PDA

View Full Version : optimal ordanence convergence set up ?

Aston-V8
01-17-2004, 08:01 AM
looking for thread or any help with convergence settings for wing mounted mg's and cannon namely hurricane field mod', mk2c, p51 and p40 , any advise would be gratefull .

Thanks .

Aston .

Aston-V8
01-17-2004, 08:01 AM
looking for thread or any help with convergence settings for wing mounted mg's and cannon namely hurricane field mod', mk2c, p51 and p40 , any advise would be gratefull .

Thanks .

Aston .

Cajun76
01-17-2004, 08:24 AM
There is no 'set' answer. It comes down to your flying ability, and tactics. Also, what you plan on shooting. Common settings are anywhere between 100-150m all the way up to 1000m. Typical, I would say is around 300, plus or minus a hundred. For fighter to fighter engagements, closer is generally better, as a good, accurate burst is acheiveable at close range. For bomber intercept, you might be firing from farther away, so less convergence might be prefered. Whatever you choose, especially for the P-40, P-51, and P-47 (which all have 6-8 .50cals) put the convergaence at the distance you are most likely to be firing at. If done right, the results are devastating.

Be aware, the P-40 and P-51 have all guns (6) on the machine gun convergence and trigger. The P-47 has 8 guns. You must use both cannon and mg buttons to fire both, unless you map cannon and mg to the same button. The 4 inboard are on the cannon button, and the 4 outboards are on the mg trigger. I believe I have my cannons at 400, and my mg's at 350, for my P-47.

Have fun and expiremant, see what works for you. I hope this helps, good luck and

Good hunting,
Cajun76

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

Meanwhile, in the 20th century:

BOOM! Yeah, Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my T-Bolt!! It's has 8 .50cals and 2000lbs+ worth of bombs and rockets. Republic's top of the line. You can find this in the Kick A$$ department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Farmingdale, Long Island and Evansville, Indiana. Retails for about $82,997.95. It's got a turbo-supercharger, all metal control surfaces with blunt nosed ailerons, and a hair trigger. That's right, shop smart, shop Republic. YOU GOT THAT!? Now I swear, the next one of you primates, E-ven TOUCHES me..... - Anonymous http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

VW-IceFire
01-17-2004, 08:25 AM
I use 250 meters all around on all of my aircraft. That seems optimal to my aim and flying tactics...however that may not be optimal for someone else. You do need to experiment and find what sits right with you...when you find it you'll just forget about it.

- IceFire
http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/spit-sig.jpg

Aston-V8
01-17-2004, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I use 250 meters all around on all of my aircraft. That seems optimal to my aim and flying tactics...however that may not be optimal for someone else. You do need to experiment and find what sits right with you...when you find it you'll just forget about it.

Thank you both for the helpfull info ,

Yes i have tried experimenting with convergences with nose mounted mg's/cannon it seems a little easier to obtain optimal range but i'm sure you would both agree that with wing mounted ordenence it dosen't seem to make much difference what set' you have, take the mk11'c hurricane for example it has four wing cannon and no mater what you set the convergence each of the rounds cross each others path way too early dispersing to starboard and port of any given target , idealy if one could set each round to converge at the same time and direction we should be able to narrow the trajectory of each round into an area of around six inches hitting the target within a six inch area in affect destroying that area of the target with no more than a 3-4 second burst .

Any other thoughts or comments are more than welcome .

Aston .

mllaneza
01-17-2004, 01:00 PM
Nose mounted and wing mounted guns work differently for convergence. Nose gun convergence actually sets the angle to lob the shell so that at convergence range, in level flight, the shell crosses the sightline. In a P-39 this can be at an extreme angle and so for anti-fighter work you want very short convergence (150m is what I use) to avoid lobbing the slow shell over a target right in front of you. This applies to the Mk108 as well. Higher velocity cannons, such as most 20mm, have much less dropoff and can profitably be set to a higher convergence against fighters.

Your other chocie, especially for using cannon at longer ranges (250m+) is to learn the flight path of your favorite cannon at your preferred range. Lobbing shells onto 'friendly' bombers in the QMB is recommended for this.

Veteran - Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force. 1993-1951.

BfHeFwMe
01-17-2004, 08:51 PM
You really need to set to personal requirements. Not everyone fires at the same sight picture, distance, or deflections. Everyone has their own method so there's nothing to set in stone.

You can however get your setup fairly accurate to your parameters. Use the fighter you favor most, set up a QMB with a freindly fighter of your most difficult target. Get in behind him and squeeze when you have the appearance where you'd normally blast him. Freeze the game, go externals and zoom down the tracers and examine them, where they are falling. Do several bursts to be sure, all at the distance you prefer to engage.

Can work better in twilight to see the tracers, stop examine the stream, back in pit and examine the sight picture in full zoom, than zoom out. If your tracers are low, you need to adjust out, if high pull it in a bit. If your already in and still high, may be you need to adjust your mental sight picture down a bit instead of guns.

Do machine guns or one bank at a time, than cannons or the second bank. In your config.ini file there's a line you can adjust to take you out with zoom further on externals.

MaxLen=5000.0

That can give you a real good view of the lead arc headed at your target from out front of the target itself, the arc will show really well. That will give you a real good placement for guns that are fairly centered.

When it comes to wing guns that are spread, do the same with the freeze and zoom, but also stick an external view from target and zoom out above it quite far. That will allow you to see if the wing mounted tracers are all meeting up at the target zone as they should. You want maximun lead where that target sets.

Be sure to run with the arcademode=1 to see and compare if your getting better results after an adjustment in actual combat. I'd wager you will.

Than record your settings, and do your next favorite. You can learn a whole lot just watching your tracks in slow motion from your targets perspective padlocked back to your plane in pursuit. You'll quickly see where you over deflect or under deflect. Again, freeze at that moment, go back into the cockpit and examine the sight picture. Make a mental note of the size of target as it appears in sight, and how much you need to correct the deflection next time you meet. Won't be long and you'll be a natural sharpshooter because you know what the sweetspots look like. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif