PDA

View Full Version : Trying to set NAT setting to Open, need help!

Agent-White
06-18-2015, 09:54 AM
Been trying to figure out how to set my NAT to open so I can join servers on Assassin's Creed but I keep running into a dead end, Is their someone with comcast Xfinity that knows how to set it up help me out plz?

Anykeyer
06-18-2015, 02:43 PM
You dont actually need NAT to be open. Moderate is more than enough and usually doesnt require specific settings. If you have strict NAT its usually caused by something beyond your direct control. Make sure your ISP provides unique public IP (not shared with other customers) and doesnt block any ports.

Agent-White
06-18-2015, 10:43 PM
You dont actually need NAT to be open. Moderate is more than enough and usually doesnt require specific settings. If you have strict NAT its usually caused by something beyond your direct control. Make sure your ISP provides unique public IP (not shared with other customers) and doesnt block any ports.

But I would like to be able to talk to others and what do you mean by ISP providers unique IP?

UbiSeraphim
06-19-2015, 01:57 AM
I heavily recommend using http://portforward.com/ for people who need to open up their ports, as it has very well-written guides for how to set a static IP address and forward ports. Which specific Assassin's Creed game are you having issues with, and on what console?

Anykeyer
06-19-2015, 09:40 AM
But I would like to be able to talk to others and what do you mean by ISP providers unique IP?

NAT doesnt affect your ability to use in-game voice chat. If you can connect to a lobby you can talk to everyone in it. Keep in mind though.
1. in older games (ACB and ACR) using voice chat can freeze the game
2. everyone can hear you before character selection and after session time expires, but when the game is in progress:
- only your target and pursuers can hear you in solo modes
- only your team mates can hear you in team modes

Some ISPs (usually mobile carriers and other wireless networks) dont assign unique IPs to their customers. Each IP is shared between multiple clients, this makes your NAT strict (because no one can reach you directly when you dont have your own address). Most of those ISPs have additional (paid) option to make your IP "real" or "public" (the terminology they use can vary).
Having unique IP isnt the same as having static IP, It is possible to have unique IP but randomly assigned from a pool of free IPs each time your router establishes internet connection. This is ok and should not affect your NAT.
Just in case: the above is about your public (as seen from the internet) IP. If you manually forward ports in your router you need to have static IP in your local network (which is usually managed by the same router).