PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Assassin HQ/Hideout?

sebg1994
05-15-2015, 11:38 PM
Each game in the series gives us either an assassin headquarters or a hideout for the protagonist, Just wondering which one people preferred the most.

- Maysaf Castle (AC1)
- Villa Auditore(AC2)
- Tiber Island Hideout(ACB)
- Galata HQ (ACR)
- Davenport Homestead (AC3)
- Great Inagua Hideout (AC4)
- The Assassin Council HQ (ACU)

EmptyCrustacean
05-16-2015, 12:05 AM
Each game in the series gives us either an assassin headquarters or a hideout for the protagonist, Just wondering which one people preferred the most.

- Maysaf Castle (AC1)
- Villa Auditore(AC2)
- Tiber Island Hideout(ACB)
- Galata HQ (ACR)
- Davenport Homestead (AC3)
- Great Inagua Hideout (AC4)
- The Assassin Council HQ (ACU)

Villa.

Altair1789
05-16-2015, 12:22 AM
Either Masyaf of the Davenport Homestead

btw, you spelled Masyaf "Maysaf" :p

SixKeys
05-16-2015, 12:34 AM
Villa Auditore.

Xstantin
05-16-2015, 01:03 AM
Villa Auditore

phoenix-force411
05-16-2015, 01:24 AM
Homestead. It felt homey minus the dangerous animals in the area. I would have said Auditore Villa, but the post-effects just want to make me barf.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-16-2015, 01:32 AM
Homestead
Masyaf
Villa

Fatal-Feit
05-16-2015, 03:07 AM
Masyaf, Galata HQ, and the Assassin Council HQ for me.

Namikaze_17
05-16-2015, 05:18 AM
Homestead, for me. Always felt like I was at an actual home when I was there. The townsfolk working and living their daily lives also added to it.

Second, would be the Villa as it also felt like a home. I especially liked how it grew more lively the more you innovated and things.

Would also Great Iguana, but I hardly had any reason to go there and it didn't exactly feel like an HQ or home sometimes. Still liked it though.

VestigialLlama4
05-16-2015, 06:18 AM
In terms of Assassin HQ it has to be the Tiber Island in Brotherhood. Simply because its really functional and totally within their aesthetic. It's arterially connected to 3/4th of Rome, hidden among the people and right underneath the noses of the Templars in the Vatican. It's totally got the whole underground resistance vibe down pat, it explains the Assassins quickness of movement, how Ezio's recruits crop up and follow him around, generally it makes a great deal of sense. On the outside its nondescript but on the inside, its kind of bigger (though it doesn't have windows and that's kind of weird).

Generally speaking, the Assassin's choice of HQ have been really impractical from a logistical perspective. Leaving aside Masyaf because that's from history, you have Monteriggioni, a small town in Tuscany with a really big honking target, okay it allows them to move from there to Florence and San Gimignano. The attack there by the Borgia is a nice bit of self-critique there, pointing out the flaws of taking such an open garrison and Ezio then builds something a little more modern, an underground cell. But then, in Revelations is the Assassins in the Galata District, on top of Istanbul, highly difficult to move from there to other parts of Istanbul, very little defenses (and it gets attacked too). The weird thing is Ezio says later that Altair let Masyaf fall to the Mongols because he saw that it became "a symbol of arrogance" and they should move underground yet all the Assassins keep doing is trying to rebuild Masyaf.

Black Flag has the Assassins in Tulum and Ah Tabai accepts Great Inagua but he tells Edward that the Assassins should move away from Masyafs and live among the people (why the hell didn't he come to this epiphany before going to Tulum?). The Homestead is kind of mini-Masyaf again, at least in ROGUE era but it has the functionality of having its own bay in which to keep ships and that's something at least. You can't operate the Aquila in a common port after all, it kind of needs a Batcave. In AC3, Connor's Homestead is more Connor being Connor and helping people than being Mentor of the Assassins, not very practical either, leave alone building the Homestead in an area and place known to the Templars. UNITY combines both worlds. You have Sainte-Chapelle which is kind of a White Elephant and the Cafe-Theatre, the latter is kind of a nondescript front and gives the underground vibe well. But the point is the Assassins don't listen to Altair in his Codex when he said "In the future, a big fancy castle in the middle of nowhere is not all that bright an idea if you think about it."

GunnerGalactico
05-16-2015, 09:55 AM
-Masayaf fortress
-Tiber Island
-Davenport Homestead

sebg1994
05-16-2015, 10:09 AM
Either Masyaf of the Davenport Homestead

btw, you spelled Masyaf "Maysaf" :p

Sorry it was late here in the UK when I made the thread!

Anyways, the results are kind of how I expected, with the homestead and Villa Auditore out in the lead with a few mentions for Tiber Island and Masyaf also

sebg1994
05-16-2015, 10:11 AM
In terms of Assassin HQ it has to be the Tiber Island in Brotherhood. Simply because its really functional and totally within their aesthetic. It's arterially connected to 3/4th of Rome, hidden among the people and right underneath the noses of the Templars in the Vatican. It's totally got the whole underground resistance vibe down pat, it explains the Assassins quickness of movement, how Ezio's recruits crop up and follow him around, generally it makes a great deal of sense. On the outside its nondescript but on the inside, its kind of bigger (though it doesn't have windows and that's kind of weird).

Generally speaking, the Assassin's choice of HQ have been really impractical from a logistical perspective. Leaving aside Masyaf because that's from history, you have Monteriggioni, a small town in Tuscany with a really big honking target, okay it allows them to move from there to Florence and San Gimignano. The attack there by the Borgia is a nice bit of self-critique there, pointing out the flaws of taking such an open garrison and Ezio then builds something a little more modern, an underground cell. But then, in Revelations is the Assassins in the Galata District, on top of Istanbul, highly difficult to move from there to other parts of Istanbul, very little defenses (and it gets attacked too). The weird thing is Ezio says later that Altair let Masyaf fall to the Mongols because he saw that it became "a symbol of arrogance" and they should move underground yet all the Assassins keep doing is trying to rebuild Masyaf.

Black Flag has the Assassins in Tulum and Ah Tabai accepts Great Inagua but he tells Edward that the Assassins should move away from Masyafs and live among the people (why the hell didn't he come to this epiphany before going to Tulum?). The Homestead is kind of mini-Masyaf again, at least in ROGUE era but it has the functionality of having its own bay in which to keep ships and that's something at least. You can't operate the Aquila in a common port after all, it kind of needs a Batcave. In AC3, Connor's Homestead is more Connor being Connor and helping people than being Mentor of the Assassins, not very practical either, leave alone building the Homestead in an area and place known to the Templars. UNITY combines both worlds. You have Sainte-Chapelle which is kind of a White Elephant and the Cafe-Theatre, the latter is kind of a nondescript front and gives the underground vibe well. But the point is the Assassins don't listen to Altair in his Codex when he said "In the future, a big fancy castle in the middle of nowhere is not all that bright an idea if you think about it."

I always prefer having a big HQ somewhere purely for how cool it looks but ideally all of them should be following the footsteps of Tiber Island.

VestigialLlama4
05-16-2015, 11:05 AM
I always prefer having a big HQ somewhere purely for how cool it looks but ideally all of them should be following the footsteps of Tiber Island.

It's also a problem of how many maps the game has. Like you have the single map games (BROTHERHOOD, REVELATIONS, UNITY) and the games which are multi-maps (AC1, AC2, AC3, Black Flag). AC2 is the weakest in my view because there's no hub world, I mean yes you can zoom out and see the Boot of Italy with all the cities and I like that. AC1 and AC3 have Hub Worlds (The Kingdom and the Frontier) but there you have the problem that the hub world is essentially a throughway to all the other maps. Black Flag solved the problem in that the hub world, the Caribbean Sea contained all the sub maps, and the sub-maps are merely enlargements.

In the multi-map games, Masyaf, Monteriggioni and the Homestead work. Of those three I like Masyaf most, because its a classic, its historical and the most functional and symbolic as well. I like that you can simply jump off the side hill as soon as you step outside the Masyaf gate and roll down and leap of faith until you reach the exit gates with the horse. In Black Flag Tulum doesn't work because its located at the Yucatan Due West of the Map so it doesn't have a lot of function in my view.

The Tiber Island hideout can't really be compared to Monetriggioni. But it can be compared to the Galata Den, you can see the problem with the latter...Galata is at the top of Istanbul, separated from the city centre by the Golden Horn. How the Assassins get any work done is beyond me, since they spend a lot of time either sailing the ferry(and so risk exposing themselves) or swimming the Golden Horn, which strikes me as waste of useful stamina. The Cafe Theatre is more in the vein of Tiber Island, but you know the connection isn't there because there's no hint of conspiracy or being on the run. Like in Brotherhood, Ezio and Machiavelli take the hideout on rent from the Orsinis and they have to hide from the borgia, and its got underground tunnels so there's that whole air of clandestine activity that made it work, that slowly you were retaking the city. A place like Cafe Theatre logically should be affected by events like the Terror and be subject to raids and the like.

Shahkulu101
05-16-2015, 11:22 AM
Villa Auditore and the Homstead.

Only places that felt like home.

Shadow__Hazard
05-17-2015, 10:45 AM
I really loved Villa Auditore and the Davenport Homestead, but as a bit of a pirate nut I have to go with Black Flag's Great Inagua Hideout.

Sorrosyss
05-17-2015, 11:37 AM
The homestead.

It was fun to build a community, and see their little adventures as it grew. I'll never forget the pig herding, or playing bowls outside the tavern. ;)

D.I.D.
05-17-2015, 11:38 AM
I voted for Unity's HQ, on the assumption that it includes Café Theatre and the house, given that they're connected buildings.