PDA

View Full Version : LW fighter subvariants

HouseElfDobby
01-08-2004, 10:49 AM
just out of curiosity:

all those subvariants of the luftwaffe fighters like for the FW-190-A-5 the U1, U2, U3, R1 etc, where those something like field modification kits, so a basic A-5 could be converted to whatever was needed by the mission profile? Or where they factory-assembled that way, so if one got a U3, it stayed a U3?

Thanks for any insights
Dobby

HouseElfDobby
01-08-2004, 10:49 AM
just out of curiosity:

all those subvariants of the luftwaffe fighters like for the FW-190-A-5 the U1, U2, U3, R1 etc, where those something like field modification kits, so a basic A-5 could be converted to whatever was needed by the mission profile? Or where they factory-assembled that way, so if one got a U3, it stayed a U3?

Thanks for any insights
Dobby

F19_Ob
01-08-2004, 11:08 AM
some were fm kits and just like with the 109 they tried to standardise production with some models but it was very difficult in an ongoing war, and I remember reading somewhere that the feedback from the frontline was difficult to evaluate, both for the 109 and fw190 series so it took to long time to be effective.
so this way they ended up with all the kits.

cheers!!

01-08-2004, 01:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HouseElfDobby:
just out of curiosity:

Thanks for any insights
Dobby<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It`s a bit more complicated... There are Rustsatze, Rustzustand and Umrustsatze/Umbausatze(?), designated with the letter R or U, plus a ROMAN (not arab as usually used) number.

Basically only Rustsatze is the _field conversion kit_, that could be added to just about any plane on the field. Such are bombracks (R-I.), droptank (R-II.) or a 20mm cannnon gondola (R-VI) on Bf 109.

Rustzustand (apprx. "equipment type")is a _factory conversion_, being a bit more serious job that a field unit could not do in general due to the lack of tools and/or the level of modification. This equipment was usually fixed and wasn`t removed in the field, expect for maintance. To make things more complicated, it`s also abbrevated with "R-x".. things like recon camera installation, extra fuel tanks on the wings and the fuel lines to them etc. belong to here.

Finally, the Umbausatze ("built-in kits"). The are factory installations, pretty much like different types of the same subtype, and similiar to the Rustzustands, they are factory-only modifications, abbrevated with /U-x. Best example is like the 109G-6/U4, which had the MK 108 installed instead of a 20mm cannon, having a very different ammo stowage, armament installation, not at all compatible with the 20mm gun.

OK, if it`s not messy enough now, some of the originally factory-only /U modifications later become field kits as well, I think those are the Umrustbausatzse. Ie., the gondola cannons were factory only U kits on a small Bf 109F series, but later on the Bf 109G they become "/R-6" field kits, and could be mounted by the humble groundcrew to any 109G plane..

Hope didn`t mix it up too much, it`s quite complicated and I was working from memo.

LEXX_Luthor
01-08-2004, 01:30 PM
So many sub~variants cos LW simmers/simmerettes has only two (2) fighters to choose from and "allies" have hundreds of distinct fighter types. We need Italian fighters real bad like NOW.

He~112 too (used by Romulans I think over the Eastern Front)

HouseElfDobby
01-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Thanks Kurf├╝rst

That brings some clarity to it. Quite confusing, still... I'll have a look at the FB armament screen and then I'll read your post again http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

@LEXX_Luthor:
He-112? I always thought the Romulans use D'deridex class Warbirds, but maybe the 112 can go to warp, too http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dobby

FW190fan
01-08-2004, 02:47 PM
What Kurfurst said...great reply.

http://people.aero.und.edu/~choma/lrg0645.jpg