PDA

View Full Version : Playing the Stock Market

TexasCaesar
05-14-2015, 07:27 PM
Every Assassin's Creed game has had some sort of resource management minigame since II, such as Monteriggioni, Roman businesses, the Davenport Homestead, Kenway's fleet, and that crappy Cafe Theatre. I'm sure something will be introduced for London, and I doubt it will be anything like what I'm going to suggest, but...

I think there should be a stock market mechanic in Syndicate, like how there was one in GTA 5. See, London was the financial capital of the world in those times, and with the Industrial Revolution starting to pick up pace, that method of investment had become increasingly common. You didn't make money off of owning your own factories and fleets so much as you did buying shares of others'.

By adding a stock market and missions to influence prices, Ubisoft could make a much deeper, more satisfying, and thematic resource system.

D.I.D.
05-14-2015, 07:33 PM
No. GTA V forces you to use the stock market by jacking the prices of buyable properties to enormous levels, and then hiding missions behind those properties. It's quite nice the way the Lester missions hook into big, obvious returns, and the ability to combine stock market effects into your sandbox mayhem (shooting up coffee bars, destroying wildlife, etc) fits in with that game. It only really works because it's a cartoon world in which someone could repeatedly invest $150m in a failing company with a rock bottom stock price (just before their rivals suffer assassinations) without attracting the attentions of law enforcement.

For AC, I don't think it has any place.

VestigialLlama4
05-14-2015, 07:33 PM
Every Assassin's Creed game has had some sort of resource management minigame since II, such as Monteriggioni, Roman businesses, the Davenport Homestead, Kenway's fleet, and that crappy Cafe Theatre. I'm sure something will be introduced for London, and I doubt it will be anything like what I'm going to suggest, but...

I think there should be a stock market mechanic in Syndicate, like how there was one in GTA 5. See, London was the financial capital of the world in those times, and with the Industrial Revolution starting to pick up pace, that method of investment had become increasingly common. You didn't make money off of owning your own factories and fleets so much as you did buying shares of others'.

By adding a stock market and missions to influence prices, Ubisoft could make a much deeper, more satisfying, and thematic resource system.

That might work, the primitive stock market of the Victorian era and how it worked would be awesome and Ubisoft would be "keeping up with the GTAs" as well.

Altair1789
05-14-2015, 08:22 PM
I'd rather have another system like Monteriggioni

LoyalACFan
05-15-2015, 01:35 AM
No, I'd much rather have income based on something that makes sense for the character of Jacob. I don't think a rough-and-tumble gutter-trash gangster is going to be intricately involved in playing the stocks.

Sorrosyss
05-15-2015, 01:50 AM
I recall reading that the Rooks operate out of a tavern. I think it's highly likely it will be a re-use of some of the assets from Unity in that regard.