PDA

View Full Version : How will we view Jacob's and Evie's memories?

Eziodagreat
05-14-2015, 05:31 PM
Knowing that the memories of Jacob and Evie will (probably) be researched through sample 17, and knowing that we will be playing as both the brother and sister... this only leads me to one conclusion as to how the memories get passed down for us to view.

Unless of course they decide to steer away from Desmond's memories, and start something newer. Thoughts?

Going4Quests
05-14-2015, 05:33 PM
I fear they aren't family of Desmond. I tought this first too, but I have learned today (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1112747-End-of-Arno/page3) that Arno isn't an ancestor either.

Civona
05-14-2015, 05:42 PM
Arno wasn't from sample 17, and they've also started to steer away from ancestral memory so they don't have an arbitrary limit on where they have to stop the story. It's more about memory that comes directly from the DNA of the subject, which is why we were able to play as a Templar who died in the beginning of Unity.

So both or one of these memories likely comes directly from the ancestor in question, rather than being passed down, as obviously no descendant would get both Jacob and Evie's memories unless there was an incest thing going on. I doubt there will be.

I'm glad that they decided to stop adding even more ridiculous variety to Desmond's ancestry, as if he were connected to everyone it would make the world feel real small.

NondairyGold
05-14-2015, 05:54 PM
We've left Desmond behind for the past two/three games (Freedom Cry, Rogue and Unity). Abstergo are now taking samples from the general population and it would be relatively easy to combine two sets of DNA in the Helix so we could jump from one character to another.

Charles_Phipps
05-14-2015, 06:02 PM
Also, they can remove samples from dead bodies now.

I-Like-Pie45
05-15-2015, 12:35 AM
The game will conclude with the act of incest that conceives the child that leads to their Canadian descendent in the Nova Scotia's South Mountains.

Sorrosyss
05-15-2015, 12:57 AM
Ubisoft wrote themselves out of the animus restrictions awhile back. Now anyone with access to the Helix cloud servers can access memories, from a massive database of DNA samples. This is how you appear to be an ordinary person in the present day from AC4 onwards, and even a gamer in Unity.

With Desmond's death they had to get out of this narrative hole. (Though some would argue we have not emerged from said hole yet)

D.I.D.
05-15-2015, 06:45 AM
Ubisoft wrote themselves out of the animus restrictions awhile back. Now anyone with access to the Helix cloud servers can access memories, from a massive database of DNA samples. This is how you appear to be an ordinary person in the present day from AC4 onwards, and even a gamer in Unity.

With Desmond's death they had to get out of this narrative hole. (Though some would argue we have not emerged from said hole yet)

They could still have the ancestor thing in this case. 150 years is plenty of time for their family trees to branch off and safely recombine in a great-great-great (or more)-grandchild.

Shahkulu101
05-15-2015, 06:58 AM
Maybe because they are twins we are accessing the same DNA strand for both of them. If this makes any sense - you probably know what I mean anyway...

Someone actually suggested this very theory a while back.

VestigialLlama4
05-15-2015, 07:49 AM
Maybe because they are twins we are accessing the same DNA strand for both of them. If this makes any sense - you probably know what I mean anyway...

Someone actually suggested this very theory a while back.

I don't think Assassin's Creed are going down the Game of Thrones route myself. The developers said that after UNITY they wanted to avoid "romance distracting from the story" and the minute you go down that territory, everyone's gonna call Syndicate, "Oh, it's that AC game where..." and I don't think Ubisoft want to go down that route. Also its not very interesting in and of itself outside of internet memes, to make something like that and make it work seriously, it has to be the entire game story. Also the Westermarck Effect didn't come into being out of thin air.

There are multiple choices and options available for them to do it without tapping into ancestral memory or anyone else. Right now Assassins and Templars are searching for information about Sages right so they have to explore past DNA. Abstergo's Helix Release is part of that. The Assassins via INITIATES are racing against the clock while at the same time using the Initiates and Helix to get new recruits or advertise themselves. From ROGUE and the HELIX Rifts, we know that Assassins shut down Phoenix Project and Sage research offices and halted some of Abstergo's activities.

The options can be new DNA samples from people who didn't get into Abstergo's clutches. Shaun Hastings for instance or maybe that Galina women, maybe she has British ancestors and they kind of built her up in INITIATES. The simpler route is...looking at the dead. DNA samples depending on how its preserved (i.e. not like the Germain who was left to rot in that tomb until Arno disposed and destroyed the last of his remains) can be accessed for someone who died say in the 1870s. I mean they tested DNA of Richard III and he died some 650 years ago. And you know playing Assassins who died and potentially living their last thoughts is something the Animus can now do thanks to Black Flag Darby McDevitt changes. Alternatively they can make it so that the DNA comes from one dead sample and one descendant's so you don't know for sure which of the twins lives and which dies. The fact that the game is set in 1868 and a single year, suggests that they are going down the "live fast, die young" ethos.

D.I.D.
05-15-2015, 08:10 AM
The developers said that after UNITY they wanted to avoid "romance distracting from the story"

Really? That's such a shame. I wish they'd realise that Unity didn't have an unfocussed story because of romance, but rather because the romance they provided was weirdly sterile. Romance can be a superb story-driver and a way to indirectly expose facets of the characters. It feels like they're throwing out the baby with the bathwater to me.

Shahkulu101
05-15-2015, 08:15 AM
I wasn't referring to incest but saying that we can access their memories at once because twins' DNA is the same (I think).

So that would explain how we can have dual protagonists. If my reasoning makes no sense - I'm awful at science so it probably is - then perhaps you can suggest an alternative.

VestigialLlama4
05-15-2015, 08:37 AM
Really? That's such a shame. I wish they'd realise that Unity didn't have an unfocussed story because of romance, but rather because the romance they provided was weirdly sterile. Romance can be a superb story-driver and a way to indirectly expose facets of the characters. It feels like they're throwing out the baby with the bathwater to me.

The point is they are in knee-jerk mode. SYNDICATE has to be the Anti-UNITY, so elements perceived as weaknesses and limitations of story from criticism are identified and removed, that means yes throwing the baby with the bathwater. Besides I don't think the romance between Arno and Elise was all that interesting. Elise was nice as a character and Arno is kind of nicer and more tolerable in her presence but ultimately its not a romance so much as "Girl disobeys boyfriend and neglects his needs."

I wasn't referring to incest but saying that we can access their memories at once because twins' DNA is the same (I think).

So that would explain how we can have dual protagonists. If my reasoning makes no sense - I'm awful at science so it probably is - then perhaps you can suggest an alternative.

This isn't about real science. AC is all about pseudo-science and fake science. In any case, even if "the twins DNA is the same or identical" (which it isn't by the way, especially not with fraternal twins) the point is, in AC DNA are like organic hard-disks they store memories. How can one person's DNA carry memories of another person living contemporaneously and in another body. It makes zero sense even with AC logic. You access memories via DNA sample, to access someone else's memories you need a different DNA sample. As per the Data Dump Scanner, where you can load and acces multiple memories to sequence, obviously its extended to switching between them, especially if the Frye Twins spent a great deal of time together, involved in the same missions and activity, so you can render a single location and switch between multiple protagonists.

D.I.D.
05-15-2015, 09:26 AM
The point is they are in knee-jerk mode. SYNDICATE has to be the Anti-UNITY, so elements perceived as weaknesses and limitations of story from criticism are identified and removed, that means yes throwing the baby with the bathwater. Besides I don't think the romance between Arno and Elise was all that interesting. Elise was nice as a character and Arno is kind of nicer and more tolerable in her presence but ultimately its not a romance so much as "Girl disobeys boyfriend and neglects his needs."

Exactly. Aside from a couple of fleeting moments, they were just like brother and sister, or maybe even less than that. It wasn't really clear what each of them liked about the other, or the degree to which they had those feelings.

I'd say it was more the case that it was the story of "boy disobeys girlfriend and neglects her needs", though! She's trying to get this thing done, Arno promises to help, and then he continually messes it up because of his other concerns.

VestigialLlama4
05-15-2015, 09:41 AM
Exactly. Aside from a couple of fleeting moments, they were just like brother and sister, or maybe even less than that. It wasn't really clear what each of them liked about the other, or the degree to which they had those feelings.

I'd say it was more the case that it was the story of "boy disobeys girlfriend and neglects her needs", though! She's trying to get this thing done, Arno promises to help, and then he continually messes it up because of his other concerns.

His other concerns are mostly, getting to third base with Elise. His basic attitude is that Elise should forget her vengeance schmeangeance and not endanger herself to fight off Germain. Elise is Lady Ezio essentially in terms of background and personality. I kept hoping there would be a scene where she announces, "The de la Serres are not dead. I'm still here, me, Elise de la Serre."

The problem is gameplay-wise, you are on Arno side, since Elise never accompanies you or participates in any of the major assassinations so you have no reason to believ she would be capable of fighting Germain. Its not Elise that saves Arno from Pierre Bellec. Its always Arno to the rescue, she's on the run and she starts up a baloon and Arno has to fight off dudes and hold on while she flies. UNITY is a fairly sexist game, classicaly so. It's also classist and right-wing.

I hope they correct is with SYNDICATE. Personally I think Syndicate will be a fairly light-hearted adventurous game, where the two heroes live to the end. I think they want to preserve assets and they'll end SYNDICATE in such a way they can see what to do in a sequel.

Derp43
05-16-2015, 07:05 PM
t's also classist and right-wing.

Elaborate, please.

VestigialLlama4
05-16-2015, 07:10 PM
Elaborate, please.

Have done so in extensive detail here:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/954025-ACU-History-A-list-of-demonstrable-lies-and-inaccuracies-**SPOILERS**

Derp43
05-17-2015, 12:11 AM
Have done so in extensive detail here:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/954025-ACU-History-A-list-of-demonstrable-lies-and-inaccuracies-**SPOILERS**

I looked over that, and all I found was you somewhat defending Robespierre, which is just stupid.

Also surprised you didn't comment on the game's misportrayal of Marie-Antoinette.

Altair1789
05-17-2015, 12:42 AM

They may be twins, but they're not identical twins since one is a boy and one is a girl. Identical twins and un-identical twins don't exactly happen the same way. Plus, the memories are sorta encoded as time goes by, they're not based on the nitrogen base sequence

Namikaze_17
05-17-2015, 12:46 AM
^ The abuse of women is real... :rolleyes:

VestigialLlama4
05-17-2015, 02:48 AM
I looked over that, and all I found was you somewhat defending Robespierre, which is just stupid.

Clearly you did not read that, because I have updated and corrected it and gone into detail, and cited sources.

Also surprised you didn't comment on the game's misportrayal of Marie-Antoinette.

Well she's hardly there in the game to be honest. Ideally, if they wanted to be accurate to her real personality, they could have made her the Templar Grandmaster.

In any case, this is wildly off-topic...

Derp43
05-17-2015, 03:02 AM
Well she's hardly there in the game to be honest. Ideally, if they wanted to be accurate to her real personality, they could have made her the Templar Grandmaster.

Why would she make a good Templar Grandmaster?

VestigialLlama4
05-17-2015, 03:29 AM
Why would she make a good Templar Grandmaster?

As I said above this is getting wildly off-topic. If you want to continue, please post in the forum link I mentioned above.

SirTookTookIII
05-17-2015, 05:22 AM
As an identical twin i will not except them as twins until somebody asks them if they can feel the other being punched. #promoting stereotypes

Charles_Phipps
05-17-2015, 06:45 AM
They may be twins, but they're not identical twins since one is a boy and one is a girl. Identical twins and un-identical twins don't exactly happen the same way. Plus, the memories are sorta encoded as time goes by, they're not based on the nitrogen base sequence

It's actually possible for identical male/female twins but INCREDIBLY unlikely.

They just have to have the egg split and then the right hormones very early in the pregnancy.