PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

AngelDiMaria08
05-26-2015, 03:50 PM
Why is this game and Edward Kenway so popular, I consider it the least game of the 8 and Edward is the worst assassin of the 6 incuding Shay

VestigialLlama4
05-26-2015, 05:12 PM
Why is this game and Edward Kenway so popular, I consider it the least game of the 8 and Edward is the worst assassin of the 6 incuding Shay

Well if you think Shay is your idea of a good character...

anyway, Black Flag is a competently made, highly entertaining product. It has a light-hearted tone but a mature story about family, greed, friendships and responsibilities. The game is essentially written like an ensemble TV show, so Edward is the main character but most of the game is him interacting one on one with many different characters, all of them memorable and well-written, its also a game that deliberately makes fun of the pirate genre by showing a more down-to-earth look at how the Pirate Era was and its way more accurate than Pirates of the Caribbean or other junk on TV.

Gameplay, it takes the naval component from AC3 and gives you a one-of-a-kind sandbox with a bunch of inter-related activities and integrated side-missions, you have islands, shipwrecks, harpooning, forts and treasures. Also you have sea shanties.

ROGUE did not add anything special, it just cannibalized all of AC3's and Black Flag's assets and is a nice fanfiction but nothing more.

D.I.D.
05-26-2015, 05:24 PM
It's the best all-rounder. It does have some problems, but by and large it got everything right. The layout of mission areas was better than ever, there was much better "gear-shifting" between gameplay modes than ever before (with fort takeovers being a particularly good example of this), and the ship warfare provided a core gameplay mode which combined excitement and a certain amount of skill and thought.

The graphics were gorgeous, especially on a good PC, which gave your brain a constant drip of cosmetic sugar. The massive tonal shifts between different weather conditions, the way the sea could turn from a dark and seething mass into a jewel-like turquoise, the feeling of volume in the smoke: window-dressing it may be, but this is entertainment and that was surely entertaining. On the more honest side of things, the game had a range of activities that gave me a feeling I'd not had since Brotherhood - a sense of being spoiled for choice in what to do next, and that illusion of freedom that results from it. The maps were great because s decent number of them made you think creatively about what the lines represented. Was it this building, or that one? Perhaps this arrangement of trees aligns this way? If I've been all the way around this area and can't find a way to get to shore, will I have to find an undersea cave? Some things couldn't be found through a bunch of different paths, and then you'd discover a partially hidden way through. These games have been crying out for that kind of thing, and it came together here.

The_Kiwi_
05-28-2015, 06:13 AM

It does what it was supposed to, that's why
As an AC game, it is a tad weak due to lack of Assassin/Templar conflict
But as a game set in the Golden Age of Piracy, it is a near perfect game
It has a very lively atmosphere, beautiful design, really fun gameplay and an engaging and well-written story

Plus, Edward is IMO the first character that is totally unique and realistic
He really grows as a person, unlike Ezio and Connor, whose stories are linear and self-contained

Well if you think Shay is your idea of a good character...

Shay is a good character
You are wrong if you say he is a bad character
Shay is 10/10

#shayislove #shayislife #itsallogrenow

Namikaze_17
05-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Why is this game and Edward Kenway so popular, I consider it the least game of the 8 and Edward is the worst assassin of the 6

Well considering the fact that the game ACTUALLY discusses about the Assassin's Creed more than the previous titles (barring AC1), makes Edward and his story of becoming an Assassin hold more value than some fanatic screaming "Vittoria agli Assassini!" in the middle of the street.

And as the member above me said, Edward was totally unique and realistic. His personality, ambitions, goals were all relatable and authentic in a way that made you identify with his progression later on as a character.

But to each their own; I guess Edward just isn't pure or traditional enough to be considered a "true Assassin".