PDA

View Full Version : My E3 interview with Marc-Alexis Cote (AC Syndicate Creative Director)

loomer979
06-19-2015, 08:13 PM
Timestamps (these are clickable in the video description)

0:00 - Modern day
1:12 - Will 'black box' assassinations return?
1:52 - How is gameplay affected by 2 protagonists?
2:40 - Any references to famous English Assassins/Templars?
3:02 - Character switching mechanics
3:32 - Will the parkour/puzzle tombs return? Rope launcher discussion.
5:08 - Any other parkour changes?
5:46 - How is the hood toggled?
7:05 - Assassin HQ?
7:35 - Ambient music? Composer?
9:46 - Hidden blade combat?

More E3 interviews soon over the next few days! Some of them are special surprises :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nh6Lbg9uoA

Going4Quests
06-19-2015, 08:38 PM
Are the suprises for Syndicate or other games at E3?

Shahkulu101
06-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Good interview, cheers Loomer. :D

I'm confused on the subject of ambient music, some have said they asked developers and been told it was in and others have heard it themselves. Was MAC (love that nickname) saying that there is no ambient music or just that it stops when you're near a pub that's playing music or whatever?

Great to hear MD will have some substance, hope we control Galina whilst on board the Altair II.

m4r-k7
06-19-2015, 09:09 PM
Good interview, I am glad you pressed on some things. Its annoying how everyone wants ambient music and a simple toggle for the hood, yet they don't implement it. They have done ambient music before, why not get it back? I don't want to hear pub songs, I want that sense of mystery which is what ambient music creates. I am happy about the modern day answer, it seems the modern day is going to be much more interesting.

NondairyGold
06-19-2015, 09:15 PM
Awesome interview :)

I love how that without saying anything he's actually confirmed lots! This first truly modern day AC will actually (hopefully) be the first one with an actual fully playable Modern day (London?) setting, and; the return of tombs (possibly Roman/First Civ) which in my opinion are an AC staple. Jesper Kyd's possible return is great too.. they're hitting all the right notes so far.

Can't wait for more info :)

Assassin_M
06-19-2015, 09:16 PM
Great work, Loomer. Nice interview.

Good interview, cheers Loomer. :D

I'm confused on the subject of ambient music, some have said they asked developers and been told it was in and others have heard it themselves. Was MAC (love that nickname) saying that there is no ambient music or just that it stops when you're near a pub that's playing music or whatever?

Great to hear MD will have some substance, hope we control Galina whilst on board the Altair II.
on the issue of music, from what I'v been told they're trying to find a balance between full on ambient music and music coming from NPCs ingame (there's a word for that). From what I played, there's AMAZING ambient music on rooftops. Very reminiscent of Jesper Kyd music. I have only heard music from NPCs as I walked the streets.

Frank9182011
06-19-2015, 09:24 PM
Can't watch the video at the moment. Can someone summarize what was said about ambient music?

Also, what's with the post above referencing "Jesper Kyd's possible return"?

Shahkulu101
06-19-2015, 09:28 PM
Thanks M, I think that's a good direction to go with because I really enjoyed the tavern music in AC4 as well as the ambient tracks when you were just free-roaming. Although the natural music of the environment seems like it's going to be more full-on in Syndicate than it was in past games so finding a good balance will be harder.

Oh and I really hope it is Jesper Kyd, from MAC's words the announcement of the composer is going to be something very pleasing to fans. I can't think what else it would be - would be amazing if he returned...

Farlander1991
06-19-2015, 09:30 PM
Nice interview :)

The only answer I'm not satisfied with is the one from 2.40, regarding the references. That they try to keep the brand interwined between all the installments is something that I'd rather see less, honestly. Can't we just have something more or less standalone for once? Like AC4, if you don't count the awful plot point from the novel that Edward pretty much was in the conflict versus Templars long before the events of the game. Can't something be 'this just happened'?

m4r-k7
06-19-2015, 09:35 PM
I don't think Jesper Kyd is doing the soundtrack as I think Marc said that the composer is actually from London in an interview I read whilst Jesper Kyd is from Denmark. I can't remember what interview this was in but I'll try and find it. I might be wrong but I remember him saying the composer was from London himself.

Xstantin
06-19-2015, 10:00 PM
They have done ambient music before, why not get it back? I don't want to hear pub songs, I want that sense of mystery which is what ambient music creates.

Same here, I guess I'll be back to playing music from usb.

Shahkulu101
06-19-2015, 10:02 PM
I don't think Jesper Kyd is doing the soundtrack as I think Marc said that the composer is actually from London in an interview I read whilst Jesper Kyd is from Denmark. I can't remember what interview this was in but I'll try and find it. I might be wrong but I remember him saying the composer was from London himself.

https://i.imgur.com/AMFC5B2.gif

harsab
06-19-2015, 10:06 PM
What he mentions about MD, oh god I'm so hyped for ACS now.

Assassin_M
06-19-2015, 10:39 PM
I think you guys need to calm down about Modern Day just for now, lets wait and see.

Lonnie_Jackson
06-19-2015, 10:56 PM
I think you guys need to calm down about Modern Day just for now, lets wait and see.

This is a very reasonable suggestion. Can't get too hyped, at the same time however it doesn't sound like Unity all over again.

ajl992015
06-19-2015, 11:12 PM
I like everything that I'm hearing about this game, it is hitting all the right notes except for one thing that is annoying e so much, I DONT WANT TO WEAR THE HAT I WANT TO JUST HAVE THE HOOD! I know I'm in stealth mode because I crouch I don't need the whole change between hat and hood. There better be an alternate outfit of the main outfit that just has the hood, if anyone can confirm this it will really make my day, i know its small but for me its a big deal in the immersion in the world because I feel like I'm actually playing as an assassin if that makes sense.

Altair1789
06-19-2015, 11:16 PM
The soundtracks we've heard so far don't even sound like Jesper Kyd anyway

Farlander1991
06-19-2015, 11:18 PM

Eh, people will complain about MD regardless. :p Which is ironic, considering that the most top-favourite AC2 has pretty much the worst MD ever, that's barely there, where nothing happens (the only thing that happens there is the ending twist that adds a second main plotline thus damning the MD storyline to becoming a mess with two main plotlines for Desmond's Saga), which exists pretty much for the lore only (like Unity), and yet stuff like ACIV MD that's got lots of content, lore, and also actually character development (ACIV develops Desmond's ACIII part better than ACIII) gets criticized...

Shahkulu101
06-19-2015, 11:23 PM
^ I'd say that ACB is the most popular MD as opposed to AC2.

Farlander1991
06-19-2015, 11:24 PM
^ I'd say that ACB is the most popular MD as opposed to AC2.

AC2 is the most popular game though and pretty much nobody criticizes it for MD.

Deezl-V
06-19-2015, 11:42 PM
Good interview, just one thing, when you interview someone, don't cut them off. Let them finish talking. Don't interrupt and don't pull the mic away from them when they are talking so you can say something. You can see Mac get a little frustrated with the interview when you cut him off a couple times.

But other than that, good questions and great job putting him on the spot for certain things like ambient music. Thumbs up.

dxsxhxcx
06-19-2015, 11:49 PM
Eh, people will complain about MD regardless. :p Which is ironic, considering that the most top-favourite AC2 has pretty much the worst MD ever, that's barely there, where nothing happens (the only thing that happens there is the ending twist that adds a second main plotline thus damning the MD storyline to becoming a mess with two main plotlines for Desmond's Saga), which exists pretty much for the lore only (like Unity), and yet stuff like ACIV MD that's got lots of content, lore, and also actually character development (ACIV develops Desmond's ACIII part better than ACIII) gets criticized...

IMO ACB's modern day is worse than AC2's, they could've done more for AC2's MD, I agree, but IMO ACB's MD was a huge missed opportunity, we had the entire Monteriggioni at our disposal and to do what? Watch some skippable cutscenes and be able to free roam the city to collect POINTLESS collectibles, the only thing worth mentioning of ACB's MD was its ending at the Colosseum, that still was better than what AC2 did, but I cannot forgive them for wasting the setting like they did.

the main reason why I complain about AC4's MD style is because I'm incapable of put myself in Mr. Generic Flying Tablet's shoes, thus making the whole thing meaningless to me...

Sorrosyss
06-20-2015, 01:13 AM
Hi Loomer, thanks for the great interview and pushing on the areas where I would have done the same.

Throughout E3 they have been talking alot about the modern day, and in response to the actual question of a protagonist, we will apparently be very happy. I do so hope it is Galina, as I suspect.

Really happy to see a confirmation on how the switching of characters work. Pretty happy with that as it sounds like you can take the character of your choice through all the side missions. Very cool.

The ambient music is always a bone of contention, and I fully agree that Unity sounds dead. To be honest, the response to this did not fill me with much hope on this front. The composer hype was interesting though. I got the impression it may be someone different, but perhaps famous. Zimmer? Who knows. :p

Then the disappointments. I noticed you pushed back on these two, and thank you for doing so. I always enjoyed the hidden blade fighting style, and desperately missed it in Unity. Sad to hear it's still absent. As for the hoods... Meh. I don't see why it's so difficult to just add a hood up/down toggle to the options menu. Then all parties would be happy. As it stands I'm not a fan of the hats, and not a fan of crouching around in order to wear the hood. One day they'll get it right I guess. :p

Namikaze_17
06-20-2015, 03:21 AM
Nice interview from Mac. :)

The ambient thing doesn't bother me much, but I am interested in this composer hype.

Hopefully the composer also captures London with something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK616vvHcNw

Especially 0:45 - 1:05

MD sounds interesting, but I won't hype really.

But aside from that, everything else sounds great.

I-Like-Pie45
06-20-2015, 04:26 AM
hopefully its clint mansell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHCNtaf2ypY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pqxRCUp4r0

Mr_Shade
06-20-2015, 09:54 AM
Great interview as always Loomer ;)

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-20-2015, 03:15 PM
Great job as always Loomer <3

EmptyCrustacean
06-20-2015, 09:50 PM
I like this director. There’s child-like enthusiasm and excitement emanating from him that you never got from the smug Alex Amancio. I like the way Ubisoft are not too proud to admit their influences in latter games – Batman Arkham Asylum and GTA are two games they reference quite a bit and it’s clear Syndicate is going to be Arkham Creed. You don’t see developers often actively admit that they’ve borrowed from other games. I hope the MD is going to be as satisfying as he says. I really hope that they won’t do what they did with AC4 and just make you the avatar.

That said…

I don’t like the idea that you can switch characters through the menu – very immersion breaking. In Arkham City you had to go to a certain area to play as Catwoman and do her missions.

I understand his points about wanting the sound and music from the world itself. And this retort that you won’t have the same source music depending on the borough would be valid… if Brotherhood didn’t use Jesper Kyd’s different ambient music for different areas. You can still have that sense of a city feeling like several different cities in one but they haven’t been able to master that since Brotherhood.

This “the only sound should come from the world itself!” idea works when Jacob or Evie are down on the streets but whilst parkouring on the rooftops? It sounds incredibly empty.

VoXngola
06-20-2015, 10:14 PM
Thanks Loomer once again for your interviews, I really appreciate how you don't hold back and actually push Marc a couple of times. That's great and I think it's the right thing to do, so keep up the good work!

I'm actually satisfied with most answers. He's clearly dodging some questions but he's kinda right, he can't just confirm everything right on the spot. Gamescom is in less than 2 months after all and his answer about the MD parts are interesting to say the least.

I've always liked how the hidden blade, the signature weapon of the Assassins are used strictly for killing the important targets, I think its a nice touch, so I don't really have problems with that. I also don't really care about the hood stuff people have been complaining about but that's just me I guess.

The only thing I'm bummed about is the ambient music. Again. This is the 3rd time already. I don't have any problems if the ambient music stops when Jacob/Evie are near a pub on the streets, that's absolutely fine. But when I'm just walking slowly on the streets or especially when I'm on the rooftops, the game just feels dead without the accompanying music. I can't for the life of me understand why 3 different creative directors decided on taking this approach, especially when music is so important in a game like AC. I mean, the soundtrack in the Ezio games were loved so much that Jesper Kyd got even more famous than he already was because of his work on the Hitman games. Just like loomer said, it's such a simple thing to implement it's just..ugh.

SixKeys
06-20-2015, 11:33 PM
Nice interview, Loomer. :)

About ambient music, it's weird because the game director (Francois Daubet) assured me it would be back like in the early games. He mentioned that the music would change between different districts to kind of telegraph to the player when they entered a different part of the map. I asked if it was similar to Brotherhood's Rome (liberated areas having different music than non-liberated) and he said that was exactly it. He did mention ambient sounds like street players etc. but I specifically asked if there would be ambient music apart from street sounds and he said yes, the only thing was that they were still trying to find the right balance between intrusive and non-intrusive.

Also, regarding modern day.... listen to M. I wouldn't get too hyped just yet.

Shahkulu101
06-21-2015, 12:19 AM
^ Seems like you and M know something we don't regarding modern day... :rolleyes:

loomer979
06-21-2015, 08:27 AM
Nice interview, Loomer. :)

About ambient music, it's weird because the game director (Francois Daubet) assured me it would be back like in the early games. He mentioned that the music would change between different districts to kind of telegraph to the player when they entered a different part of the map. I asked if it was similar to Brotherhood's Rome (liberated areas having different music than non-liberated) and he said that was exactly it. He did mention ambient sounds like street players etc. but I specifically asked if there would be ambient music apart from street sounds and he said yes, the only thing was that they were still trying to find the right balance between intrusive and non-intrusive.

Yes! I saw that in your post (you and M did an amazing job with those write-ups BTW), and I was a little confused. I'm very curious to see what the final product will be like for ambient music (and the mostly lack thereof).

loomer979
06-21-2015, 08:30 AM
Good interview, just one thing, when you interview someone, don't cut them off. Let them finish talking. Don't interrupt and don't pull the mic away from them when they are talking so you can say something. You can see Mac get a little frustrated with the interview when you cut him off a couple times.

Totally fair point, in this case there were some bad moments like that since I was rushing to get through as many questions as possible with the limited time we had (I told MAC beforehand that it would be kind of a rapid-fire type interview), and also a couple situations where I just misread that he was done talking when he wasn't haha. Glad you enjoyed the interview otherwise!

frodrigues55
06-21-2015, 01:57 PM
I logged in (and I hate doing it here for some reason) just to post the video. I hadn't seen it so I thought for some reason you didn't put it here :o

That was really great, as always. Man, I love your channel. I just been to Italy for a vacation so I've seen your series there about 10 times to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

As for the interview, you were pretty bold pressing on ambient music like that, I liked it.

This matter is really confusing right now, is it going to have music or not? I gotta say, I don't understand why they turn this into such a big deal, like, why the hell can't they just add it? It's always been a requested feature since it went absent on ACIII for some reason. Do we need to kidnap someone to make this happen?

I also don't understand why there's so much secrecy regarding the composer. It's always so secretive like it's a big deal. It's not lol. Fans just like to know, but that's it. And it's not just AC though, I lurke on a Tomb Raider forum and every-single-year they do the same mistery on who the composer is.

Finally, the hood/hat. Another missed oportunity lol, as always. I really wouldn't mind the hood being down for open world, but really, the hat just looks ridiculous while parkouring. That is going to annoy the hell out of me. And I don't buy that the reason is just that the hood is a way to tell you you are on stealth. There's a thousand other ways to do it. AC is not the only game with stealth elements around but it's the only one with the hood. Yet all of the other games do a fine job telling you.

And unless the modern day is third person with a proper plot again - which I doubt - that answer was way, way overhyped it. Not very optmistic.

HOWEVER, after all of that was said, I must say that if they mantain the assassination missions like Unity, I will be very, very pleased. That's the most important. They have to release one of those for us to see, reall - because the CGI assassination and the gameplay assassination were linear and over the top, which I really disliked.

I also liked that they are focusing on bugs and parkour, I hope they have time to properly implement it. The animations are looking especially terrible. And I was very satisfied knowing you can change character during open exploration, I wonder how that will reflect into gameplay. I really hope they are different characters and not just some marketing gimmick.