PDA

View Full Version : How do you identify strategic targets during Campaign Briefing???

Charlie901
06-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Like when you have to bomb a supply depot and it shows the mission map during the start of a Campaign Mission.

Do you "cheat" like I do and hit Ctrl F2 once the mission starts to get a close look at your target or do you wait to see where your A.I wingmen's bombs land?

The reason I ask is my flights' been tasked with destroying an enemy supply depot in a very urban/industrial area and I would like to see some intel (i.e. ariel photo's) of the area to make sure I hit the right building on the first pass, in case of heavy AAA.

So is there some way to get some type of idea of what the target looks like before actually flying the mission? Thanks

Charlie901
06-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Like when you have to bomb a supply depot and it shows the mission map during the start of a Campaign Mission.

Do you "cheat" like I do and hit Ctrl F2 once the mission starts to get a close look at your target or do you wait to see where your A.I wingmen's bombs land?

The reason I ask is my flights' been tasked with destroying an enemy supply depot in a very urban/industrial area and I would like to see some intel (i.e. ariel photo's) of the area to make sure I hit the right building on the first pass, in case of heavy AAA.

So is there some way to get some type of idea of what the target looks like before actually flying the mission? Thanks

Zayets
06-02-2004, 12:49 AM
Lemme tell you one thing. I spend my time mostly bombing instead of fighting.Is almost impossible to even guess where the target is if you take off without a minimal recon. When I do carpet bombing the only way to reach precise destination,I mean 100% precise is to let your autopilot handle navigation and you should man the bomber position.
I did it many times without recon and only based on the instruments but you are something like 80-90% precise. And you have to be fast. Here doesn't count light bombers since you can do multiple passes over the target.
Therefore , recon is vital! One solution is to save a movie track where you basicaly "film" the target surroundings. Approach from N, from S etc. Maybe landmarks on your way to the target. I have done that as well , and results were better with 5% , on manual flying/bombing. The ultimate test for your bombing skills are night bombing. Is not that hard if you use what they used to call path markers . Brits used Mosquitos , Germans used Bf110 or even Stukas for this job. They mark the way to the target illuminate it and this way is easier for bombers to find their way in the night.
Bottom line , it can be done 100% manualy , without pressing Ctr-F2. In fact even offline when I fly bombers I do it without externals. I love it this way. Just practice and don't forget, read the maps , instructions and maybe the reckon movie. Is pretty sad we can't introduce an image in the briefing , but maybe in future this will be possible.

Zayets out
----|------------|-----------|----
| --/ - \-- |
-|---------| o |--------|-
/\ _ /\
[]/ \[]

Atomic_Marten
06-02-2004, 01:13 AM
Yes... navigation is the big problem in this game. Not only for bombers, but for fighters as well. Of course on full real. But one thing is stand out---why (I mean on FR) we do not have route drawing on map in-game, like we have on briefing? This will help a lot too.

Zayets
06-02-2004, 01:26 AM
No.This will definitely kill the immersion. Besides , is extremely easy to be pretty accurate in finding waypoints in a german bomber using only the instruments. You have a radio compass and a flightpath deviation course indicator , this is a real bonus and they work indeed! Problem is , and will always be approach to the target. Every second or degree deviation in your navigation counts here. THis is because you want to be leveled when you do your bomb run and if you use level stabilizer for this reason to early you have to play with throttle , hence bombsight adjustments at a fast pace. Also , you may find yourself on a totally different approach angle and you will have to compensate with the rudder.Here come in action a joystick with a lot of trims and wheels and buttons. For bombings they are a must.Much more difficult is to bomb in the TB3 if you play full real. I find the bombardier view not good enough and you can't use the sight as you do with the He111 to even navigate your way. The advantage here is the low speed of TB3 and you will have a lot of time for adjustments. However , bombing altitude is low in the TB3 , you will be exposed to AAA fire pretty easy. In He , my usual bombing alt is minimum 3000m , but I preffer always close to 5000m.

Zayets out
----|------------|-----------|----
| --/ - \-- |
-|---------| o |--------|-
/\ _ /\
[]/ \[]

Atomic_Marten
06-02-2004, 05:47 AM
I presume that pilots in WW2 have the maps with drawn routes on them(or am I wrong?). They fly always on FR http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. So if that's true why we have no drawed routes on maps?

(Although I admit I may be wrong, 'cause I don't know for sure that they have maps with outlined routes on 'em). Info about that will be welcomed by me, 'cause this issue bothers me for quite some time.

Zayets
06-02-2004, 06:41 AM
Because it won't serve you too much. Beter print the map and draw the line for yourself.Is what I do.There's one option in difficulty which will let you have the route legs on the minimap. Not the icon of your plane , like GPS. I don't know if by FR they mean remove the minimap path also , but probably yes. Use these to calculate your position: 1)time-indeed time on the clock 2) average speed 3) heading 4) landmarks - if you can identify one.
Paying constant attention to the radiocompass and route deviation is more than enough. They will send you always to the correct waypoint. Don't bother to spot enemy fighters because if you are alone is pretty much little you can do. The gunners will warn you if there is an enemy plane around. Then you can decide if you want to man the guns or flying the plane. If I'm online I preffer to man the guns and level the plane for straight flight.
Well , at least this is what I do , some other probably do things other way.

Zayets out

Sig:I'm working on it.Just imagine a nice image here.

tfu_iain1
06-02-2004, 08:53 AM
what my brother does (he's into full real missions, specially bombing) was print the maps out (he got a print shop to do it for him so the colour is lovely, and its a single sheet of paper) then he had them laminated. didnt cost that much. now he can draw on his maps with chinagraph pencils (knicked from dads flight case, hey he doesnt use it anymore) which wipe off real easy. in fact i think thats what real pilots use http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. works nicely. doesnt helps that russia lacks on landmarks tho. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif also maps dont have elevations on them.

Udidtoo
06-02-2004, 09:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tfu_iain1:
what my brother does (he's into full real missions, specially bombing) was print the maps out (he got a print shop to do it for him so the colour is lovely, and its a single sheet of paper) then he had them laminated. didnt cost that much. now he can draw on his maps with chinagraph pencils (knicked from dads flight case, hey he doesnt use it anymore) which wipe off real easy. in fact i think thats what real pilots use http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. works nicely. doesnt helps that russia lacks on landmarks tho. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif also maps dont have elevations on them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a very cool idea for when I'm in the mood to play full frustration. Grease pencils and lamanated maps + a stopwatch and compass.

I could quite easily fly an hour or more and see neither enemy planes or ground objectives. Often my mission objective become find out where the little black and red puffs are coming from, expend ordanance as necessary to make puffs go away.

I always have just enough fuel to arrive at the scene of my crash.

Atomic_Marten
06-02-2004, 09:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zayets:
Because it won't serve you too much. Beter print the map and draw the line for yourself.Is what I do.There's one option in difficulty which will let you have the route legs on the minimap. Not the icon of your plane , like GPS. I don't know if by FR they mean remove the minimap path also , but probably yes. Use these to calculate your position: 1)time-indeed time on the clock 2) average speed 3) heading 4) landmarks - if you can identify one.
Paying constant attention to the radiocompass and route deviation is more than enough. They will send you always to the correct waypoint. Don't bother to spot enemy fighters because if you are alone is pretty much little you can do. The gunners will warn you if there is an enemy plane around. Then you can decide if you want to man the guns or flying the plane. If I'm online I preffer to man the guns and level the plane for straight flight.
Well , at least this is what I do , some other probably do things other way.

Zayets out

Sig:I'm working on it.Just imagine a nice image here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right. It wont help much. About that helpless tip when u are alone, I absolutely agree. I play this game for quite some time, and when u play offline campaign u often(about 90% of the time) must rely on your squadronmates to spot the enemy. On FR campaign drawed route on map will help u only in the case of constant airspeed, constant heading and landmark spotting. It's pretty difficult, but also very tempting. And by now I know very well about landmarks of Gulf Of Finland map.(at least northern part http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif),