PDA

View Full Version : What if Unity was supposed to be just a DLC for AC Rogue? (WARNING! SPOILERS INSIDE)

DA SHIZZLE IG
05-16-2015, 02:49 PM
I was playing a few rounds of AC4 multi-player the other day and had a nice convo with a few other players. We all pretty much came to the same conclusion. Was unity originally intended to be an add-on for rogue after you finished the game? Like, could it have been like AC3's three part king Washington add-on DLC?

I mean unity seemed pretty short and add-on DLC-ish.(no need for an explanation lol). Rogue led right into unity and shay seemed to have vanished from history after that. Maybe they were planning on releasing bits and pieces of shay's life after killing arno's dad. Also teasing another first civilization artifact(like unity did smh). Kinda like how the DLC in the past ezio games did. Like playing as subject 16 making more sense out of certain situations in the main game. This sure as heck seems very possible and would have made sense.It would also explain releasing two games at the same time as well. Ubisoft was probably like "you know what, lets gone ahead and start on the next gen consoles". Scrapped the idea for rogue add-on DLC, tweaked the storyline a bit, added some stuff, and tossed in a little rushed irrelevant modern day action to make it feel like a stand alone AC title. Out of all the AC games and their add-on DLC's unity is just out of place. It's basically a side story/filler in the series. I hate to say this, but I really wouldn't put this past ubisoft lol.

My fellow assassins(and Templar's), Your thoughts?

SixKeys
05-16-2015, 02:52 PM
Lol no. Rogue was made in less than a year to cash in on AC4's success, Unity took 3 years to develop.

Going4Quests
05-16-2015, 02:52 PM
I don't think so, if this would have been the case Rogue would have had Unity's graphics and Unity would have had Rogue its graphics. Also, there were too many improvements in Unity than to the few improvements into Rogue vs Black Flag.

VestigialLlama4
05-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Let me get this straight: UNITY a game with entirely new NPCs, assets, animations, a brand new map, changes in gameplay and 1:1 recreations of Paris was a DLC for ROGUE, a game entirely built on cannibalized assets of AC3 and Black Flag?:rolleyes:

DA SHIZZLE IG
05-16-2015, 03:00 PM
Do we honestly know what story they were working on first though? Do we know which game was being developed 1st? It does seem weird how unity had nothing to do with the other games, the main plot, or desmon's family. Rogue barley added onto the story's progress but at least it tied into the other games including unity. Honestly, what was unity's purpose in the series compared to rogues? Hell, arno even forgot what his main goal was in the game(finding shay and getting revenge).

Hans684
05-16-2015, 03:03 PM
Consider Unity is a bigger filler it could have been that way. Rogue could have been current gen and with a longer story and with all the improvements(gameplay) that Unity has. Then the year after that we get a current gen FR game.

SixKeys
05-16-2015, 03:06 PM
Do we honestly know what story they were working on first though? Do we know which game was being developed 1st? It does seem weird how unity had nothing to do with the other games, the main plot, or desmon's family. Rogue barley added onto the story's progress but at least it tied into the other games including unity. Honestly, what was unity's purpose in the series compared to rogues? Hell, arno even forgot what his main goal was in the game(finding shay and getting revenge).

Jeffrey Yohalem said they had been teasing the French Revolution since ACB. So yes, we do know.

Unity was an attempt at reinventing the franchise, sort of. They changed a lot of things, got rid of most of the lore baggage from previous games, simplified modern day, etc. Arno's goal was never finding his father's killer. He makes peace with his personal loss in his initiation scene. His real goal is to protect Elise and make up for his mistake in failing to warn De La Serre in time.

VestigialLlama4
05-16-2015, 03:09 PM
Rogue could have been current gen and with a longer story and with all the improvements(gameplay) that Unity has.

I am sorry, ROGUE is a piece of fanfiction trash, a stain on the innovations and achievements of AC3 and Black Flag, two far superior games.

DA SHIZZLE IG
05-16-2015, 03:10 PM
Lol no. Rogue was made in less than a year to cash in on AC4's success, Unity took 3 years to develop.
Yo I was thinking this myself for a time. Because of all the attention they were giving unity over rogue. But after playing both unity and rogue it seemed that unity was the "cash grabber". Rogue actually makes sense and answered a huge question in AC3 and in AC4. Rogue seemed planned out(not in actual game development) years ago. Unity seemed thrown together and rushed to next gen. I still think unity was just quickly made mostly to try out the new game engine and the new systems. I think syndicate was supposed to be the actual next gen game of the series.

Mr_Shade
05-16-2015, 03:14 PM
:rolleyes: really?

Even though people have gone on record stating the development time of Unity..

Hans684
05-16-2015, 03:15 PM
I am sorry.

You're not sorry.

ROGUE is a piece of fanfiction trash.

Just like every other black and white games in the series.

A stain on the innovations and achievements of AC3 and Black Flag.

Depends on your basis for innovation.

Two far superior games.

Subjective and depends on your basis.

Going4Quests
05-16-2015, 03:21 PM
Can I remind you that Unity has lots of ties to the previous games? Just to name a few:

- I think that Bishop is Rebecca Crane with grown hair tbh, I also believe the guy with her is Shaun Hastings.

- Arno get's a Sword of Eden and there is another Piece of Eden in Dead Kings.

- Bishop introduces with the fact they destroyed the facility where the corpse of the sage in Black Flag was store.

- Bellec heavely references Atlaïr, Ezio, ...

EDIT: I believe there was also a vid where they stated Unity was made over *4* years, not 3.

EDIT2: Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rd2bFfwBg0

SixKeys
05-16-2015, 03:24 PM
- I think that Bishop is Rebecca Crane with grown hair tbh, I also believe the guy with her is Shaun Hastings.

Nope. Totally different voice and personality, and in the co-op missions Bishop says "Rebecca and I have cooked up a challenge for you", indicating they are two different people.

Going4Quests
05-16-2015, 03:27 PM
Ah, thanks! Didn't notice that one. :P But still, she's referenced! :)

SixKeys
05-16-2015, 03:30 PM
Shaun is clearly Deacon, though.

Going4Quests
05-16-2015, 03:30 PM
Ah yes, that was the name Bishop talked too! Sad that William Miles quit. :(

DA SHIZZLE IG
05-16-2015, 03:33 PM
Jeffrey Yohalem said they had been teasing the French Revolution since ACB. So yes, we do know.

Unity was an attempt at reinventing the franchise, sort of. They changed a lot of things, got rid of most of the lore baggage from previous games, simplified modern day, etc. Arno's goal was never finding his father's killer. He makes peace with his personal loss in his initiation scene. His real goal is to protect Elise and make up for his mistake in failing to warn De La Serre in time.
Basically what I was saying is shay killing his pops is what drove him to the brotherhood in the first place. It's what made arno somewhat relevant in the series but then later on in the game all of that goes out the window. He was more concerned about Elise's dads killer then his own. That completely made arno look like an idiot and confused the heck out of us all. It made arno a love sick puppy the rest of the game. Like him looking at his fathers watch all serious and stuff became irrelevant at this point. Like the game shifted from assassins creed to a soap opera and elise was the main character. After this I was thinking she was special and a major factor in the series. So I waited for a huge plot twist surrounding her at the end of the game.................NOPE, I was wrong smh.

I tried my best to make sense out of unity being a hard core AC fan and all. But I just couldn't, which led me to think what's in my original post lol. It's the only thing that makes sense and ties it into the series lol.

DA SHIZZLE IG
05-16-2015, 03:47 PM
:rolleyes: really?

Even though people have gone on record stating the development time of Unity..
The story bruh, the story. Like the main plot................remember that? What was planned out first. I find it hard to believe they came up with unity storyline over something that actually tied into the main plot and other games. Also a game that starts off unity lol.

Can I remind you that Unity has lots of ties to the previous games? Just to name a few:

- Arno get's a Sword of Eden and there is another Piece of Eden in Dead Kings.

- Bishop introduces with the fact they destroyed the facility where the corpse of the sage in Black Flag was store.

- Bellec heavely references Atlaïr, Ezio, ...

EDIT: I believe there was also a vid where they stated Unity was made over *4* years, not 3.

EDIT2: Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rd2bFfwBg0
Like I said, that basically has no impact on anything in the series. That all seemed rushed and thrown in there. What purpose does any of that serve in the big picture of AC? NOTHING! It would have made great DLC for rogue though. I'm still going to give it a chance to be relevant in the AC main plot though. Syndicate is unity's last hope lol(thought it was gonna be dead kings I was wrong again). If syndicate doesn't even mention/tie in unity to the main plot I'm going to believe my theory 100% lol.

YO mr shade, can you give us any kind of info if syndicate makes unity relevant in the main plot like all the other games?

Mr_Shade
05-16-2015, 04:12 PM
YO mr shade, can you give us any kind of info if syndicate makes unity relevant in the main plot like all the other games?

No, sorry can't give you any clues - story elements are not for discussion at this time ;)

Thirsty_panda
05-16-2015, 06:05 PM
Yo I was thinking this myself for a time. Because of all the attention they were giving unity over rogue. But after playing both unity and rogue it seemed that unity was the "cash grabber". Rogue actually makes sense and answered a huge question in AC3 and in AC4. Rogue seemed planned out(not in actual game development) years ago. Unity seemed thrown together and rushed to next gen. I still think unity was just quickly made mostly to try out the new game engine and the new systems. I think syndicate was supposed to be the actual next gen game of the series.

Are you saying that because they had pre-established the genocide angle back in AC3? Sure, they followed through with it in Rogue and what not, but genocide angles are simply what the AC universe encompasses. There is nothing special about it. Each side takes turns getting their *** kicked. But, before I get ahead of myself, were you referencing something else?

Charles_Phipps
05-16-2015, 06:46 PM
I am sorry, ROGUE is a piece of fanfiction trash, a stain on the innovations and achievements of AC3 and Black Flag, two far superior games.

You're entitled to your opinion but I hope you understand quite a few long-time AC fans disagree with it strongly. In my case, it had a better story, better character, better use of the series themes, and a better lead than Unity.

It's biggest problem was that it needed MORE of itself and less rip-offery of Black Flag.

But even then, this is AC--the father of reused assets. I might as well be complaining about stabbing people.

Eh, every game in the franchise is an attempt to cash in on the previous game's success.

I'm glad they got another million and a half games sold from the Black Flag assets.

rob1990312
05-16-2015, 06:50 PM
what a terrible theory, if anything rouge could nearly be a dlc for black flag

DA SHIZZLE IG
05-16-2015, 11:24 PM
Are you saying that because they had pre-established the genocide angle back in AC3? Sure, they followed through with it in Rogue and what not, but genocide angles are simply what the AC universe encompasses. There is nothing special about it. Each side takes turns getting their *** kicked. But, before I get ahead of myself, were you referencing something else?
Ummmm yeah, did you play rogue? The assassins suffered their biggest blow in history because of shay. The guy nearly took out a whole damn section of the brotherhood and then vanished from history. Right before he vanished he took out another top member of the brotherhood in another area lol. Plus he still has that first civilization doomsday device. This is clearly not just the average age old back and forth between the two groups.

what a terrible theory, if anything rouge could nearly be a dlc for black flag
You know what, you make a very good point. I never thought of this, this opens up a whole new can of worms. What if unity and rogue were meant to be add-on's?

But it would make more sense if rogue was an add-on for AC3 though. Because the time line goes like this: AC1 ---> AC2 ---> ACB ---> ACR ---> AC4 ---> AC ROGUE ---> AC3 ---> ACU.

So unity would fit in better being AC3 DLC(instead of king Washington). Rogue would perfect fit for AC4 add-on DLC. They would have complemented both AC3 and AC4 stories. Now you got me thinking that this could have possibly been their original plan. Both games did have a bunch of weirdness and disconnect surrounding them(especially unity). AS if they made the decision to throw these games out there to meet the yearly release quota. Throwing two games out at the same time is what really made fans give ubisoft the side eye as well.

SolidNSnake1985
05-17-2015, 12:51 AM
if anything that is DLC it's Rogue, which is a DLC to Black Flag ..

Nerdman3000
05-17-2015, 01:08 AM
I'm pretty sure Unity did NOT start off as a DLC to Rogue. You should instead be thinking of Brotherhood, which I'm pretty sure at one point in the beginning of it's development was intended to be a DLC for AC2. I could be wrong, but I believe Patrice Désilets had once said in an early interview that AC was originally suppose to be a trilogy at one point in its development.