PDA

View Full Version : Message for Unity Development Team

syche77
05-12-2015, 10:27 PM
HI Ubisoft.

Saw your video on the impact the unity reception had on everyone.

So I just decided to post you something which I've been meaning to say to you:

I LOVED AC:Unity.

I mean, I loved Black Flag, which was my first AC game. I thought I would miss being a pirate (which I still do miss) but Unity made me love the revolution.
Hell it made me start RESEARCHING the revolution, which was clearly one of the most fascinating periods of human history!
Wandering through Paris in the game, kinda recognising the places and characters and references, was unlike playing any other game I've played. I mean, OF COURSE, I knew who killed Marat! Hell I was watching a documentary the other day and that 'wait a minute -That's the Jacobin club!' and sure enough...

Truly, it was eye poppingly beautiful, I loved Arno as a character, loved the Helix missions for a change of pace, enjoyed reading the descriptions of the people and places and I fell in love with digital Paris as much as anyone would the real thing.

I honestly think Unity deserves a 'Mission Accomplished'.

We are always our own worst critics and I'm sure from the inside you are all doing the always necessary job of what could be done differently next time, however I thought you needed to hear from outside of the 'Internet WAAAHH zone' which is such an echo chamber that you might have been convince that unity wasn't great. It was. It was fun enough that I spent 84 odd hours there, and missed the streets of Paris when it was over.

I work in a global multi-disciplinary for profit business myself, and know how people who have never worked in such a business to imagine that being of such a size means that of course you can achieve 'ALL the things!'. And then you get promoted into control of all the things and you realise it's not that easy to co-ordinate them all, especially by a business critical date.

So chin up! Don't pay too much attention to the WAAH zone because I for one am looking forward to exploring London in October more than ever.

PS Can I please have rogue on PS4, when you have a free moment ;)

pacmanate
05-12-2015, 10:36 PM
The "WAAH Zone" is called the opinion zone.

Megas_Doux
05-12-2015, 11:51 PM
Now this an oddity, in case the thread is serious....

Aside from the unacceptable launch and its micro-transactions disaster, I think Unity had it pretty hard. The story was not good , there are also annoying details that understandably angered many people in the likes of not having background music or the "traditional" goofy/over top accents. Then thereīs the fact that AC fan-base wants to be demigods able to obliterate waves and waves of enemies, something that needs effort to be accomplished in Unity unlike the rest of the franchise. The game had some pretty cool ideas of what I always wanted for the franchise, but the execution ultimately failed due to many factors. Believe I wish I can say how much I love the game, based on my overall passion for the setting, but I canīt........

PD Iīm one of the 45 people worldwide that liked the game.

SofaJockey
05-13-2015, 12:35 AM
On balance I did not enjoy ACU as much as ACII and Black Flag.
Though I preferred it to ACIII.

I played it on XB1 a couple of months after release so was probably shielded from many of the bugs.

I remain a little conflicted because like Rogue, I struggled with the plot.

I replayed both ACII and ACIV.
A replay of ACU was essentially killed for me in 'that' ending...

syche77
05-13-2015, 10:10 AM
Now this an oddity, in case the thread is serious....

lol Yes I was being serious and maybe I was an oddity.

I really enjoyed Black flag more than is healthy, and when I heard of all the problems Unity was supposed to have I ended up avoiding it - intending to play Rogue instead.

But then I started getting interested in revolutions and I wanted to learn more about the French revolution, and decided that I'd pick up Unity while I researched revolutionary France.
(which if you haven't ever done I highly recommend - it's essential education for the human race. You seriously don't understand the modern era without understanding that revolution)

Anyway - I played it on PS4 and got zero performance issues. I enjoyed Dead Kings for free, it added a whole new geeky dimension to know the historical significance of the Paris stories and such. It was awesome.

Sure it wasn't perfect but the way people pick over it inch by inch strikes me as unqualified pedantry.

Especially given the majority have never had to bring such a massive undertaking to fruition - you just don't know how impressive a feat it is to get that game on the shelf at all.

I mean I'm not in game development but I do know what it's like to try to do something that balances business needs with creative and professional ambitions, across multiple teams in different locations.

Hopefully the Ubisoft team gets to see this post so they know that, I at east, had a friggin great time in revolutionary Paris thanks to them. I even learned a few things.And surely that's why they do it.

syche77
05-13-2015, 10:14 AM
The "WAAH Zone" is called the opinion zone.

Well tomato, tomato I guess.

But I did just make an entirely positive post evincing my support for something, from which you managed to find something to disagree with in under 10 minutes

So maybe you kinda supported my point.

DA SHIZZLE IG
05-13-2015, 01:56 PM
HI Ubisoft.

Saw your video on the impact the unity reception had on everyone.

So I just decided to post you something which I've been meaning to say to you:

I LOVED AC:Unity.

I mean, I loved Black Flag, which was my first AC game. I thought I would miss being a pirate (which I still do miss) but Unity made me love the revolution.
Hell it made me start RESEARCHING the revolution, which was clearly one of the most fascinating periods of human history!
Wandering through Paris in the game, kinda recognising the places and characters and references, was unlike playing any other game I've played. I mean, OF COURSE, I knew who killed Marat! Hell I was watching a documentary the other day and that 'wait a minute -That's the Jacobin club!' and sure enough...

Truly, it was eye poppingly beautiful, I loved Arno as a character, loved the Helix missions for a change of pace, enjoyed reading the descriptions of the people and places and I fell in love with digital Paris as much as anyone would the real thing.

I honestly think Unity deserves a 'Mission Accomplished'.

We are always our own worst critics and I'm sure from the inside you are all doing the always necessary job of what could be done differently next time, however I thought you needed to hear from outside of the 'Internet WAAAHH zone' which is such an echo chamber that you might have been convince that unity wasn't great. It was. It was fun enough that I spent 84 odd hours there, and missed the streets of Paris when it was over.

I work in a global multi-disciplinary for profit business myself, and know how people who have never worked in such a business to imagine that being of such a size means that of course you can achieve 'ALL the things!'. And then you get promoted into control of all the things and you realise it's not that easy to co-ordinate them all, especially by a business critical date.

So chin up! Don't pay too much attention to the WAAH zone because I for one am looking forward to exploring London in October more than ever.

PS Can I please have rogue on PS4, when you have a free moment ;)

LOL this explains everything. If you were a fan starting from at least AC2 or 3 you definitely would understand the backlash of unity. Unity dissed the fan base, You obviously aren't into the story, nor do you know what's going on. The main reason why the game bombed was because the game basically tricked us all. It didn't progress the long running story what so ever, nor did it follow up on rogues ending leading into it. The story was basically a side story that we paid full price for lol. Last but not least it had twice as many bugs as AC3(that game had a tone of bugs). It also didn't change much either. You haven't played the 50 AC games that were released so things seem fresh to you. Go back and play the old games and you will look at unity just like the rest of us. It's almost like a whole new staff who knew nothing about the series stepped in and made unity.

Megas_Doux
05-13-2015, 03:40 PM
LOL this explains everything. If you were a fan starting from at least AC2 or 3 you definitely would understand the backlash of unity. Unity dissed the fan base, You obviously aren't into the story, nor do you know what's going on. The main reason why the game bombed was because the game basically tricked us all. It didn't progress the long running story what so ever, nor did it follow up on rogues ending leading into it. The story was basically a side story that we paid full price for lol. Last but not least it had twice as many bugs as AC3(that game had a tone of bugs). It also didn't change much either. You haven't played the 50 AC games that were released so things seem fresh to you. Go back and play the old games and you will look at unity just like the rest of us. It's almost like a whole new staff who knew nothing about the series stepped in and made unity.

Iīve been a fan since AC I and yet I still think what I think.

pacmanate
05-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Well tomato, tomato I guess.

But I did just make an entirely positive post evincing my support for something, from which you managed to find something to disagree with in under 10 minutes

So maybe you kinda supported my point.

You just said everyone who dislikes Unity is a cry baby. I supported nothing other than you think only your opinion is right and you look down at everyone else who disagrees