PDA

View Full Version : Honor System

IVIaachine
06-16-2015, 08:38 PM
Hey guys and gals! I come to you, from the north! (Canada that is) with my suggestion for the game.

And that suggestion, is an honor system. (duh) Now I'm not sure if they already have a plan for something like this, so assuming they don't, here is my idea:

Being the game is based heavily on combat (from first impressions) I think going along with a ranking system (for your skill) there should also
be a rank for your honor. Essentially your fighting style. Be it Honorable, or Dishonorable.

Let me give you an example:

My friend and I charge into battle. He starts fighting the AI , and I start fighting another player. My friend manages to kill the AI with
ease, but I (being the rookie) fail miserably. Now my friend looks over and sees me about to be finished.

He can:

1. Leave me to my own devices. (Can be Dishonorable +1 or Neutral)
OR
2. Initiate a Duel between my attacker. (Honorable +1 or Neutral)

THEN

My attacker has 2 options:

1. Finish me off and fight my friend. (Dishonorable +1)
OR
2. Leave me in a almost "last stand mode" and accept my friends duel. (Honorable +1)

And depending on what they choose. This would either rank them up in "honorable" or the "dishonorable" attribute.

So that's basically it. Maybe the path you choose to go down unlocks certain finishers, or weapons and armor. I would love to hear
your guys constructive criticisms on this! Do-able? Not Do-able? To many opportunities to Troll, or does this slow down the gameplay too much? Or
is it just plain stupid. Maybe I'm alone in seeing this, who knows.

I definitely think it could use some tweaking.
Cheers!

Oakmantle
06-17-2015, 01:44 AM
I see the appeal in such a Honor System, but I think it may also be hard to realize within the mechanical confines of the game. Since the game is not a turn-based or "dialogue-choice" kind of game, it becomes very hard for the game to percieve and understand what is and is not honourable in the scenario that you describe. Or well, I am not developer, but I would imagine it to be so. It may be possible to base it off of other kinds of behaviour in some way, but it is hard to say; a dev would know better.

It certainly is an appealing idea, but I'm also not sure there is a need to quantify it. Your own code of honour and conduct is something that will come across in the way you play the game and relate to your enemies and friends alike. And being the warrior-fanatic that I am, I would go so far as to suggest that there is no better way to gauge the character of one's opponent than to clash with them blade-to-blade.

May your blade never dull ;)

Marbane
06-17-2015, 02:28 AM
This is an interesting concept to me.

I could be way off the mark from what I saw from the gameplay demo, but the camera seemed to focus in on your adversary in a duel like scenario. Clearly at one point both players did a "come at me bro" taunt and continued to battle to the death. Now the question is, does the game have like a critical condition mechanic in the game? By this I mean, if a player gets their *** handed to them, do they maybe go into a temporary incapacitated state where their offensive options are greatly limited and the other player can simple inputs an execution to finish you off?

If such a mechanic was present, I could see a possibility where another ally player could come into the combat's focus area and do one of those taunts as an attempt to intervene the execution. In such a scenario the winning player could quickly choose to go forward with their execution and face the new player, or taunt back and accept the new challenge. fun rewards could be getting to merc both the original adversary and interloper (hopefully in an even more spectacular method than would be normally possible. Or hey you just saved your buddy's bacon. From here it would just be simple stat tracking of how many times you attempted to intervene and how many challenges you accepted.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the actual mechanics of the game are at this point (or indeed what they will be in the future) and am not sure if any of this would be feasible or not.

Oakmantle
06-17-2015, 02:43 AM
This is an interesting concept to me.

I could be way off the mark from what I saw from the gameplay demo, but the camera seemed to focus in on your adversary in a duel like scenario. Clearly at one point both players did a "come at me bro" taunt and continued to battle to the death. Now the question is, does the game have like a critical condition mechanic in the game? By this I mean, if a player gets their *** handed to them, do they maybe go into a temporary incapacitated state where their offensive options are greatly limited and the other player can simple inputs an execution to finish you off?

If such a mechanic was present, I could see a possibility where another ally player could come into the combat's focus area and do one of those taunts as an attempt to intervene the execution. In such a scenario the winning player could quickly choose to go forward with their execution and face the new player, or taunt back and accept the new challenge. fun rewards could be getting to merc both the original adversary and interloper (hopefully in an even more spectacular method than would be normally possible. Or hey you just saved your buddy's bacon. From here it would just be simple stat tracking of how many times you attempted to intervene and how many challenges you accepted.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the actual mechanics of the game are at this point (or indeed what they will be in the future) and am not sure if any of this would be feasible or not.

You do raise some points there. I may have been caught up on the idea that it may be difficult to track non-definite actions, such as ignoring what other players are up to. But if there's a taunt-system like that in place, then it could probably work well, and without actually interfering with the gameplay as well as there is no need to have big flashy notifications for increase or decrease in "Honor Points". A smooth under-the-hood system would work just fine in that case ;)

IVIaachine
06-24-2015, 05:25 PM
You do raise some points there. I may have been caught up on the idea that it may be difficult to track non-definite actions, such as ignoring what other players are up to. But if there's a taunt-system like that in place, then it could probably work well, and without actually interfering with the gameplay as well as there is no need to have big flashy notifications for increase or decrease in "Honor Points". A smooth under-the-hood system would work just fine in that case ;)

Shoot I almost forgot about this thread!

Great input fellow duelers! Maybe the system I described seemed too quick-timey, which I would (and I'm assuming everyone else would) like to stay away from! I do like this idea of a taunt though. I didn't see anything like that in the demo, so maybe we are on to something?

The main reason I thought about this idea, was to stop any trolls that might try and fight dirty or use cheap tactics to facilitate a win. But I'm sure there will be adequate measures in place to avoid these scenarios.

Any more refinement of this idea is very welcome.

Cheers!

RakeVillain
06-24-2015, 06:24 PM
Don't they say there's no rules in love and war ;) ? Other than that I think it would be kinda unfair because maybe your friend is just concentrated to whatever he's doing and fail to notice you in the moment -- does that mean he's dishonorable? Also about the person that is winning the duel against you, it's kinda two guys robbing a bank and one takes 10 million the other one takes 200 dollars to make himself seem honorable situation, using the situation and the moment doesn't make one dishonorable. Also this would require a special decisions system to be made I suppose, so maybe it would be better for some campaign mission because it could ruin the dynamic multiplayer.

supabeatsbat
06-24-2015, 06:41 PM
https://youtu.be/sp3NKQlJPuo?t=3m15s

Here one of the devs totally wastes the poor knight in absolutely dishonorable fashion :D

TrikRisk
06-25-2015, 10:53 AM
My attacker has 2 options:

1. Finish me off and fight my friend. (Dishonorable +1)
OR
2. Leave me in a almost "last stand mode" and accept my friends duel. (Honorable +1)

Yes it would be a nice and honorable system but im confused. you are in a match, you are at war in the battle field, how would it be dishonorable for the enemy(which has his own team and that team is the one the values should depend) to kill you and your friend? i think it would only honor him by "Killing enemies". The whole point of the match is too killand not spare lives, take advantage of those in need and kill the full hp people.

The "how" of the killing process would be too deep for the honor porpuses bu ti would suggestion for example that if you execute an enemy it will honor you cus you spared his suffering. I think the honor values would differ a lot: we have the opposite values on the sides of the Samurais and the Vikings.

TrikRisk
06-25-2015, 10:55 AM
The Honor should be in one's consciousness and not in the game

VoidWalker-
06-29-2015, 01:37 AM
Awesome idea. The question is what use does it have for having high honor levels? Maybe unlock special banners or armor pieces?