PDA

View Full Version : Preparing the Syndicate scene

Shrykull_the1st
05-13-2015, 10:49 PM
Hail everyone. So to prepare the scene or mood for Syndicate, what good movies or TV shows can be recommended that are set in Victorian London? And, deviating a little, what could these be for the setting of Unity also?

JamesFaith007
05-13-2015, 10:57 PM
Ripper street. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaK6KjaNlPc)

Situated later then AC (1892) but it is great atmospheric detective show from White chapel which is in first series still badly shaken from Ripper's murders happened one year ago.

RA503
05-13-2015, 11:18 PM
From Hell by Alan moore,not only the setting but the conspiracies have a lot in common with AC, give preference for the comic because the movie cut all supernatural,architecture analysis and references to the cretans (First Civ in this comic universe,yes, even this exist here).

This book change my perception of reality,everything including architecture are designed in a way to change our way of think...

D.I.D.
05-13-2015, 11:27 PM
[edit] Just remembered - there was a BBC adaptation of Charles ****en's Bleak House back in 2005, if you can find it anywhere. I can only vaguely remember it, which isn't a great sign, but I think it was decent. Also try The Crimson Petal and the White (2011) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crimson_Petal_and_the_White_(miniseries)), which was excellent imo (especially for Romola Garai's performance).

If you want a completely swivel-eyed supernatural show, watch Penny Dreadful. Again, it's set late in the period, and the characters are fictional ones (some borrowed from classic horror fiction), but in terms of atmosphere, magical intrigue and ridiculous violence, it's about as close as you're going to get on TV right now.

The only other current TV show that might interest you is Peaky Blinders. It's not Victorian, and in fact it's much later, being set just after World War One. It's also not in London, except for parts of the second series, being mostly set in Brimingham (and filmed in Manchester, Liverpool and Bolton). You might wonder why I'd recommend it at all, but there's a big feature in common: working class gangs based around pubs in run-down industrial cities aren't that different in Peaky Blinders compared to the vision presented in Syndicate so far. Tom Hardy's turn as a Jewish London gangster is an interesting one, since he's a character largely unchanged by the world modernising around him, and is clearly stuck in old traditions and spit-and-handshake deals.

The BBC adaptation of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell starts next Saturday. It's set about 50 years before Syndicate, closer to Unity than Syndicate, but most of the book takes place in London. If the budget's been high enough to show it, you'll get a good view of London just before the Industrial period, and of course many of those buildings were still in use during the Victorian period and some still are today. While it's unlikely to scratch the itch you're asking about, there might be something of interest to you here in terms of atmosphere. It's also a superb book, so there's every chance the TV show will be great too.

Cornik22
05-13-2015, 11:42 PM
Ripper Street! It's brilliant, I love it. Also, Penny Dreadful, and movies like Sherlock Holmes 1 and 2, with Downey Jr. Pure fun :)

HiddenKiller612
05-13-2015, 11:45 PM
Not set in England, but Gangs of New York comes to mind.

Deezl-V
05-13-2015, 11:59 PM
what good movies or TV shows can be recommended that are set in Victorian London?

Not set in England, but Gangs of New York comes to mind.

Good job, HiddenKiller. 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Locopells
05-14-2015, 12:21 AM
Pretty much anything Holmes, though the Brett ones are best (as they play it straight).

Shrykull_the1st
05-14-2015, 01:03 AM
Excellent, thank you very much for the recommendations, which I will see a.s.a.p.. From Hell, saw the movie, have to read the Comic. The reference to the Cretans, if I understood well, had my curiosity as I dedicate myself much to ancient history. Penny Dreadful I already follow, very good. Also saw The Libertine (granted being earlier) and on this I cannot find, if it exists, a movie on Marquis de Sade and those "philosophies", let us say, part of why I also asked for movies set in the time of Unity. From Queen Victoria saw The Young Victoria in the hope that it might also elaborate her public life, but it restricts to her private life.

Xstantin
05-14-2015, 01:21 AM
Penny Dreadful is awesome