PDA

View Full Version : P51 cockpit visibility

Blutarski2004
05-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Many folks will recall the lengthy discussion which too place over cockpit visibility some months ago. I found this interview with Phil Cohen, WW2 P51 pilot, which sheds some light on the topic with respect to P51 canopy visibility.

http://home.insightbb.com/~j.dapena/cohen/interview.html

from which I quote as follows:

QUOTE -

Phil's Planes
Phil flew four types of planes, all Mustangs: P-51A, P-51B, P-51C and P-51D. He flew the P-51A during training at Bartow Field in Florida. It was equipped with an Allison engine. The other three planes had Rolls Royce Merlin engines (license-built by Packard), and he flew them in combat in Europe. The canopy of Phil's P-51B was identical to that of the P-51A, while his P-51C was fitted with a bulging canopy ("Malcolm Hood") similar to the one used by most British Spitfires. The P-51D had an all-round-vision bubble-type canopy. Phil's plane was marked with the letters "FT-D", and it was called the "Flying Joker".

-How good was visibility toward the rear in the P-51B?
-I had a mirror outside the cockpit.

-Were those mirrors very effective?

-[shakes his head] The mirror had no adjustment. I tell you that you could not see anything. They should have just taken the mirror off! [laughs] In the P-51D the mirror had no use at all, but it was a million times better than in the B plane.

-So it was still bad in the P-51D?

-Yes.

-Why was the mirror bad?

-Because it was useless in the air!

-In the P-51D, with the bubble canopy, could you just turn your head and look back? Or did the head rest obscure a lot of the view?

-In the P-51D you could look back, yeah.

-It was good?

-Yeah, yeah.

-So the fact that you had a backrest there did not obstruct the view a lot?

-Yeah.

-But in the P-51B, if you turned back, could you see anything?

-In the B plane you could see nothing. Nothing.

-Could you see better in the P-51C than on the B?

-Much, much better.

-So the Spitfire kind of canopy helped a lot?

-Yes. You could turn your head and look back.

BLUTARSKI

Blutarski2004
05-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Many folks will recall the lengthy discussion which too place over cockpit visibility some months ago. I found this interview with Phil Cohen, WW2 P51 pilot, which sheds some light on the topic with respect to P51 canopy visibility.

http://home.insightbb.com/~j.dapena/cohen/interview.html

from which I quote as follows:

QUOTE -

Phil's Planes
Phil flew four types of planes, all Mustangs: P-51A, P-51B, P-51C and P-51D. He flew the P-51A during training at Bartow Field in Florida. It was equipped with an Allison engine. The other three planes had Rolls Royce Merlin engines (license-built by Packard), and he flew them in combat in Europe. The canopy of Phil's P-51B was identical to that of the P-51A, while his P-51C was fitted with a bulging canopy ("Malcolm Hood") similar to the one used by most British Spitfires. The P-51D had an all-round-vision bubble-type canopy. Phil's plane was marked with the letters "FT-D", and it was called the "Flying Joker".

-How good was visibility toward the rear in the P-51B?
-I had a mirror outside the cockpit.

-Were those mirrors very effective?

-[shakes his head] The mirror had no adjustment. I tell you that you could not see anything. They should have just taken the mirror off! [laughs] In the P-51D the mirror had no use at all, but it was a million times better than in the B plane.

-So it was still bad in the P-51D?

-Yes.

-Why was the mirror bad?

-Because it was useless in the air!

-In the P-51D, with the bubble canopy, could you just turn your head and look back? Or did the head rest obscure a lot of the view?

-In the P-51D you could look back, yeah.

-It was good?

-Yeah, yeah.

-So the fact that you had a backrest there did not obstruct the view a lot?

-Yeah.

-But in the P-51B, if you turned back, could you see anything?

-In the B plane you could see nothing. Nothing.

-Could you see better in the P-51C than on the B?

-Much, much better.

-So the Spitfire kind of canopy helped a lot?

-Yes. You could turn your head and look back.

BLUTARSKI

popse
05-12-2004, 05:27 PM
What? Has there been a cockpit issue on this forum? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/53.gif
Tell me more about that, like details....

Blutarski2004
05-13-2004, 09:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by popse:
What? Has there been a cockpit issue on this forum? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/53.gif
Tell me more about that, like details....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

..... Do an archive search on - Erla Haube Isegrim Milo Morai Tagert Blutarski. The thread covered several topics simultaneously and went to about 500 posts. All sorts of flames, diagrams, photos, and foolishness.

BLUTARSKI

TheEngine88
05-13-2004, 10:17 AM
Regarding cockpit mirrors, Gunther Rall has said that, in the Bf109 at least, if you ever saw an enemy aircraft in your mirror, it was time to get out of your aircraft!

LeadSpitter_
05-13-2004, 04:01 PM
i dont get why we dont have mirrors on the p51s, I mean i dont even use them on the aircraft that have them. But if you see anyones squadron plane it has either 3 types of mirrors on it,

the only ones I seen without them are fresh from the factory p51s.

the 352nd used the 2 left and right mirrors all the others used the center p47 mirror or the p38s plexi glass mounted mirror. I read that all the mirrors used on the p51s were either from hurricanes spitfires p38s p40s or p47s

http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/leadspitter/newsig.jpg