PDA

View Full Version : Shay Cormac

AngelDiMaria08
06-14-2015, 05:12 PM
Do you consider him to be an antagonist or a protagonist?

MasterAssasin84
06-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Rogue IMO is one of the best AC stories have played..

I would consider him a Protagonist in his own right as he favoured the Templars to cleanse his own conscience rather than influence their cause.

After that fateful assignment in Portugal it certainly shows that the Assassins are not completely rightous in their convictions and Shays motivations demonstrated this.

EmptyCrustacean
06-14-2015, 05:50 PM
He's a bad guy who took down other bad guys. The tragedy is that Achilles did eventually see the error of his ways although too late. Shay was rather idiotic for joining the Templars rather than forming a Brotherhood of his own to take down the American Brotherhood. If he had any common sense he would have realised that Achilles was a bad apple in a healthy tree rather than trying to cut down the tree altogether. Achilles even VIOLATED the main codes of the creed, not acted within them.

Hans684
06-14-2015, 06:40 PM
That's like asking if Ezio is a bad guy.

Altair1789
06-15-2015, 01:10 AM
Technically he's a protagonist because he's the protagonist of Rogue, but his story was basically portrayed as "The one time templars were nice"

The_Kiwi_
06-15-2015, 07:35 AM
He's a bad guy who took down other bad guys. The tragedy is that Achilles did eventually see the error of his ways although too late. Shay was rather idiotic for joining the Templars rather than forming a Brotherhood of his own to take down the American Brotherhood. If he had any common sense he would have realised that Achilles was a bad apple in a healthy tree rather than trying to cut down the tree altogether. Achilles even VIOLATED the main codes of the creed, not acted within them.

He joined the Templars because they had resources
He needed those resources to enact revenge on Achilles
Forming his own Brotherhood wouldn't have achieved anything, at least not any time soon

And Shay was a protagonist

There are no good guys or bad guys (unless written poorly *cough* Brotherhood)
So I wouldn't call Shay an antagonist

D.I.D.
06-15-2015, 10:00 AM
A protagonist is the focus of a story, and the vehicle driving it forward. An antagonist is the opposite number to the protagonist, whose efforts threaten the fulfilment of the protagonist's aims.

Hero vs anti-hero is more the axis you're going for here. I don't think Shay is really either. He's just a bonehead. You can't really cheer for him, because everything he did was triggered by a case of staggering stupidity, and you can't really hate him because his motives weren't evil. He's a bit of a tit.

Bipolar Matt
06-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Protagonist. For sure.