PDA

View Full Version : My E3 interview with Patrice Desilets, discussing Assassin's Creed and Ancestors!

loomer979
06-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Note: the picture quality is slightly blurry as I was using a new camera and had some autofocus issues that I tried to lessen in post. Apologies, and hope you all enjoy this very special interview!

Timestamp shortcuts (clickable in the video description)

0:00 - Has Patrice played any of the recent AC games?
5:10 - Was there ever any talk about Patrice helming AC again when he returned to Ubisoft?
7:00 - The Ancestors reveal in Croatia
9:40 - Patrice's thoughts on Panache and crowdfunding
11:20 - Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey
13:26 - The "episodic" nature of Ancestors
15:56 - When will Ancestors be playable?
17:14 - The challenges of a game spanning multiple eras
23:01 - Patrice's pitch to AC fans, and reflections on the creed.
24:42 - Altair or Ezio? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv8nstYdHc0

Assassin_M
06-22-2015, 08:48 PM
Wow. Well, I was excited for this game before but now I think AC might be replaced...or why replaced, the more the merrier. Historical open world fantasy, I feel like i'm a child again.

Great interview, man, as always.

Zafar1981
06-22-2015, 09:40 PM
​Great people do great work

SirTookTookIII
06-22-2015, 10:46 PM
I cant wait to hear more about this game, i love me some history.

D.I.D.
06-22-2015, 11:05 PM
Great to hear those answers. He always speaks so enthusiastically on these things, and it's nice to see his spirit for his work is still boundless.

EmptyCrustacean
06-22-2015, 11:07 PM
Ubisoft just need to pay the man whatever he wants so he can come back and save this franchise!!!

loomer979
06-22-2015, 11:17 PM
Great to hear those answers. He always speaks so enthusiastically on these things, and it's nice to see his spirit for his work is still boundless.

Indeed! I love his passion and how infectious it is.

ACfan443
06-23-2015, 12:38 AM
Great interview. And that Gameinformer spread was such a good read, did a brilliant job of detailing his run-ins with Ubisoft and the on-going lawsuit. With regards to 1666, this part in particular was interesting
http://i.imgur.com/5m3XPx5.jpg
As well as this
http://imgur.com/vRLRWgb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QczB8fB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NkVD5zF.jpg

Wonder if Ubi'll ever relinquish control over the game.

Altair1789
06-23-2015, 06:23 AM
I really want to see Patrice's take on the American Revolution, as well as some other time periods

killzab
06-23-2015, 11:57 AM
2 hours were enough to realize what a piece of **** AC3 was and he said "lol nope".

At least we know the game would have been massively different with Patrice and most probably better.

EmptyCrustacean
06-23-2015, 12:39 PM
2 hours were enough to realize what a piece of **** AC3 was and he said "lol nope".

At least we know the game would have been massively different with Patrice and most probably better.

tbf it had nothing to do with whether or not ACIII was a good game or not. His comment implies that if he played Black Flag he would have hated it also.
It was about seeing something that was his baby being done in a way that he wouldn't have necessarily done.
It was about relinquishing control of something he saw as his own and accepting that he was powerless to do anything about it.

When we play an AC game we can say what we like but when he plays AC now he can say with CREDIBILITY to his claims what they could have done, how they could have done it and whether it would have worked seeing as he builty the mechanics and knows, first hand, the process that goes into the making of these game. It must be hard to watch something you created "violated". It must have drove him crazy.

Fatal-Feit
06-23-2015, 12:46 PM

His decision to not play the games had NOTHING to do with quality. He created AC, it was his art, his baby. He could not continue AC3, not because he thought it sucked, but because he couldn't stomach not being the one to have made the game. --To have called the choices. It's working on a painting and then having been stripped from it with someone else finishing it.

[EDIT] OH SNAP, someone beat me to it.

I-Like-Pie45
06-23-2015, 04:13 PM
you people've got something on your noses

skiddalz
07-11-2015, 03:33 AM
Great video and interview. Does anyone know where I can find the full interview Patrice did with Gameinformer? Or a link?

VestigialLlama4
07-12-2015, 05:46 AM
Patrice Desilets not playing the games is similar to Martin Scorsese saying he can't see The Sopranos, a show blatantly based on Goodfellas with a lot of the same actors and same general setting. Likewise, Alfred Hitchcock hated the James Bond films because of how thoroughly they ripped off ''North by Northwest''. Of course, Sopranos and James Bond movies still have their fans.

Wonderful interview again Loomer. You are terrific at this.

Zafar1981
07-12-2015, 09:43 AM
He is a maestro game maker. Prince of Persia Sand of time was master piece. After him its a fail product of Ubi$oft. Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 another master piece. After him lol China chronicles, unity and also an Assassin game whose hero was a templer.

Alphacos007
07-13-2015, 03:55 AM
Wow, how did I not see this before. I wasn't that much interested in the game tbh, but now I can't wait to see it. Awesome interview as always.

king-hailz
07-13-2015, 12:31 PM
So it will be like this.

He will release a game called ancestors a humankind odyssey. It will be on our systems and we will be in an open world where we play an hour of story where we learn a skill. After we have learnt the skill and after the story we have the world to explore and use our new skill. Then a month later we get another chapter in the story where we learn a new skill and so on. Until we end up with a 25 hour long game.

This is such a great way for a starting company. It is cheap and you don't need many workers to make an hour of story and side content and since it is 'episodic' they will be able to make the money a game like AC does 'episodically'. And after this series they will have the funds (hopefully) to build the company to create full AAA games!

Zafar1981
07-13-2015, 09:46 PM
When Patrice left Ubi$oft in 2010 I thought one man didn't make any difference. When i played AC 3 I start feeling that the new team have no creative idea like Patrice. AC 1 was a master piece and AC 2 was the perfect sequel. Brotherhood introduced lot of things like streak kill, throwing weapon to enemies, lift and your brotherhood.

After that there was no innovation in the series and game after game its becoming boring.

So it will be like this.

He will release a game called ancestors a humankind odyssey. It will be on our systems and we will be in an open world where we play an hour of story where we learn a skill. After we have learnt the skill and after the story we have the world to explore and use our new skill. Then a month later we get another chapter in the story where we learn a new skill and so on. Until we end up with a 25 hour long game.

This is such a great way for a starting company. It is cheap and you don't need many workers to make an hour of story and side content and since it is 'episodic' they will be able to make the money a game like AC does 'episodically'. And after this series they will have the funds (hopefully) to build the company to create full AAA games!

You are guessing right. That's his plan but I don't think he is in a mood to build a big studio. Just read his interview in gameinformer magazine. I wish him good luck for his future titles.

king-hailz
07-14-2015, 12:04 AM
You are guessing right. That's his plan but I don't think he is in a mood to build a big studio. Just read his interview in gameinformer magazine. I wish him good luck for his future titles.

Yeah I don't mean 10 studios around the world like ubisoft. But having one big studio of about 200 people in the next 5 years or so. That will be a massive accomplishment. I think that's what he is aiming for. The 'motto' of the company is to start small and grow big. And that's what would happen. Maybe in the next 15 years ubisoft will be a thing of the past when we have Panache!

Zafar1981
07-16-2015, 11:57 AM
Yeah I don't mean 10 studios around the world like ubisoft. But having one big studio of about 200 people in the next 5 years or so. That will be a massive accomplishment. I think that's what he is aiming for. The 'motto' of the company is to start small and grow big. And that's what would happen. Maybe in the next 15 years ubisoft will be a thing of the past when we have Panache!
Yeah, may be in next 5 year he will make a big studio. But in that interview he mentioned fewer than 100 people. I believe he will appoint right man for right job. There are lots of good games which were developed by small team like CD project red team who create Witcher 3 with a small team.

My friend is in a game developing company and according to him a team of 70 to 100 people can make a good AAA game within 2 to 3 years from scratch. And also according to him the way Ubi$oft put multiple studios and team of nearly 1000 personal the game should not take more than 1 year. The bigger the team is, it become more difficult to produce a quality stuff. Small teams are the one who create quality product.