PDA

View Full Version : Why do people not like Arno?

blazerpika
05-27-2015, 11:38 PM
basically why do people think he is a bland character?

blazerpika
05-28-2015, 12:22 AM
would love if i could get some valid points from forum members

VestigialLlama4
05-28-2015, 04:40 AM
I think with Arno, a lot depends on if UNITY is their first game or not. Its not made, I think, for the ones who didn't buy AC2 and Brotherhood-Revelations on the old consoles.

For people who have played those games, the minute they see Arno, they see Ezio Clone.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/c09bf80f723e171f844e6a35bddb0b62/tumblr_njy158Vfgp1r6tmsdo1_500.png

His face is essentially Ezio in Next-Gen. Black Hair, ponytail and the first sequence has him wearing the black-vest and white-shirt combo of AC2-Sequence 1. He doesn't have a unique look to him, whereas Altair, Ezio, Connor, Edward all had unique features and neither of them were explicitly modelled on Ezio as a type. So already, at first sight people are comparing him to Ezio. Then there are odd tics like him comparing Assassins to cults and being an alcoholic (along with drunk sequences) and his love for a red-headed woman, and they think Edward Kenway since that was part of his story.

So the most notable aspects of Arno are derived from Ezio and Edward two highly popular characters from earlier games. As such for people who have played the games, Arno has nothing new to offer and his personality seems to come from market-testing and reactions to popular characters earlier rather than his own two legs. So for some people, this alone discredits him completely and makes him and his game deserving to be consigned to the scrap-heap of oblivion. Then there's the external decisions, his pompous BBC voice, the bad story and his inconsistency and lack of interest in anything other than Elise or killing a certain character, nothing connecting him to the larger historical setting. Arno is basically a mindless character, he's not like Altair who has a distinct personality and who is always thinking all the time, nor is he like Ezio, Connor or Edward either. He's essentialy a zombie who kills.

I-Like-Pie45
05-28-2015, 05:14 AM
there is only one good Austrian with Arno in his name, and this one isn't it

Hans684
05-28-2015, 05:30 AM
He's might be a better Ezio(AC2/ACB) because he has flaws but I don't like fillers so I don't care about Arno. We didn't need to relive his memories, Unity makes Liberation(or even Bloodlines or Chronicles China or Memories or even Black Flags companion app) a relevant game. It simply has no story reason to exist, so they wasted our time, a setting and the French Revolution. They waste time on Time Anomlies(even with Paris in different eras) instead of using that on a mini open word in MD with a protagonist and missions. They make countless side missions that's basically the same and gives us "Sequences" with 1-3 missions and no MD. Another unambiguous cartoon story that's as much comedy as the rest(or the new trendy word; fan-fiction).

The_Kiwi_
05-28-2015, 06:03 AM
He is a cliché and bland character, because he is literally just a rehash of something that Ubisoft thought the community would like
Godzio is treated like a character that all characters should strive to be, so Ubisoft just keep trying to remake him in order to sell more games
That's why I hate Arno, at least
That and the fact that he is extremely obstinate and childish
The entire game is a selfish crusade trying to win back his childish crush on someone who didn't even seem to care for him

I'd rather play as Leon than Arno again

Megas_Doux
05-28-2015, 07:17 PM
1 Unity´s story is plain weak.
2 He doesn't have a super cliche french accent.

ze_topazio
05-28-2015, 07:30 PM
there is only one good Austrian with Arno in his name, and this one isn't it

What about Seabook Arno?

Sorrosyss
05-28-2015, 08:06 PM
As others have said, Ezio clone. Even down to his first few missions, which near mirrors the events at the start of AC2. He seemed nice enough, but I just couldn't see past the similarities whilst playing.

VestigialLlama4
05-28-2015, 08:18 PM
2 He doesn't have a super cliche french accent.

He instead has a super-cliche posh-BBC accent that is a million times worse.

I-Like-Pie45
05-28-2015, 08:52 PM
What about Seabook Arno?

Seabook Arno is just another wannabe Amuro Ray/Kamille Bidan

blazerpika
05-28-2015, 08:58 PM
all valid points and i do agree that his motivations for becoming an assassin were stupid.
Thankfully Jacob is actually an assassin into the order

D.I.D.
05-29-2015, 11:19 AM
I think Arno was easy to like from the start because the technology for representing micro-expressions in Unity is one of the most significant leaps forward in the game. His character seemed to confuse a lot of people from that point on, and I understand why. There are so many ways to link Arno's story to Ezio's that it could almost be distracting for some people as they attempt to mentally log all of the similarities and the more they noted, the more suspicious some people became.

I think there was have been a vicious circle here surrounding resources and character development. If, as you would have to assume from the appearances, the cut-scenes were more expensive to produce this time than ever, and if the in-engine work required more system resources, then this would have severely limited how many scenes you could include in the game. I think perhaps it was hoped that if the bricks of Arno and Élise's characters were to be set a little loosely, it would be okay because the emotional pull of their love story would provide the mortar. I won't torture that wall analogy any further; suffice it to say that you know what happens to a wall with weak mortar.

I quite liked the fact the Arno is a disappointing assassin. Élise is the capable, focussed half of the pair, and Arno is the unreliable one who breaks his promise to Élise for heroic reasons (ostensibly at least, although you don't have to scratch very far to see how the goodness of these actions is rather impure). I don't think they really drove this point home, however. There was so much more to say about this in order to make a point about the problems of an assassin who tries to live as though he is an ordinary person. It would have been great to use a character like Arno as the set up for the next game, having the most hard-nosed, by-the-book assassin as his polar opposite (which, as we now know, is not the case and we have a suave, brash joker again). There could have been exploration of the implicit selfishness of Arno's decisions to 'protect' a woman who has already sworn to die to complete her mission. Arno disrespected her choice in an attempt to preserve a future of happiness for himself, and his grief was rather one-dimensional for not acknowledging this.

ShadoeKat
05-29-2015, 10:18 PM
I liked Arno, and I also like Ezio. They are the same in many respects but I think that is a flaw of the writers and the visual designers. I don't really care if he kinda looked like Ezio my only issue was that there was, could have been more to his story that would have made his character so much better. As someone said earlier, it was interesting to see Arno as the disappointing assassin... it would have been nice to see that more in the story, but that was lacking. The relationship between him and Elise was good and would have totally welcomes another adventure with the two of them in some way. We got to see Ezio's life from beginning to end... now we just get quick glimpses with basically one-off games that seemed to get weaved together in some fashion that seems like a big ball of chaos.

I-Like-Pie45
05-30-2015, 01:12 AM
If you connect the dots, you'll see that Arno helped the rise of Napoleon to power. Now after Napoleon has his fun, what happens? The consolidation of European empires on the power scale, leading to treaties that will cause World War I. Butthurt French afterwards use the Treaty of Versailles to mistreat the Germans, causing great resentment and misery that allows Hitler to take power and cause World War II, plus start the Holocaust along the way. World War II brings America out of isolationist mode and into imperialist capitalist dog mode post-war which brings America into conflict with the Soviets, causing the Cold War. At the end, American ego has been boosted ultra-high while the Soviet Union has been dissolved into corrupt democratic states allowing Putin to one day take power while America's global watch dog rub the Middle Eastern nations the wrong way.

As you can see, all of the 20th and 21st century's greatest tragedies can be traced back to Arno, giving more reasons why he is the worst Assassin in the franchise.

Altair1789
05-30-2015, 02:00 AM
Thankfully Jacob is actually an assassin into the order

Not exactly "confirmed". Yea he's said to be an assassin from birth, but Edward was supposed to be "A pirate trained by assassins". We don't exactly know how this'll play out. After all of Unity's marketing, who would've thought Arno would turn out like this? Hard to tell about the protagonist being a "true assassin" until the game is out

ze_topazio
05-30-2015, 02:06 AM
If you connect the dots, you'll see that Arno helped the rise of Napoleon to power. Now after Napoleon has his fun, what happens? The consolidation of European empires on the power scale, leading to treaties that will cause World War I. Butthurt French afterwards use the Treaty of Versailles to mistreat the Germans, causing great resentment and misery that allows Hitler to take power and cause World War II, plus start the Holocaust along the way. World War II brings America out of isolationist mode and into imperialist capitalist dog mode post-war which brings America into conflict with the Soviets, causing the Cold War. At the end, American ego has been boosted ultra-high while the Soviet Union has been dissolved into corrupt democratic states allowing Putin to one day take power while America's global watch dog rub the Middle Eastern nations the wrong way.

As you can see, all of the 20th and 21st century's greatest tragedies can be traced back to Arno, giving more reasons why he is the worst Assassin in the franchise.

As usual, flawless theory Pie, what a scum that Arno!

On a more personal note, most of Portugal modern problems can be traced back to Napoleon's invasion, what a scum that Arno!

On a even more personal note, it's because of the miserable state Portugal has been for the past 200 years since Napoleon's invasion that I'm just a poor nobody living in the worst part of the European Union, what a scum that Arno!

Moral of the story:

ARNO RUINED MY LIFE, THANKS OBAMA!

Namikaze_17
05-30-2015, 02:50 AM
Not exactly "confirmed". Yea he's said to be an assassin from birth, but Edward was supposed to be "A pirate trained by assassins". We don't exactly know how this'll play out. After all of Unity's marketing, who would've thought Arno would turn out like this? Hard to tell about the protagonist being a "true assassin" until the game is out

You're too cynical for your own good, friend.

VoXngola
05-30-2015, 09:35 PM
You're too cynical for your own good, friend.
He's got a point though.

EmptyCrustacean
05-31-2015, 11:18 AM

Agree. One of the most disappointing things about Unity's deceptive marketing was how they pitched their story. At first it seemed they were pushing the idea of an Assassin/Templar romance very hard but then at a certain point it became apparent Unity were deliberately avoiding talking about the story or Arno's character so my Spidey senses started to tingle.

I thought we were going to get a love story about an Assassin boy and a Templar girl trying to make their love survive their philosophical differences. Ubisoft said that ultimately it would come down between Arno choosing between love and duty. That was never a struggle for him because his entire motivation was born out of love and had nothing to do with duty whatsoever. He never respected the creed and only joined because they had resources and contacts. His entire motivation was because he felt he had hurt Elise by being careless and was doing everything he could to make up for it. He chose Elise and his faux father - two people that never cared about him over the Brotherhood and lost both anyway. If Arno's faux father had been killed by an Assassin would he would have never joined the Brotherhood. Let that sink in.

And how was Elise even a Templar? Not once did I hear her express any passionate world views. Granted, she was so consumed with revenge to carry out any duties as a Templar but the idea of their opposing viewpoints making her relationship with Arno more strained is far more interesting than "one loves the other more!"

Defalt221
05-31-2015, 11:55 AM
would love if i could get some valid points from forum members

Valid points:
1) He's trying to be very Ezio-ish. Everything from sarcastic remarks, mischief + theft to EVEN THE PONY TAIL hair. He even gives the Ezio stare.
2)He goes on mischief until experiencing someone's tragedic death and then goes full responsible-kid + wisdom- with a sprinkle of arrogance over it.
3)Ubisoft trying to pull off an Ezio clone got many gamers hating him. Then seeing that Arno really was an Ezio clone, they hated him even more.
4)He's unoriginal. A completely original character is something we haven't got since Connor.
5)MOST IMPORTANT: He gets 0% character development throughout the story. Every other character got more interaction+screentime than this guy. Even Adewale had 3 times more depth and development in Freedom Cry (A 2 hour campaign) than what a 15 hour Arno story mode had. He's just: "My step dad's gone. So I must redeem myself by undoing what he struggled for. And Elise's survival is top priority. The creed is my means to an end (similar to Edward, Ezio and Connor initially)"
6)Trauma driving protagonist to join the assassin cliche recontinued. Morale of the story: Trauma (more specifically family death) and ONLY TRAUMA can make you wiser. (His step dad died, he got more responsible and thoughtful. His GF died, and only then he understood the creed.). Nothing else can give you wisdom. Not those years of studying and learning from elders and teachers, not from all those years of experiences and watching other's sufferings. Without trauma, you can never be a wise person.
Add all the bugs and glitches + terrible storytelling + short campaign and so many removed mechanics, the gamers' psychology was pushed to it's limits and they got frustrated on everything. Even the most minor issues.

Zrvan
05-31-2015, 07:35 PM
Speaking for myself, I feel that Arno lacks a significant amount of agency. He possesses a significant amount of interesting backstory (albeit, almost a direct carbon copy of Ezio's backstory), but the developments that occur in the game always seem to happen to him, not because of him, his actions, or his choices. But realistically, I think he has the disadvantage of being the protagonist of ACU, which is widely regarded as the new worst game in the series, dethroning previous contenders AC3 and ACL.

EmptyCrustacean
05-31-2015, 08:11 PM
Speaking for myself, I feel that Arno lacks a significant amount of agency. He possesses a significant amount of interesting backstory (albeit, almost a direct carbon copy of Ezio's backstory), but the developments that occur in the game always seem to happen to him, not because of him, his actions, or his choices. But realistically, I think he has the disadvantage of being the protagonist of ACU, which is widely regarded as the new worst game in the series, dethroning previous contenders AC3 and ACL.

I don't think Unity has dethroned AC3. I did a poll a while back and AC3 was still the more hated. Opinions might be different now with the benefit of time but I doubt it. Tempted to do an updated poll but worried it's going to descend into two opposing fractions screaming at one another.

Hans684
05-31-2015, 08:15 PM
I don't think Unity has dethroned AC3. I did a poll a while back and AC3 was still the more hated. Opinions might be different now with the benefit of time but I doubt it. Tempted to do an updated poll but worried it's going to descend into two opposing fractions screaming at one another.

People who play for gameplay love Unity and people who play for the story(MD, historical and First Civ.) love AC3. It's bound to be a battle.

VoXngola
05-31-2015, 08:34 PM
People who play for gameplay love Unity and people who play for the story(MD, historical and First Civ.) love AC3. It's bound to be a battle.

I play for the story and absolutely loathe AC3 and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. I hate AC3 because I play for the story.
But people are different I guess. I agree with Unity, however.

avk111
05-31-2015, 08:37 PM
I like Arno in the beginning , however what I didn't like about him eventually is that he doesn't rise up to be a master assassin, that's what made Ezio seem so "cool" the rise from novice to master assassin in one game, the same maybe said about Connor but that's a but of a controversy since he was the only assassin left. The developers should have made the plot so that Arno gross up to be wiser, stronger , and more daunting as he rises through the assassin ranks (that's what the developers told us was going to happen prelaunch the game) but it never seemed so, he left the brotherhood killed the main villain and then it wasn't clear how he joined back. That's just bad story telling on Ubi

Hans684
06-01-2015, 04:50 AM
I play for the story and absolutely loathe AC3 and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. I hate AC3 because I play for the story.

Yet it's ten times better than anything you can pull out of Unity. AC3 might have been a disepointment to many but it stayed true to the lore and the story. What we didn't was't a waste of time and reliving Connor's life actually acomplished something unlike Unity. No reason to relive Arno's life and a complete waste of time.

Namikaze_17
06-01-2015, 04:57 AM

You dislike AC3 because... you play for the story?

Not much explanation there.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

You're not the only one; No need to use others to make it more evident.

I like Arno in the beginning , however what I didn't like about him eventually is that he doesn't rise up to be a master assassin

He became a Master Assassin in the end.

that's what made Ezio seem so "cool" the rise from novice to master assassin in one game

Because growing a beard and getting new duds = Master Assassin :rolleyes:

so, he left the brotherhood killed the main villain and then it wasn't clear how he joined back. That's just bad story telling on Ubi

Dead Kings shows him rejoining the Assassins; You fill in what happened in-between.

The_Kiwi_
06-01-2015, 05:32 AM
We shouldn't have to fill in the gaps
Arno left the assassins, then joined up again some time later
Dead Kings is set between the ending (when he wasn't an assassin) and the epilogue (where he was grand master), but the only relevant information given about him rejoining is when he sends the package to the Cairo assassins
Which isn't even an explanation for him rejoining, it just shows that he is friendly with them

Namikaze_17
06-01-2015, 05:51 AM
We shouldn't have to fill in the gaps
Arno left the assassins, then joined up again some time later
Dead Kings is set between the ending (when he wasn't an assassin) and the epilogue (where he was grand master), but the only relevant information given about him rejoining is when he sends the package to the Cairo assassins
Which isn't even an explanation for him rejoining, it just shows that he is friendly with them

It isn't an explanation, you're right; I just thought it indicated that he at the very least was considering to rejoin.

But seriously, he becomes Master Assassin and is shown helping them; it's obvious he goes back eventually so why a scene for it?

And with the Council, it would be a boring one at that.

Defalt221
06-02-2015, 02:22 PM
It isn't an explanation, you're right; I just thought it indicated that he at the very least was considering to rejoin.

But seriously, he becomes Master Assassin and is shown helping them; it's obvious he goes back eventually so why a scene for it?

And with the Council, it would be a boring one at that.

The french assassin council was the most boring council ever in an AC game.