PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted for CM 6000!

JonDracup
06-21-2004, 04:43 AM
Hello Folks,

Okay, I would like some help please with Chessmaster 6000. I appreciate the fact that this is now a really old, nigh-redundant version, but I shall explain why.

To cut a long story short, I have a Pentium 3 laptop, that will play CM 9000. However, I can't load the game onto it, because I only have a CD-Rewriter drive, and the security thinks I am trying to copy the game, which is untrue, when I try installing from Disc 1.

I contacted UbiSoft UK for help, and was simply told that CM9000 won't run on a laptop. (It will, but it won't load from a CD-Rewriting drive.)

Anyway, I found a re-release of CM 6000 in my local WHSmiths today for a bargain of 1-99. Bought it, and it works fine. Just one thing though: where can I download an updated database, and any extra boards/pieces chess sets, to install into it?

Failing that, is there anyway that I can get around the security protection issue, so that I can install CM 9000 onto my laptop?

Thanks, in advance.

Pooch
(England)

JonDracup
06-21-2004, 04:43 AM
Hello Folks,

Okay, I would like some help please with Chessmaster 6000. I appreciate the fact that this is now a really old, nigh-redundant version, but I shall explain why.

To cut a long story short, I have a Pentium 3 laptop, that will play CM 9000. However, I can't load the game onto it, because I only have a CD-Rewriter drive, and the security thinks I am trying to copy the game, which is untrue, when I try installing from Disc 1.

I contacted UbiSoft UK for help, and was simply told that CM9000 won't run on a laptop. (It will, but it won't load from a CD-Rewriting drive.)

Anyway, I found a re-release of CM 6000 in my local WHSmiths today for a bargain of 1-99. Bought it, and it works fine. Just one thing though: where can I download an updated database, and any extra boards/pieces chess sets, to install into it?

Failing that, is there anyway that I can get around the security protection issue, so that I can install CM 9000 onto my laptop?

Thanks, in advance.

Pooch
(England)

JVMerlino
06-21-2004, 11:21 AM
Yes, I would say that it is silly to say that CM9000 won't run on a laptop. However, I would say that CM9000 can kill a laptop's battery pretty quickly, so I wouldn't play the game on battery power.

CM9000 uses Macrovision's SafeDisc for copy protection. Since Ubi Soft's Tech Support was unable to help you, you might contact Macrovision, as they might have a workaround for you.

As for CM6000, sorry, but there are no updates to the database or the boards/pieces.

But don't forget to get the v1.0.3 patch for CM6000. You can find all of the older patches (back to CM5000) archived at:

http://www.chessmasternetwork.com/downloads.html

jm

JonDracup
06-23-2004, 03:22 AM
Hi JV,

Thanks for the advice r.e. the Macrovision security.

I've left CM 6000 on my laptop, and am thinking about possibly upgrading to CM 10000, but ONLY if I can be assured it will run okay on a laptop.

As for the battery issue, I tend to use my laptop only at home, so it's not anything I need to worry about too much.

Cheers.

Jon Dracup
(aka Pooch)