PDA

View Full Version : Engine Mgmt in Campaigns

Oso2323
01-19-2004, 02:39 PM
I've tried playing a couple of the bf109F4 and G2 campaigns, but have run into a problem: I can't keep up with my squad mates after they've taken off. It seems that I have to keep the throttle at 110% just to keep station. Thi is not good.

I'm not using complex engine management and prop pitch is on auto. Is this the source of my problems? Suggestions?

Oso2323
01-19-2004, 02:39 PM
I've tried playing a couple of the bf109F4 and G2 campaigns, but have run into a problem: I can't keep up with my squad mates after they've taken off. It seems that I have to keep the throttle at 110% just to keep station. Thi is not good.

I'm not using complex engine management and prop pitch is on auto. Is this the source of my problems? Suggestions?

bastage2003
01-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Its the AI it sucks big time. Wait till you get shot down by a p47 in your fw or bf then you will be pissed. You just have to wait till they disengage then they are sitting ducks and you can pick them off one by one but make sure no one gets on your six it doesnt matter what you do they will get you. In other words they cheat. They will out turn you and doesnt matter what your flying against they will out run you as well. Dont know if they changed anything in 1.2 but this has been my past experience with AI so I never play single player.

knightflyte
01-20-2004, 01:08 AM
You make it seem like a lost cause, Bastage. It's not as bad as you make it out. No where near that bad.
But yeah, it's hard to keep up with squad mates after take off. I don't find it hard when I'm at cruising altitude.
Unless I need to engage enemy right away I just auto pilot to the way points.

Tempestate
02-01-2004, 01:19 AM
Try pressing A your Autopilot should be able to get you in a favourable posi after takeoff if you have trouble.

TheGozr
02-01-2004, 01:21 AM
Just shoot"em than http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-GOZR
"TheMotorheads" All for One and One for All (http://www.french.themotorhead.com/themotorhead_fighters/)

Chuck_Older
02-01-2004, 06:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bastage2003:
Its the AI it sucks big time. Wait till you get shot down by a p47 in your fw or bf then you will be pissed. In other words they cheat. They will out turn you and doesnt matter what your flying against they will out run you as well. Dont know if they changed anything in 1.2 but this has been my past experience with AI so I never play single player.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the AI had as good a flight model as you do, the PC you run the sim on would have to be fantasically more powerful than any PC you can buy. Maybe if you flew one on one with the AI you could get away with it, but think about the fights in which a dozen friendlies fight a dozen bandits over a city. The PC would never keep up. You'd need a PC that could handle all those equations at once. Maybe a used Cray? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

This is a common complaint, but it's the nature of the beast. AI has to have a simplified physics model. They do not 'cheat' however.

do I hear the echoes of the days of '39? ~Clash

reddevil49
02-01-2004, 06:41 AM
Try taking off a little earlyer and don't try to climb with them. I keep throttle around 90 percent and trim for a shallower climb. I find that this keeps my speed higher then the AI. This method seems to work for me so give it at try what have got to lose.

Chuck_Older
02-01-2004, 06:51 AM
Well that IS true. I mean, keep the tailwheel unlocked, swing right or left onto the recovery road, lock the tailwheel, and take off before the flight leader. Nobody's gonna court-martial you! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I do this all the time when an air raid is sounded at my base and I'm on the ground.

do I hear the echoes of the days of '39? ~Clash