have based during the: Sengoku, Azuchi-Momoyama and Edo period when Christian missionaries first set foot on Japanese shores.

Few of the biggest reasons why most people hate the idea of having an AC game set in Japan is because of the whole "Ninjas vs Samurai" thing and that they have this clichéd view about the time period itself. Games like the: Ninja Gaiden, Tenchu, Onimusha and Samurai Warriors franchises are also the reason why people have a preconceived idea of what a Feudal AC game might be like. If Ubisoft does use this time period for an AC game, it can be done and it is not too overly complicated. The idea can be similar to AC Memories, whereby both Samurai and Ninjas are members of the Assassin Brotherhood, except not as a card game.

I-Like-Pie45
06-26-2015, 08:28 PM
Israel

THE_JOKE_KING33
06-26-2015, 10:05 PM
Ancient Japan

Honestly, I don't want an AC Japan game because people will over hype it so badly that, unless it's the best game ever made, there's no way it can't fail.

The_Kiwi_
06-26-2015, 11:34 PM
Israel

I think a first century Israeli game would be splendid

I've noticed that most people are voting against World War II
Hopefully Ubisoft gets the message and stays away from the 20th century

I-Like-Pie45
06-27-2015, 12:18 AM
no it wouldn't

free palestine

SixKeys
06-27-2015, 12:41 AM
Vikings, both World Wars and Japan (yeah, I said it). Viking era didn't have enough tall buildings, WW is too modern and Japan too predictable.

Matknapers18
06-27-2015, 12:46 AM
I like them all. Difficult for me to pick here, Im happy for Assassin's Creed to go anywhere at anytime. The whole "Assassin's Creed is getting too modern" really doesn't bother me, I don't understand it. At the end of the day, history is history, regardless of whether it was 40 years ago or 400 years ago. Whether the older settings are more 'rich' or 'exciting' is completely subjective. An 11th century setting isn't necessarily more 'rich' than a setting in the 20th. And to say that 'AC gameplay wouldn't function in a modern environment' is just a shoddy assumption. We don't know that. They've never done it. To each their own I guess, but Im personally not bothered by the time period as long as the open world offers variety. I obviosuly have a few settings I would love to see though :rolleyes:

If I had to pick a least favourite, it would probably be the Australian settings and that is due to my own ignorance of not being familiar with the setting. But I won't dismiss a setting for not knowing about it. Could still be awesome. I didn't know about Renaissance Italy until AC2.

The_Kiwi_
06-27-2015, 06:35 AM
All you need to know about Australian history is that it was colonised by criminals and they justified killing the indigenous people because they were more evolved, and then starting just kidnapping indigenous children in order to "breed out the black" when they realised they couldn't get away with genocide

Australian History 101

Namikaze_17
06-27-2015, 06:47 AM
Ancient Japan

Honestly, I don't want an AC Japan game because people will over hype it so badly that, unless it's the best game ever made, there's no way it can't fail.

Praise this post.

X_xWolverinEx_X
06-27-2015, 07:40 AM
All you need to know about Australian history is that it was colonised by criminals and they justified killing the indigenous people because they were more evolved, and then starting just kidnapping indigenous children in order to "breed out the black" when they realised they couldn't get away with genocide

Australian History 101

he is right

Mr.Black24
06-28-2015, 04:06 AM
Japan and Egypt is way too overhyped. I really hate that Ninjas vs Samurai idea, and climbing pyramids since that is exactly what they really just want. Another game series can do just the same, and it wouldn't even matter if Ubi does it too or not.

If we go to Egypt, it better be when Altair was just disbanding the Assassins around the world. Makes it much more interesting that way, especially since in real history, the Mameluke were a power at that time in Egypt that really took hold of the Assassin Order as their own personal assassins, abide it was a hostile takeover since the order was weak then, so it would be interesting to see how they operated alongside them.

Vikings makes no sense, since its all just huts and tents during those days. Everyone wants to climb huge buildings, especially how people complained about AC3 and AC Rogue's Frontier, so I bet no one wants a game that is 90% dedicated to that.

I actually would want a WWI game, since it was the time that close combat was truly dirty and gritty then WWI, as weapons like swords, clubs, knives were much more used than in WWII. Plus stealth can be greatly emphasised in order to avoid getting shot by machine gun fire. We can also add to the fact that since machine guns were a new thing on the field, the chances of gun jamming were really high, making close combat more able then later periods.

These concept art pieces from the online game, Assassin's Creed Project Legacy, convinced me greatly

Holidays: Chapter 1 - Ghosts of Christmas Past

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110423064128/assassinscreed/images/d/de/PL_Christmas_Truth.jpg

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111025044853/assassinscreed/images/2/2e/Red_And_Grangene.png

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111025044914/assassinscreed/images/1/14/All_Is_Calm.png

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111025044925/assassinscreed/images/3/3e/Swap.png

Altair1789
06-28-2015, 06:47 AM
Step 1: Don't give us Japan

Step 2: Give us Vikings

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a game with Darim. He assassinated Genghis Khan, right? There's still a lot of content in that time of his and Altaïr's life

Hans684
06-28-2015, 08:43 AM
None really, AC's potential is to big for me to dismiss. A game during the WW would be different from our other games, a Viking game would be different....etc. Each setting comes with something of their own, something making that AC special in it's own way. The Kenway Saga is different compared to Ezio's Trilogy(and wise versa), The Kenway Saga and Ezio's Trilogy is different compared to AC1. All those compared to Unity is different, the same can be said for Syndicate. So no, I don't have a least favorite. Everyone's least favorite is missed potential my eyes, why limit the history AC is based on? Then again we also have Alternate Realities(Calculations), MD and in theory(thanks to the AOE or The Eye) the future. So much potential, I'm not gonna throw it away over simple things as guns. AC can be far more, it can be all kinds of games.

The_Kiwi_
06-28-2015, 09:11 AM
A lot of people don't want Japan or Egypt just because it is "overhyped", interesting

I don't think Egypt would be overly exciting from an AC gameplay POV
But I think Japan has a lot of potential, if they don't go the cliché route

But I'm glad most people are dismissing gun-related eras

GunnerGalactico
06-28-2015, 08:20 PM
So Feudal Japan is too clichéd and overhyped,but the French Revolution and Victorian London are not!? (in terms of most desired time period) :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
06-28-2015, 08:46 PM
So Feudal Japan is too clichéd and overhyped,but the French Revolution and Victorian London are not!? (in terms of most desired time period) :rolleyes:

They can be overhyped ( and Unity was to a degree), but not to the levels Japan would get to. Everyone and their mothers would go crazy over the game, expecting nothing less of perfection.

It just wouldn't be pretty in the long run.

As for clichéd, well they handled Black Flag right and that could've been cliché as hell so it could go either way as execution is key.

I'm really more on the fence on Ubi making an ACTUAL Asian AC as you and others have described ( hence why my mind is open on the setting); not all that "ninjas vs. samurais" nonsense which really turns me off.

Shahkulu101
06-28-2015, 08:59 PM
A sad state of affairs when you don't want popular a setting to be picked because you don't even believe it it can be done justice...

The whole Japan is too predictable argument is, forgive me, a load of poppycock! Victorian London is even MORE predictable, it's been topping fan polls since yonder - so if you criticize Japan for being too predictable that's a double standard I'm afraid.

GunnerGalactico
06-28-2015, 09:07 PM
They can be overhyped, but not to the levels Japan would get to. Everyone and their mothers would go crazy over the game, expecting nothing less of perfection.

It just wouldn't be pretty...

As for clichéd, well they handled Black Flag right and that could've been cliché as hell so it could go either way.

I'm really more on the fence on Ubi making an ACTUAL Asian AC as you described ( hence why my mind is open on it), not all that "ninjas vs. samurais" nonsense.

Points taken, but I doubt that it will be blown out of proportion like that. The only thing that irks me is that most people do not really understand how the demographics actually work, and I'm not even sure if I actually care about explaining how it does. But then again, same way how others feel about Japan... that's how I feel about Egypt and Vikings. Either way, I'm not offended by everybody else and I hope they are not offended by me.

Namikaze_17
06-28-2015, 09:14 PM
I'm not offended by everybody else and I hope they are not offended by me.

Oh, no.

If anything, I enjoy your talks about how the setting can work in AC. :)

No offense taken.

GunnerGalactico
06-28-2015, 09:25 PM
Oh, no.

If anything, I enjoy your talks about how the setting can work in AC. :)

No offense taken.

Thanks! I appreciate it when people like you genuinely enjoy reading my posts about that particular time period. I've always envisioned if Ubi ever took that route, it would mainly focus around the time when Portuguese Jesuit priests travelled to Japan in the 16th century in order to spread Christianity, but in actual fact... they are there to recruit more followers to the Templar brethren and secure a treaty :)

To me, it could be more about politics than fierce battles.

Namikaze_17
06-28-2015, 09:33 PM
Thanks! I appreciate it when people like you genuinely enjoy reading my posts about that particular time period. I've always envisioned if Ubi ever took that route, it would mainly focus around the time when Portuguese Jesuit priests travelled to Japan in the 16th century in order to spread Christianity, but in actual fact... they are there to recruit more followers to the Templar brethren and secure a treaty :)

Clever, you sure you aren't apart of the writing team? :rolleyes:

GunnerGalactico
06-28-2015, 09:36 PM
Clever, you sure you aren't apart of the writing team? :rolleyes:

I wish :rolleyes: :p

ze_topazio
06-29-2015, 01:10 AM

To me, it could be more about politics than fierce battles.

2016 Martin Scorsese movie is about that theme, Portuguese Jesuit priests in Japan in the first half of the 17th century during the massive persecution of Christians that took place around that time, Ubisoft could try to capitalize on that to sell a couple extra copies, maybe..., if you believe the rumors, that could be the case.

Hans684
06-29-2015, 05:06 AM
In short, I'm not voting.

EmptyCrustacean
06-29-2015, 01:13 PM
World War II has been done to death in all forms of entertainment. I'd rather not see it again when we have the possibility of more interesting and untouched time periods.

This. In fact, most of what was on the list I voted against.
Anybody that's what an AC set in World War 2 doesn't understand the appeal of the game.

Mr.Black24
07-01-2015, 07:06 PM
This. In fact, most of what was on the list I voted against.
Anybody that's what an AC set in World War 2 doesn't understand the appeal of the game. Its kind of why I want to go to WWI, as I rarely hear about that time period being touched upon in anything really.

I-Like-Pie45
07-01-2015, 07:15 PM
any setting that allows for a twin brother-sister romance in the story i'll support

riku1274
07-01-2015, 07:47 PM
The American civil war because I fear they would make Robert E. Lee a Templar and I am a direct descendant of him and a few other minor confederate leaders and my family has lived in Illinois for the last 4 generations so I'd probably be offended if they made any side pro Templar

I-Like-Pie45
07-01-2015, 08:16 PM
a civil war ac game would probably involve the assassins and templars experiencing schisms over philosophy of how to approach the civil war

it could also be used to tell a beautiful story of two lovers, brother and sister, torn between Union and Confederacy and the game ends with them reconciling with a kiss

Xstantin
07-01-2015, 09:00 PM
so I'd probably be offended if they made any side pro Templar

it's fiction and it would be quite gentle a la redcoats/patriots in ACIII :rolleyes: Being offended is fun these days anyway

marvelfannumber
07-02-2015, 01:05 AM
it's fiction and it would be quite gentle a la redcoats/patriots in ACIII :rolleyes: Being offended is fun these days anyway

Hey I don't know about you, but if Ubisoft made one of my ancestors into a Templar (or even a complete ***hole Templar) I would literaly faint.

......too bad my ancestry is super boring......

The_Kiwi_
07-02-2015, 02:22 AM
The American civil war because I fear they would make Robert E. Lee a Templar and I am a direct descendant of him and a few other minor confederate leaders and my family has lived in Illinois for the last 4 generations so I'd probably be offended if they made any side pro Templar

I love how the first comment you made on these forums was just to say that you are a descendant of an American historical figure
Welcome

-----

Hundred Years War looks to be the least hated

Do you guys think Ubisoft should make games based on poll results from least hated, or most requested?
I think least hated

Namikaze_17
07-02-2015, 02:31 AM
Hundred Years War looks to be the least hated

Do you guys think Ubisoft should make games based on poll results from least hated, or most requested?
I think least hated

The many outweigh the few.

Xstantin
07-02-2015, 02:38 AM
Hey I don't know about you, but if Ubisoft made one of my ancestors into a Templar (or even a complete ***hole Templar) I would literaly faint.

Well, I wasn't really serious but I do think it's funny how people become way more sensitive about historical figures/events as the games get closer to modern time. I mean I've seen more complaints about the AmRev or Robespierre compared to something like Ezio games. WW2 game might be a disaster with potential Templars I guess

I-Like-Pie45
07-02-2015, 04:56 AM
it'll probably be revealed that the templars enacted the holocaust in order to provide a reason to create the state of israel in an ac ww2 game