PDA

View Full Version : AC Syndicate Pre-Launch Feedback/Concerns Thread (For the Developers)

Fatal-Feit
05-12-2015, 06:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLG_q54eowY

I don't know if we're allowed to discuss Syndicate stuff outside of other threads (sorry in advance), but I want to make this one primarily focused on analyzing and discussing the alpha demo. Feel free to add, edit, dispute, etc, but please stay on topic. And the least pessimistic the better, thanks.

Okay, so here's my analysis. This is after my 3rd rewind. Firstly, right off the bat, I have to say I LOVE this demo. It perfectly demonstrates the new mechanics and features while maintaining our expectations by not setting up a perfect scenario garb w/ animations/graphics that are usually never achieved in the shipped product. You can tell this is the actual game in progress, I mean, the textures are pretty poor, lighting/shadows are non-existent for some character models and environments, and draw distance is terrible, and there are some noticeable glitchy animations here and there. Basically, graphics aren't that good, the game certainly needs to be polished, but we're able to get the gist of what the developers want to achieve and deliver while maintaining hype. It's good!

Anyway, onto the core gameplay, there are a lot of things to discuss. This is taken directly from notes and no proper order.

ALSO NOTE: YES, I AM AWARE THIS IS ALPHA

* Many of the animations (mostly navigation/parkour) are borrowed heavily from Unity, such as the Phantom Blade aiming for the hallucinogenic darts/etc, but that's expected since this game is definitely a refined version of Unity. You can see it in the civilians/AI too. Most of the Animus sounds are also from Unity, but they are most definitely placeholders. There are plenty of minor animation differences on Jacob, though, like 3:34-3:35. Pretty much what Edward was to Connor.

* Eagle Vision seems to have been altered in some way, but I haven't noticed any considerable difference. It's about identical to Unity's w/ the only major change being the looks. Literally.

* Top hats! Whether this is optional/customized or not, we don't know, but this is a neat little gimmick for the setting. Like w/ BF/RO, Jacob dons his Assassin hood in stealth mode. AND IT'S BY A PUSH OF A BUTTON. WE DID IT GUYS, WOO!

* Whistling is back and you can use it w/o being in cover (although, I believe it's only usable in stealth mode). It seems to function like in AC3, in which the target doesn't hesitate and look around like in BF, he just instantly goes to investigate.

* Speaking of cover, it seems to be completely absent. I believe the devs removed it to improve gameplay (it didn't function too well in Unity) entirely. From the looks of it, cover kills are still in the game, and can be achieved by leaning against any hide spots in stealth mode.

* When you perform an assassination when the target detects you, a flash appears.

[will continue editing - just posting because yeah]

pacmanate
05-12-2015, 06:53 PM
I've noticed that the hand to hand combat is wayyy to fast animation wise. It looks stupid.

Xstantin
05-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Nice idea. Hope it doesn't get buried into the hype thread

VoXngola
05-12-2015, 06:58 PM
It doesn't have ambient music.
Just watch from 8:20 to 9:45...
Music then triggers when you are in a mission, just like in Unity and AC3.

m4r-k7
05-12-2015, 07:04 PM
I really hope you are right about the animations being placeholders because the thing I love about being a new assassin is the new animations. The parkour looks like it still has that clunky feel to it and enemies still get massively highlighted etc

I like the changes, but I hate almost everything related to Unity in that demo.

Fatal-Feit
05-12-2015, 07:13 PM
Ugh, damn it. Thread was moved. It could have been awesome. :(

pacmanate
05-12-2015, 07:25 PM
I hope this doesn't get merged with the General Discussion as I want this thread to be used to give developers feedback, rather than us coming up with theories and talking about random things.

Instead this thread will be used to highlight anything you don't like so far and hope to be tweaked for release.

My first concern is the lighting system, like AC Unity it seems to be overpowering, buildings and floors seem to lose their textures and be washed out due to the intensity.
My second concern is the fist fighting. It looks cartoonish, it looks out of place. The reason being is that the animation speed is too fast, damn fast.

What about you guys?

misterB2001
05-12-2015, 07:37 PM
First impression...meh.

I hate, hate, hate the way they've messed with Eagle vision. Seeing people out of sight and through walls/floors etc. is so immersion breaking.

It felt very much like AC: Unity London DLC.

I'll wait to see if there's any decent modern day content, but I fear this is where me and the series finally fall out of love. :(

Hans684
05-12-2015, 07:41 PM
I've lost most interest already, it's writer being the nail in the coffin.

robert_w88
05-12-2015, 07:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLG_q54eowY

ALSO NOTE: YES, I AM AWARE THIS IS ALPHA

Can we address this please, that gameplay reveal plays exactly like Unity did, so forget its alpha, this is the sort of buggy clunky gameplay we are custom too with Ubisoft

Sushiglutton
05-12-2015, 07:55 PM
The good:

1) Two playable characters with different skills is a great new feature!
2) Seems like there can be some enjoyable banter between the two protagonists.
3) Throwing knives are cool and it's good you can use the enviroment more.
4) Like that Jacob normally is wearing a hat and not a hood. A hood would look too strange as a standard outfit.
5) The curved knife was very cool and I'm looking forward to more info about the cane.

The bad:

1) I don't understand making melee combat such a large focus. Combat is AC's weakest pillar imo and what they have shown thus far does not look good imo. It looks like you are just spamming attacks and every now and then make a stun or block kind of move. Also fighting alongside allies is generally annoying.

2) Grappling hook is a bit meh. I think Ubi should have put all energy into improving parkour and making it more exciting by for example adding some trick moves. Zipping from building to building will make you lose the connection to the world which is so important for AC imo. Parkour is the core feature of AC and the new gadget is making it less relevant.

3) Soft cover looks very janky imo. Hopefully it can be tweaked. Also annoying detection beeps when the player has clearly tapped the assassination button from hiding. (Happens a couple of times throughout the demo). Should be easy to program so that once you started the assassination (tapped square) the enemy you are about to kill can't detect you. Reason being that the detection beep takes away from the satisfaction of performing the kill.

4) London looked kind of sleepy. I dunno, people didn't do much. Felt pretty empty at spots.

5) I'm no fan of the entire taking-over-territory gimmick tbh. I prefer the assassins to work much more in the dark. It's a bit silly if these two will control all of London towards the end.

Sorrosyss
05-12-2015, 08:51 PM
My initial thoughts;

The Good

1) Love Evie, great voice actress, and she has a really nice outfit.
2) Also good to see the characters in dark colours, fits the tone.
3) Happy to see less crowds than Unity.
4) No Naval. Thankfully.
5) British accents! Was fearing french or something silly.
6) London looks pretty much what you would expect.

The Bad

1. I really dislike the stealth animation. I know it's realistic, but his crouched walking was really distracting. If anything, walking around like that would attract even more attention!
2. Not a fan of the top hat. Always loved the hoods, sorry. Realism be damned!
3. No mention or gameplay of playable Evie. Guess she really does have a small playable part if at all.
4. No mention of modern day, first civilisation.
5. The fighting looks far too fast to me, to a comical level. Seems to lack any impact.
6. The carriages look really undriveable, I can see them being a pain to control.
7. Story didn't really grab me - but hard to comment from this small teaser really.
8. Some performance hitching, but again, pre-alpha. Still worrying to see though.

Still, more interested in this than when I saw Unity though. So that's something I suppose. :)

pacmanate
05-12-2015, 08:56 PM
My initial thoughts;

The Bad

4. No mention of modern day, first civilisation.
5. The fighting looks far too fast to me, to a comical level. Seems to lack any impact.
6. The carriages look really undriveable, I can see them being a pain to control.

First Civ and MD are never talked about in reveals. However I can confirm that the MD follows on from AC Unity's. Also a Day/Night cycle is back.
I agree the fighting looks really out of place.
Carriages also make me a bit scared but we wont know until we play. I had a feeling the guy driving the carriage just sucked.

LoyalACFan
05-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Animations animations animations animations.

Where to begin. The ones that aren't copied wholesale from Unity (and that's a damn lot of them) look terrible, frankly. The combat is the silliest and cartooniest it's ever been outside of Ezio's ridiculous sword kills in Revelations, and there seem to be very few of them to boot. That one where Jacob pulls them down and knees them in the face (and they go flying for a stupid distance) is seen at least twice in under two minutes. If NOTHING else is fixed before release, this should be the very top priority IMO.

Combat itself looks pretty dry too, honestly, it seemed like he was just spamming unblockable attacks until he won. Stealth is the same as Unity's, which isn't bad if the animations(!) and AI are changed to be more original/realistic, respectively. Carriage chases look like they need some balancing, but in all likelihood I won't be using them much so whatever.

On the positive side, the atmosphere looks wonderful as always, you guys really have some of the top people in the industry for city-building.

GunnarGunderson
05-12-2015, 09:16 PM
I don't really like how revolvers on enemies hang from their waists like the flintlocks of Unity.

How about actual holsters that are worn on their hips

Zafar1981
05-12-2015, 09:36 PM
TBH when it was first leaked back in December my expectation goes down but now I have seen the gameplay (revolver, copy paste animations of Unity, no Ambient music and cartoonist fight) my expectation goes 6 feet under.

Good by Assassin's Creed we had good time, see you again when you prove yourself worthy enough like The Witcher 3 and GTA 5.

SixKeys
05-12-2015, 09:44 PM
Combat itself looks pretty dry too, honestly, it seemed like he was just spamming unblockable attacks until he won. Stealth is the same as Unity's, which isn't bad if the animations(!) and AI are changed to be more original/realistic, respectively. Carriage chases look like they need some balancing, but in all likelihood I won't be using them much so whatever.

Have to agree with this. They kept talking about how they wanted combat to be faster and more intense, but honestly, watching it just made me miss ACB. Not how ridiculously easy it was, but the fluidity and badassedness of it. You felt strong but also fast as Ezio in that game, automatically switching between weapons for cool finishing moves (like the sword/hidden gun combos). Jacob's fighting lacks, for lack of a better word, finesse. He's meant to be brutal, yes, but there's room for creativity even with brutal hand-to-hand animations, like in the Batman games. Jacob's moves look very basic and stiff. Not the sort of quality animation I've come to expect from Ubisoft.

rob1990312
05-12-2015, 09:54 PM
First Civ and MD are never talked about in reveals. However I can confirm that the MD follows on from AC Unity's. Also a Day/Night cycle is back.
I agree the fighting looks really out of place.
Carriages also make me a bit scared but we wont know until we play. I had a feeling the guy driving the carriage just sucked.

how can you confirm anything about the md, what do u know?

Perk89
05-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Eagle Vision absolutely needs to STOP changing every game. Don't understand the complaint. (It looked different, not to mention better, in the demo anyways)

pacmanate
05-12-2015, 10:01 PM
how can you confirm anything about the md, what do u know?

gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/05/12/five-things-to-know-about-assassins-creed-syndicate-game-informer.aspx

and

"Yes, we are following in the footsteps of Unity, and we’ll be talking more throughout the summer about exactly what we are doing with the present-day storyline."
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/05/12/interview-the-finer-points-of-assassins-creed-syndicate.aspx

LoyalACFan
05-12-2015, 10:03 PM
Eagle Vision absolutely needs to STOP changing every game. Don't understand the complaint. (It looked different, not to mention better, in the demo anyways)

Honestly I was okay with how it worked in Unity except the cooldown. It was pointless, since the things you saw in Eagle Vision remained illuminated until the meter was fully recharged anyway. Having a cooldown meter didn't add challenge or strategic foresight, it was just an annoyance, really, especially when trying to solve Nostradamus puzzles or murder mysteries.

JustPlainQuirky
05-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Biggest concern I have heard is that the modern day is confirmed to be the same as Unity.

I mean, I'm not buying the game regardless but c'mon that was one of the biggest complaints.

Megas_Doux
05-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Biggest concern I have heard is that the modern day is confirmed to be the same as Unity.

I mean, I'm not buying the game regardless but c'mon that was one of the biggest complaints.

Modern day has always been pretty average, to say the least.

This footage made want to play Unity again. The more watch it, the least I like it.............

London looks brown and washed out. They really need to improve its atmosphere.
Combat feels terrible and pretty one man "army-ish"
The outfit is awful.
At least the carriages are cool.

dxsxhxcx
05-12-2015, 10:11 PM
I can't even begin to describe how awful this gameplay trailer was...

rob1990312
05-12-2015, 10:12 PM
gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/05/12/five-things-to-know-about-assassins-creed-syndicate-game-informer.aspx

and

"Yes, we are following in the footsteps of Unity, and we’ll be talking more throughout the summer about exactly what we are doing with the present-day storyline."
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/05/12/interview-the-finer-points-of-assassins-creed-syndicate.aspx

that part about the md really annoys me, why would they follow on from unitys md when it was bloody terrible, pointless and nearly non existance

EmptyCrustacean
05-12-2015, 10:13 PM
I've lost most interest already, it's writer being the nail in the coffin.

Who is the writer?

Things I liked:

- A born and raised Assassin! No more origin stories! Thank goodness!!!
- Traffic system. It's like GTA with carriages. Basically, it's Red Dead Redemption. Awesome.
- Every weapon is hidden. It makes sense for the time period that you can no longer walk with exposed weapons (unless your police), also means there will be more emphasis on stealth.
- throwing knives, I've missed you.
- So much borrows from Brotherhood, my fave AC game. Liberation, ally help, horses in cities. Yay!
- London looks very good (although too dark and gritty, needs some levity).
- Whistling. Thankfully the ridiculous cherry bombs are out.

Things I disliked:

- No mention of modern day. Very, very worried.
- graphics aren't quite up to scratch.
- 'Jacob' aka Ezio protype number 500 *rolls eyes*
- the main outfit is hideous.
- Token female sibling. Ubisoft's sexist approach to women is really awful.
- Very little coverage on story or the main characters - very similar to how they tried to hide Arno and we all know how that turned out.
- Too much emphasis on gangs not enough emphasis on the Assassin v Templar conflict. Feels like red coats versus blue coats all over again.
- The grappler - sorry - I mean "rope lancher". We're already Spider-Man parkouring all over the place. We don't need to be Batman too. this isn't Arkham.
- Because Unity featured English accents hearing English accents in Syndicate has no value. As a Londoner I should be hyped hearing my city. But then I realise I've heard it before.

JustPlainQuirky
05-12-2015, 10:14 PM
Even though I'm not a feminist, the fact that Evie isn't getting as much coverage as Jacob is a bit concerning. If they are twins with equal importance, why is Jacob the main focus on the cover and trailers?

Also gameplay looks same-y.

Not digging jacob so far but the sideburns compensate for it 10000%.

I think after today I'm just going to ignore all gameplay and trailers and wait until full release and then I'll watch it. I've lost interest in the direction the franchise is going so I'm not going to keep up with something just to be disappointed. It's not necessarily a bad direction the franchise is going, but it's not the reason I took the path in the first place.

For now I'm sticking with FNaF.

Modern day has always been pretty average, to say the least.

Brotherhood was Modern Day at it's strongest, sadly.

pacmanate
05-12-2015, 10:20 PM
Evie not getting as much coverage as Jacob isn't concerning when Jacob is hardly getting any coverage and its more about the setting, mechanics etc.

Xstantin
05-12-2015, 10:22 PM
^ I'd wait for some night/rain footage at least :) also we didn't really see how different boroughs are

rob1990312
05-12-2015, 10:24 PM
any word on who the creative director is or who the main writer is

Megas_Doux
05-12-2015, 10:28 PM

Jeffrey Yohalem is the writer, which doesn´t excite me, being honest.

Who is the writer?

- London looks very good (although too dark and gritty, needs some levity).

I didn´t even enjoy the city!!!!

Granted Paris is way more beautiful than London to begin with. But even then, I´m NOT liking its portrayal so far.....

Democrito_71
05-12-2015, 10:31 PM
The things I'm concerned after watching the gameplay walkthrough, is that Ubi are reusing Arnos walking/running/crawling animations into Jacob.

I expected at first Jacob would have his own walking/running/crawling animations instead of reusing Arnos animations. This is actually similiar how Ubi reused Altairs walking/running animations into Ezio and when we finally got to play as a Connor after playing Ezio from 2009-2011, I was amazed that he felt like a all new character just because of his own set of walking/running animations.

I love these little details for each main character and I loved that Edwards walking/running animations were different than Connors but that Ubi are literally reusing Arnos walking/running/crawling animations into Jacob is just lazy imo. Give Jacob his own set of walking/running/crawling animations to make him feel like an all new character(animation wise) and so his own movements adds to his personality.

And make him crawl faster than he does in the gameplay walkthrough so he can sneak around faster if he's getting detected and need to hide from enemies sight fast to prevent him and Evie to get detected without the need of running away from them.

The combat look more spectacular and more fun than the combat system in Unity although it looks a bit easer so I hope I'm proven wrong when I play it. And the combat looks a bit clunky, so smooth the animations in hand to hand combat and make it less fast paced so Jacob and Evie aren't reusing the same combat animation on the same enemy.

And the soundtrack sound more true to the time period compared to Unitys sci fi/french classical music mix, which I'm very happy to hear! Although I think the game should have an ambient soundtrack. Not like the pompous ambient soundtracks previous titles but the more short and noticeable ambient soundtrack like in Red Dead Redemption where the ambient soundtrack were short enough to give the players a good mood of it's cowboy era. So I think AC Syndicate could win a lot on having several short ambient soundtracks to give us players a good mood of the Victorian era instead of either having big pompous ambient soundtracks like in the past or having none at all.

Helforsite
05-12-2015, 10:34 PM
This thread seems kind of pointless at the moment, because everybody is contradicting the post before.

EmptyCrustacean
05-12-2015, 10:35 PM
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2]The things I'm concerned after watching the gameplay walkthrough, is that Ubi are reusing Arnos walking/running/crawling animations into Jacob.

I expected at first Jacob would have his own walking/running/crawling animations instead of reusing Arnos animations. This is actually similiar how Ubi reused Altairs walking/running animations into Ezio and when we finally got to play as a Connor after playing Ezio from 2009-2011, I was amazed that he felt like a all new character just because of his own set of walking/running animations.

I love these little details for each main character and I loved that Edwards walking/running animations were different than Connors but that Ubi are literally reusing Arnos walking/running/crawling animations into Jacob is just lazy imo. Give Jacob his own set of walking/running/crawling animations to make him feel like an all new character(animation wise) and so his own movements adds to his personality.

Yeah, I noticed that too but I gave it a pass as I liked Arno's walk. but I see what you're saying about it giving the protagonist more personality and uniqueness.

VoXngola
05-12-2015, 10:51 PM

Corey May is narrative director, Jeffrey Yohalem the lead writer.
Creative Director is Marc Alexis Cote, he was CD of TOKW.

Megas_Doux
05-12-2015, 10:55 PM
Corey May is narrative director, Jeffrey Yohalem the lead writer.
Creative Director is Marc Alexis Cote, he was CD of TOKW.

Corey may??????

My hype for this game died even more....

VoXngola
05-12-2015, 11:09 PM
Corey may??????

:(

Shahkulu101
05-13-2015, 01:16 AM
Corey may??????

Corey May is the Godfather of the series.

How very dare you. :nonchalance:

rob1990312
05-13-2015, 01:24 AM
Corey May is the Godfather of the series.

How very dare you. :nonchalance:

patrice desilets is the godfather of the series

Shahkulu101
05-13-2015, 01:45 AM

Well Corey essentially created the lore, he's the original writer.

You don't need to brown-nose Patrice for everything.

I-Like-Pie45
05-13-2015, 01:47 AM
I'm a bear

Our noses are naturally brown

Subject J80
05-13-2015, 02:16 AM
The stench of negativity in here. It stinks.

Mr.Black24
05-13-2015, 02:18 AM
Hey! Quick question yall! Would a podcast episode dedicated to this and the release be a good one? I would like to go with this!

BATISTABUS
05-13-2015, 02:58 AM
I'll start this off with saying I haven't played Unity. I'll also start this off by apologizing in advance.

I thought this demo was the most disappointing AC gameplay demo I have ever seen. Showing off gang territories? Seriously? This is a feature we've had since AC: Brotherhood, and the mechanic doesn't seem to have been made ANY different. I get that the game is called Syndicate so this should be a main feature of the game, but then I have the expectation that it will be completely revamped. Aside from that, the entire script of this mission looked terribly generic and uninteresting both in terms of gameplay and story.

I'm not sure what the developers' obsession with speed is all about. This isn't Sonic the Hedgehog; you don't need to constantly increase the speed of battles and free-running with every installment. I understand that these buildings are built to a more realistic scale and it might be harder to climb them, but once you make parkour so fast that you don't even need to think about it, what's the point? I'd rather these things be fun than fast. I know this is pre-Alpha footage, but combat looks so jagged and aesthetically displeasing.

And what the hell was up with the instant zipline device? I can't imagine something like that existing nowadays, and if it did it certainly couldn't fit on your wrist. I know that physics and technology are often stretched in AC, but this is so blatantly not something that could be possible at the time. Unless this is some First Civ tech, I just can't help but laugh.

Oh, and if berserk darts weren't already the most overpowered and stupid piece of AC equipment, let's make it a ranged bomb now.

As for the setting, another British location? Another charismatic Assassin? Another white guy? Can we please mix it up a bit? And why do we keep getting closer to the present with every installment except for AC4 (which only went back a generation)? In game, Evie seems to be featured as an extremely important character, but she's hardly even featured on the box art. I won't speak in depth about rumors posted to certain gaming sites, but that just makes things seem even more strange.

I like the "Gangs of New York" vibe. I do think the setting is cool, even though I would have much preferred others. I think the music sounds great. The introduction of carriages is cool. I like that there's an Indian(?) man present as part of the group. I like the design of the robes. The environments look great. There are definitely some good ideas here, but I can't help but think this game will feel incredibly generic as an AC title. I'm excited to hear that Corey May might be writing the story(?), but if the game is a total dud otherwise, I might have to skip this one. I really hate to be the guy that craps on a new game before we know anything about it, but I could not be less impressed.

rprkjj
05-13-2015, 03:10 AM
While my initial excitement isn't close to when Unity was announced, my excitement was similar for Black Flag coming off the heels of AC3 which is the AC game I was most excited for. And AC4 is tied with Unity as my favorite AC game. I think that's just natural with these more iterative entries; what I have to look out for is the refinement that AC4 brought AC3's mechanics and ideas in this game but with Unity.

Things that look promising:
-Carriage are a nice touch and I'm glad we'll be able to ride them. They'll also be usable as hiding spots which is a nice throwback to AC3's moving haystacks which disappeared. Only now we can drive them ourselves, a dynamic that will be interesting to see. And trains look great as well.
-Brawling. The animations look very iffy, but I like the quicker and more brutal takedowns, apart from it being a nice change of pace.
-Return of hideouts. While these are in pretty much every Ubi game now, I felt they were missing in Unity. Plundering plantations and forts in AC4 and 3 were some of the most fun activities in the game.
-Eagle Pulse looks better... ? Would've preferred they did something different this time, but the lack of effects and more cleaner colors are a god send.
-That scene at the end of the cutscene where Henry puts his hand on the cup to block Clara was funny.
-WHISTLING.
-Seems there is no more cover, and "cover" kills are contextual actions when an enemy is around the corner from you. I assume it will work the same standing up. Not sure how I feel about this, it seems odd at least.
-Thank god we can button toggle hoods now. Not really feeling the hat.
-Throwing knives. I just think this is neat.

Not so promising:
-London looks very brown and green. Not really feeling it.
-Why does our gang look like a St. Patty's day parade? Minor but still.
-Rope launcher is cool but it feels a bit like out moding climbing. I don't like that. The zipline feature is cool though.
-The outfit looks decent. Nothing great but not bad.
-Are people seriously calling Jacob Ezio 2.0? This again? It's called for with Arno but Jacob seems more like Edward than anyone. What with the drinking and rowdiness. And our assassin is "brash" again. Neato. :rolleyes:
-Recycled animations. This has never been a problem for the more iterative titles, there's no reason Jacob should do almost everything exactly like Arno. Hopefully they're placeholders; it's pre-alpha after all.
-Evie is... there. Not really sure what to think of her. Reminds me of Altair, so hopefully we'll see some more depth in her when we play the game.

Noticed at first that the game looked really subpar to Unity. Then I realized I was thinking of Unity's demo and that it looks a lot like Unity in game. Still good looking overall, but I'm glad Ubi is being honest with us, I think.

Wolfmeister1010
05-13-2015, 03:22 AM
I see that light still like to penetrate past the protagonists's hat/hood..BIG immersion breaker there.

But at least they fixed the audio sync issues with low profile assassinations.

Meanwhile, I hope that this is actually pre-alpha. Because as of now, in terms of animations, world density, textures, lighting, popin, draw distance, blood effects, and UI, I am incredibly unimpressed.

I appreciate that video where they owned up to Unity's mistakes. But anyone can say words..they can start fulfilling their promise of "wanting to be just like us" as gamers by contemplating and considering this thread.

MaceoniK
05-13-2015, 03:26 AM
Here's a few things I noticed while watching the gameplay walkthrough...

Cover system wasn't used (has it been completely abandoned?).

Looks like there's hardly any building interiors (one of the thing's Unity did brilliantly).

Way to many reused animations from Unity (at least create a unique walk and run animation for the new character).

Weird white bits in the blood spatter (looks terrible).

The big guy Jacob fights about 6 mins into the walkthrough takes 14 full-blown hits, gets shot at point blank range and gets slashed with a knife before eventually being finished off by getting his arm broken and thrown to the floor. (Really!?!).

Combat was pure button mashing, didn't show any blocking, parrying, dodging, strafing, grabbing, disarming, breaking defence, countering, double combat kills, dynamic environment kills (all these things have been in past AC's). I just hope the combat system is ALOT deeper than what was shown in this video.

Combat animations looked too fast, jerky and cartoonist at times.

I imagine the hat to hood transition when entering stealth mode will get a bit annoying, as I like to switch from one to the other quite frequently.

The horse and carriage looks kinda hard to control.

London looks a bit empty and boring. (not pedestrian wise, just in general detail)

Here's a few questions I have after watching the gameplay walkthrough...

Can you pick up bodies?

Can you pick up weapons?

Can you manually enter in and out of combat? (like in AC 1, 2, B and Rev)

Can you take out your weapon without the game automatically putting it back after a bit?

Can you ride on a horses back?

Can you assassinate with different weapons when NOT in combat?

Can you tackle enemies from above?

There's more but this is turning out longer than expected, so I'll leave it at that.

Wolfmeister1010
05-13-2015, 03:31 AM
The funny thing is that in ANY OTHER pre alpha game reveal, literally everyone would understand that its pre alpha so things will obviously improve. But we have come to expect a certain level of mediocrity from Ubisoft in terms of PR and..well..quality, so nobody is exactly expecting much of a difference. People are not going to trust you guys anymore, ubisoft, until we actually get our hands on the game. No matter how big you make the PRE ALPHA FOOTAGE label in the footage.

Just find that pretty funny.

rain89cp
05-13-2015, 04:30 AM
Yes, amazing, same old boring European setting over and over.
Brass knuckles ? Grappling hook ? Really ....?
What's with the awkward looking animations and cover system ?
Assasin's Creed getting worse and worse every single year, ever since AC:B, same old settings with the same old architecture, same old accents, bravvoo...

BATISTABUS
05-13-2015, 05:05 AM
The funny thing is that in ANY OTHER pre alpha game reveal, literally everyone would understand that its pre alpha so things will obviously improve. But we have come to expect a certain level of mediocrity from Ubisoft in terms of PR and..well..quality, so nobody is exactly expecting much of a difference. People are not going to trust you guys anymore, ubisoft, until we actually get our hands on the game. No matter how big you make the PRE ALPHA FOOTAGE label in the footage.

Just find that pretty funny.
This sooooooooooo much. That definitely crossed my mind the firs time I watched it.

Maybe push this one back a few months, guys? We promise, it's okay.

Im2aKillerfish
05-13-2015, 06:59 AM
I know I'm going to like the grappling hook. Not necessary when climbing, but the ability to create Ziplines when I want sounds good.

Not much of Evie was shown yet, which doesn't look very promising. But, these were the first bits of info about the game, so later trailers/info might be all about Evie. Who knows, maybe Evie is really the main protagonist.

The animations... They are either reused or silly-looking. It's Pre-alpha though, so I believe they will be refined later.

Whistling is back! Yes!

Can't really say anything about the city. I think it looked OK. Pretty much unity with wider roads, and less people.

The story sounds boring. If it's only about gang warfare, it's going to suck. I really hope there's something going on the background, and that modern day is actually there.

EmptyCrustacean
05-13-2015, 07:32 PM

yes. I miss him :(

Altair1789
05-13-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm hoping the atmosphere will change DRASTICALLY from that gameplay trailer. It looks exactly like Unity. It's not that Unity was boring, it's that I wanted something new. What the leaked screenshots showed us was really refreshing. I hope the game looks something like that. Not sure we've seen enough of "that" to say it was different though. I do miss that outfit though, the current outfit looks pretty bland

m4r-k7
05-13-2015, 08:31 PM
I do miss that outfit though, the current outfit looks pretty bland

I hated the old outfit due to the shoulder pads and it looked too similar to Edwards.

I like Jacobs as it generally looks like an outfit someone would wear. His trench coat has some cool textures and it goes well with the top hat :)

Altair1789
05-13-2015, 08:38 PM
I hated the old outfit due to the shoulder pads and it looked too similar to Edwards.

I like Jacobs as it generally looks like an outfit someone would wear. His trench coat has some cool textures and it goes well with the top hat :)

Yea, I guess this current one looks nothing like an assassin outfit. I know we're at a pretty modern era, and walking around with 1000 belts and a heavy outfit is weird, but I don't really care for the realism. It looks like they were aiming for normal bystander but also wanted to put in a little assassin but they went too far from both to make it a fitting mix

m4r-k7
05-13-2015, 08:46 PM
Yea, I guess this current one looks nothing like an assassin outfit. I know we're at a pretty modern era, and walking around with 1000 belts and a heavy outfit is weird, but I don't really care for the realism. It looks like they were aiming for normal bystander but also wanted to put in a little assassin but they went too far from both to make it a fitting mix

I am sure you will be able to customize him if you want :) Normally I would say he doesn't look "assassiny enough" but its a much more modern era than we are used to just like Desmond didn't look like an Assassin in the present day.

sharpblade1508
05-13-2015, 11:07 PM
I'm going to start by saying I'm excited for this but a few things I should mention.

The Good:

1. Love the idea of two protagonists, especially the brother sister combo (reminds me of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch from Avengers)

2. Like the idea of more concealed/subtle weapons

3. Carriages, seems like a cool idea if executed well

The Bad:

1. Looks pretty similar to Unity at the moment, but I'm sure there will be some changes

2. This will be a little lengthier, I am really not liking the fact that you have to go into stealth mode to wear the hood, you should map it to a button to toggle between the top hat and hood without having to enter stealth mode, I know not all of the buttons are used so I know it's possible, make it a toggle on the d pad or clicking on right stick (or playstation equivalent), something to that effect ( I don't want to have to be crouching to have that iconic assassin look, I felt physically uncomfortable knowing we have to use stealth mode to wear the hood) the hood has become something of a staple in the series and I wish we could just wear it and walk around normally. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, there is a thread on gamefaqs about not liking this. Additionally I'm pretty sure we have been asking for a controllable hood for several games now, it really frustrated people in AC3 to the point where a patch had to be made to bring it back at the end of the game. Plus I first had an issue with this in Black Flag where Edward would seemingly take the hood off at every opportunity. It's iconic to the assassin look and wearing it whenever you want without sacrificing the ability to walk around normally should be an option, realism aside.

I thank anyone (especially anyone from Ubisoft) who took the time to read all that.

MaceoniK
05-13-2015, 11:29 PM
I am really not liking the fact that you have to go into stealth mode to wear the hood, you should map it to a button to toggle between the top hat and hood without having to enter stealth mode, I know not all of the buttons are used so I know it's possible, make it a toggle on the d pad or clicking on right stick (or playstation equivalent)

They should replace the centre camera button (usually clicking right or left thumbstick) with toggle hood on/off, I'm pretty sure no one uses centre camera.

Locopells
05-14-2015, 12:18 AM
*raises hand*

Fatal-Feit
05-14-2015, 12:27 AM
They should replace the centre camera button (usually clicking right or left thumbstick) with toggle hood on/off, I'm pretty sure no one uses centre camera.

As a matter of fact, I use it almost all the time in games. It's very handy, especially w/ games that have poor camera (especially recent ACs). I'd rather keep it over the hood on/off toggle. Or, instead, how about pressing and holding the left analog toggles on/off hood. That way we can keep both.

MaceoniK
05-14-2015, 12:56 AM
As a matter of fact, I use it almost all the time in games. It's very handy, especially w/ games that have poor camera (especially recent ACs). I'd rather keep it over the hood on/off toggle. Or, instead, how about pressing and holding the left analog toggles on/off hood. That way we can keep both.

Ok, guess I was wrong about no one ever using centre camera, but like you suggested with holding left stick, there's plenty of button options to map it to... Seems like the developers have been trying to simplify the entire control scheme ever since the ezio games, when imo they should of made it more complex to accommodate more actions and mechanics. for instance, ever since AC3 whenever you got detected close to an enemy the game automatically switches in to combat stance, when I prefer the way the old games handled it, by pressing LT to enter in and out of combat.

Civona
05-14-2015, 01:16 AM
These games are already really complicated, any streamlining they can manage that doesn't hurt the experience is good.

dunno if anyone has mentioned this yet, but my main feedback from the demo is that it would probably be good if NPCs were more proactive about getting out of the way of carriages, perhaps running inside buildings to avoid collision? I'm not sure if there will be enough enterable buildings, but they could always just play an animation where they open and go through a fake door, even if that just despawns them.

The main problem with horses in cities has always been how easy it is to knock the crowd over, and it's weirder that they don't get hurt when it's a huge carriage. Another possible solution would be to make the collision with side-walks "stickier", making it harder to accidentally go over the curb unless you grind against it for a bit.

MaceoniK
05-14-2015, 01:32 AM
These games are already really complicated, any streamlining they can manage that doesn't hurt the experience is good.

I have to completely disagree, AC games have become way to simple and automated, all it does is take full control away from the player and ultimately hurt the experience... imo

sharpblade1508
05-14-2015, 05:55 AM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone from Ubisoft actually read these forums? ( I think I heard once that they do). Anyway it would be really great for the fans if they read these so that they can see our feedback/concerns (i.e. the issue with toggling the hood that we've been talking about) and maybe implement stuff like that into the game before it's released.

Lonnie_Jackson
05-14-2015, 06:28 AM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone from Ubisoft actually read these forums? ( I think I heard once that they do). Anyway it would be really great for the fans if they read these so that they can see our feedback/concerns (i.e. the issue with toggling the hood that we've been talking about) and maybe implement stuff like that into the game before it's released.

They said they do during the video on the announcement for syndicate. I hope they do give a toggle option for us.

LoyalACFan
05-14-2015, 06:29 AM

Yeah, the mods/comdevs read them and pass along feedback. Thing is, the games are usually already so far in development by the time we see them that our feedback is too late for the upcoming release.

That said, I can't even begin to stress how much the animations bother me. Both the fact that 100% of the movement ones are lifted from Arno, and the fact that the new fistfighting ones look really janky and rushed.

sharpblade1508
05-14-2015, 06:35 AM
Yeah, the mods/comdevs read them and pass along feedback. Thing is, the games are usually already so far in development by the time we see them that our feedback is too late for the upcoming release.

That said, I can't even begin to stress how much the animations bother me. Both the fact that 100% of the movement ones are lifted from Arno, and the fact that the new fistfighting ones look really janky and rushed.

You've got a point with how far in development they are, though I figure minor things like the hood toggle and some smoothing of animations could still be done. Something like mapping a toggle to a button I can't imagine would take more than a few hours or days at most for an experienced programmer, and I think some of your animation concerns will be dealt with as well. They probably are changing some already as I'm guessing that demo was just the most finished thing they could show at this point, I don't really expect that everything in it will be permanent for the finished product.

LordExtro
05-14-2015, 12:37 PM
It's just an Idea, but I would like to see a movement Animation with the Cane. I mean if he got one, why not use it for walking too? This would look freaking awesome.

m4r-k7
05-14-2015, 01:26 PM

This. This is my main gripe with the game. The parkour, running, assassination animations are all Arno's. I want unique movement and fighting styles for Jacob. I am praying that this was because it was pre-alpha and for the E3 build it will be updated with different and more polished animations. I mean I know Altair + Ezio shared the same animations and Connor + Edward shared some, but I didn't like the feel of the movement (apart from downward parkour) in Unity so I hope they change it.

Fatal-Feit
05-14-2015, 02:06 PM
^ Ehm, Jacob's fighting style looks pretty unique to me. Besides the jerky animations, he had some pretty sick moves w/ the bracers and I like his animation when he finishes a target with the knee to the face. It was cool and stylish.

The reused animations don't bother me that much since Arno's were pretty neutral and looked sick. It bothered me a whole lot more in the last saga since Connor is always hunched forward and that looked wrong on everyone else, most noticeably when they go into low to high-profile, swam, turned around, and stuff like that.

[EDIT] You can also still notice a bit of Connor in Unity, especially when blending, but it's not as severe.

m4r-k7
05-14-2015, 02:20 PM
The reused animations don't bother me that much since Arno's were pretty neutral and looked sick..

I disagree. I loved Arno's downward parkour animations but his parkour up animations just looked even more unrealistic than usual (I did however like that you could kinda horizontally wall run). Like he looks like a cat when he climbs up a long wall - it never used to look like that in AC 1 - R and even in AC 3 - Rogue. Also, movement felt really clunky and unsmooth most of the time in Unity like when you jumped from building to building it was often un smooth and it wasn't as accurate as it was in the past entries. I don't know, something about Unity's pacing in terms of animations felt off to me. Hopefully they polish things up for Syndicate like they did with AC 4.

BananaBlighter
05-14-2015, 05:58 PM
I don't mind that the animations are the same as Unity. In my opinion, the assassinations in Unity look really cool, but some need a bit of polishing. For example, the physics of the air assassinations is so dodgy, though I like to see that the grappling hook animation in the debut trailer was really nice. What especially needs perfecting is the ground based parkour (i.e. vaulting and stuff). Those animations were super clunky and badly done, though it's a good thing that I see less random obstacles around the street like those bench tables that were impossible to get over. The fighting animations at some points are so fast that it looks pretty glitchy. Then of course you have that weird animation when Jacob used his surroundings to take out that one guy (dropped those random objects on him). In general it pisses me off that the physics in the Unity engine is so messed up. I understand this is pre-alpha though so I expect a bunch of this to be polished by launch.

I get that they completely removed the cover because Unity's was dodgy, but I wish it were just like in the previous games but with more movement. When you go up against a wall in stealth mode you automatically press against it, but it's just not that magnetic. I want to be able to swap cover, shoot around corners easily, and something that wasn't in Unity, turn around corners when in cover. A lot of other games including Watch Dogs have good cover systems, you don't have to remove it and make everything feel less fluid. I'm also gonna assume that the cut to the cover kill animation isn't planned to be in the final game.

Lastly, the thing that makes me most sad, is the outfit. I guess they can't change it now, it's on the cover and stuff but I really hate Evie's hood. That design is dodgy, but Jacob's is OK seeing as it has a beak thingy at the front. Evie's is just...I don't think you should ever be able to see that much of an assassin's forehead. In general I think Evie's costume is way more like and assassin and so much cooler but the hood ruins it. A lot of this stuff I've complained about probably is already being improved or just isn't possible. This is supposed to be constructive criticism, don' think I hate the game. The debut trailer and walkthrough trailer didn't impress me much at first but the more I watch them the more I like this game. It's great that Ubi have been more honest with us and now can take some real feedback to improve on the game.

BananaBlighter
05-14-2015, 06:35 PM
I always assumed that all these things that were nice in previous games but weren't in Unity such as refined parkour animations and disarming, were absent because of time limitations. If this was the case, then there's no excuse for not having the ability to pick up weapons and bodies, and disarm enemies (especially now since there's a focus on brawling and I know you can find ways to not make it OP). I just feel that they knew they were running out of time and looked at what they should prioritise, for example rooftop parkour over ground parkour. Then again don't remove all those cool things in Unity like interiors and customization (starting to worry about that one as there is no longer coop so maybe no need for customizing what you wear). Speaking of interiors, I saw no open windows in the walkthrough, kinda worries me (Maybe we have to manually open windows ourselves?). Don't like the simplistic looking button mashing combat, and absence of cover system. Love Ubi and hope they aren't going to ruin the game I think has most potential. The fact that we are sat here giving constructive criticism shows how Ubi have done a good job being honest with us.

Sushiglutton
05-14-2015, 06:36 PM
This video has some good feedback imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQeYSBtdIb4

MaceoniK
05-14-2015, 07:01 PM
I disagree. I loved Arno's downward parkour animations but his parkour up animations just looked even more unrealistic than usual (I did however like that you could kinda horizontally wall run). Like he looks like a cat when he climbs up a long wall - it never used to look like that in AC 1 - R and even in AC 3 - Rogue. Also, movement felt really clunky and unsmooth most of the time in Unity like when you jumped from building to building it was often un smooth and it wasn't as accurate as it was in the past entries. I don't know, something about Unity's pacing in terms of animations felt off to me. Hopefully they polish things up for Syndicate like they did with AC 4.

I completely agree, but AC 4 wasn't that different to AC 3 (animation wise), AC 3 was always silky smooth and didn't need much improvement. Some of the main problems with Unity's parkour (besides the clunkey animation transitions) was the inability to side eject whenever you want and vertically jump. Also don't you think it's about time we have the ability to fire projectiles and bombs while hanging from a wall (like in splinter cell black list), Arno does do that thing were he hangs by one hand if you wait a few seconds.

BananaBlighter
05-14-2015, 07:16 PM
I completely agree, but AC 4 wasn't that different to AC 3 (animation wise), AC 3 was always silky smooth and didn't need much improvement. Some of the main problems with Unity's parkour (besides the clunkey animation transitions) was the inability to side eject whenever you want and vertically jump. Also don't you think it's about time we have the ability to fire projectiles and bombs while hanging from a wall (like in splinter cell black list), Arno does do that thing were he hangs by one hand if you wait a few seconds.

Oh yeah there have been so many times in Unity where I have wanted to chuck a bomb out of a haystack or through a window before entering. It's something that doesn't seem hard for an assassin to do but could make the game kinda easy in some parts.

sharpblade1508
05-14-2015, 07:29 PM
These are some really good ideas we've been talking about on here. Is there a way we can get this thread out of general discussion so that some Ubi devs might actually read it?

BananaBlighter
05-14-2015, 09:25 PM
These are some really good ideas we've been talking about on here. Is there a way we can get this thread out of general discussion so that some Ubi devs might actually read it?

Yeah I hope they are reading this stuff because this time thanks to their honesty it's their chance to make improvements that the players want. I hope it's not that far in to development that none of these ideas aren't implementable.

REALM OF ONE
05-15-2015, 12:13 AM
Now I know that the title is a bit pessimistic, but i think it will be true. First I've played every ac game on multiple platforms and for a basis my favorite games are AC 1, AC Brotherhood, AC 4, and AC 3. AC Brotherhood and AC Black Flag being my top games.

Why I think Ubi has lost AC. The mentality of unity is literally the exact wrong direction they need to go in with every aspect of the game, mechanics, combat, graphics, game play, story, and lack of depth.

Mechanics just don't work at all in unity, clunky not accurate which is one of the most core components of the series. Basically ticking off every player that plays this series. Instead of focus on how many npc's they can get on a screen, they need to focus on getting there game to 60 fps. This is what would greatly help the accuracy in controls. If you play any of the series on PC and then on console you will notice that the controls are far more responsive on the PC. Sure they have the more power, but if UBI placed the effort on 60fps across platforms the game play would be a lot better for all platforms.

Combat: Everybody I think would agree that Brotherhood and AC 4 has the best concept of fighting, WHY DO UBI KEEP TRYING TO CHANGE SOMETHING THAT ALREADY WORKED FINE! I can understand changing button layout to accommodate new weapons or skills, but the combat could still be the same with out taking away what works. Peaple want continuity in the games.

Graphics: To me AC 4 looks the best that any AC game has. SOLID TEXTURES INSTEAD OF SEE THROUGH TEXTURES. Unity to me has its moments, but over all looks terrible. Bad coloring on cloths and buildings. Even lighting was way over kill in Unity. Don't get me started on the fps for unity. Even the PC does not play it well.

Game play: Brotherhood, AC 1, and AC 4 have the best gameplay. Smoothness. COD Advanced Warfare plays like water flowing. Why can UBI not get there engine to play like that? They concentrate to much on environment instead of game play.

Story: Unity literally was a waste of time. Even the modern day was a complete joke and to me made a mockery of what AC is. "Nothing is true, Everything is permitted".
What happened to that kind of depth? To me The first AC had the best story arc. The best boss fight. Why is UBi stepping away from that kind of story telling? The mystery, intelligence, and depth that made what AC was.

Syndicate: From what we have seen so far looks to be a replay of what we hate about unity. Combat looks to be more hand to hand. What happened to being able to use your hidden blade for every combat situation? Your an assassin that's what you do. Graphics look to be the same as unity, just re-skinned. Mechanics: CAN WE PLEASE GET FREE-RUN TO ACTUALLY WORK? BUTTON RESPONSIVENESS!

The brawling part were you fight with your syndicate to take the burrows, hate to say this but it reminds me of den defense in Revelations. This is simply not what a assassin would do. This mechanic is not what AC is. An assassin would not go out in the middle of the street with a gang and fight it out. He would simply assassinate the leader. Like you did in Brotherhood with the borja towers. Same concept just doing it the assassin way.

UBI needs to listen. You need to concentrate on game play smoothness. Combat that works! Controller responsiveness. Continuity from the older games. Step away from the direction of unity. Solid texture graphics. A story that rewards you in the end, that has mystery and intelligence, that drives you to play the game. Syndicate is a great time period to go to, but we the games do not want to visit it with unity style gaming.

Civona
05-15-2015, 12:19 AM
One thing that I noticed is that civillians are often standing in the midst of guard patrols. This makes the fact that they don't count as people who can spot you often seem a little ridiculous. It would be nice if NPCs didn't spawn within a certain radius of guards that are in gang territory or heavily restricted zones, though of course in some contexts that might not be possible, and it's fine.

Managing crowd detection is a mechanic that should definitely be in a future game, but it's fine that it's not there now.

Watching the traditional free-running segments of the demo, I noticed that the transition into free-running seems a lot smoother and less "sticky", with some intelligently skipped animation frames. This is great! The stickiness was probably my main problem with Unity's movement despite a lot of genuine improvement in other aspects, it just felt like too much stop and go after coming from Watch Dogs' smooth vaulting system.

I'm fairly certain the on-foot movement is more responsive than before, though I'd have to get hands on to know for sure. I saw what looked like really tight circles of movement while in stealth mode, and that's exactly what I want. It shouldn't feel clumsy to thread between obstacles. The removal of snap-to-cover is a really great choice, but it also means that we need as much dexterity in our movement as possible. This is also obviously helpful in properly angling free-running jumps and climbing up the correct things.

I can't say for certain if this will be a problem, but in Unity there were a lot of things that were climbable despite being basically dead-ends: the upper part of a door-way in a low-ceilinged tunnel, for example. Conversely, there were also some obvious climbable objects like tables that automatically forced the Assassin off. I'm sure there was a reason for both those things, but those are some of the biggest obstacles to free-running: things that look climbable but should probably not be, and things that aren't climbable and have no obvious reason not to be.

LoyalACFan
05-15-2015, 01:32 AM
The reused animations don't bother me that much since Arno's were pretty neutral and looked sick.

I mean, I know they can't replace all of the parkour animations, but at the very least Jacob should have his own running and assassination animations. I can even deal with a reused walking animation, but that run animation is just 100% Arno.

sharpblade1508
05-15-2015, 04:49 AM
In the event that Ubisoft doesn't see this thread because it is in general discussion now, I figured I'd post this here so that it gets some notice by the people posting on here.

https://www.change.org/p/ubisoft-ubisoft-quebec-make-a-hood-hat-toggle-button-without-forcing-stealth-mode-in-assassin-s-creed-syndicate

BananaBlighter
05-15-2015, 05:15 PM
The weirdest thing I saw in the demo was the zipline with that grappling hook. It doesn't make sense for obvious reasons, that some imaginary other end of the cord stays behind, and disappears when you leave the zipline. Just slightly tweaking the animation could make it all a lot more believable. If the grappling hook had two ends which have a mechanism allowing them to be clipped in to a wall or floor, but detached with the movement of you wrist like the hidden blade. It's hard to explain this but basically the assassin can detach the end from the wall with the movement of his wrist.

Now if you change that animation so that Jacob/Evie pushes something from the gauntlet (other end of grappling hook) into the wall or floor nearby as they shoot the other end across. Then they have two points that hang a zipline between them. As they zoom across, flicking their wrist to eject the hidden blade also fires a mechanism that detaches the two hooks and they both zoom back in to the gauntlet as Jacob/Evie fall for the air assassination. This last bit doesn't need to be in the animation but we know that it's happened.

I know this is still unbelievable but only in the sense that a mechanism like this is kinda advanced for this time period, unlike before when it was genuinely impossible. When you normally use the grappling hook to scale buildings/swing around only one end of the grappling hook comes out. I know that you probably can't change the design of the gauntlet at this point but only changing the animation make sit more believable. We can pretend that there is an imaginary 'other end of the grappling hook' which is shoved into the ground/floor.

REALM OF ONE
05-15-2015, 05:33 PM
One thing I hope they get rid of is the collectibles. I really am tied of flags, cockades, way to many chest, animus shards. There always an achievement for collecting all of them. Its just getting old.

REALM OF ONE
05-15-2015, 05:38 PM
I mean, I know they can't replace all of the parkour animations, but at the very least Jacob should have his own running and assassination animations. I can even deal with a reused walking animation, but that run animation is just 100% Arno.

I totally agree with you. I hate the way arno runs.

Daanage
05-16-2015, 08:06 PM
I hope they put some atmosphere back into the game, a sense of mystery. I thought Unity was absolutely soulless. The story felt like a poor excuse to run through Paris doing errands.

Also would be great if they add some film music like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RogV9koxBeY

sharpblade1508
05-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Something I feel could really save this franchise is if the developers go back and look at how Assassin's Creed 2 was done. Myself and a lot of other people agree that it was the best one in the series, though it is contested by brotherhood and black flag. It had amazing narrative, it really made you feel for Ezio's character. We need something that can really immerse us in that world and story again. I've got to say I'm optimistic that they are removing all multiplayer aspects from syndicate as I've felt that multiplayer is what brought the series down, having resources diverted away from a great narrative and single player experience. Don't get me wrong I love multiplayer games, but some series just aren't meant to be multiplayer and I think Assassin's Creed is one of them.

Civona
05-17-2015, 09:11 PM
I appreciate that horses don't clip into each other and play "impact" animations when they slam into each other or other carriages, but I feel like there needs to be a bigger speed penalty for impacts, at least with Jacob's carriage/horse. Also there are some times where more violent impact animations were required to sell a collision, but none played. If any of that is going to be in the game it'll be being worked on right now, but I'm just mentioning that I think it'd be good if it was.

I also think that there should possibly be a longer "turn acceleration" so the player can more easily make minute directional adjustments if they just tap the stick, and sharp turns if they hold it. It felt like the player in the video was struggling with turning that was too sensitive to taps.

SolidNSnake1985
05-17-2015, 09:23 PM
i really hope one of the developers reads this

i have no doubts with Ubisoft to deliver a solid Storyline telling

unlike Unity

i'm looking for good Performance like they did with Black Flag

in Black Flag it had Consistent frame rate at 30fps ... while in Unity even Patched it remained awful

the Crowd in Unity all they did was get in the way and i'm glad from what i've seen from the reveal Trailer the Crowd count have Declined to move more freely .. and also maybe help with the performance of the next game .

the frame rate in Unity was my only major gripe .. "didn't encounter the rest of the bugs that ppl reported" but the framerate is the thing my eyes noticed instantly

If you deliver a smooth experience with stable frame rate, i have no doubt i will enjoy Syndicate ..

EmptyCrustacean
05-17-2015, 09:40 PM
One thing I hope they get rid of is the collectibles. I really am tied of flags, cockades, way to many chest, animus shards. There always an achievement for collecting all of them. Its just getting old.

Chests used to be useful for helping you buy equipment. Now they exist solely for you to explore the city seeing as most of the money comes from main missions anyway.

THE_JOKE_KING33
05-17-2015, 10:30 PM
Mechanics just don't work at all in unity, clunky not accurate which is one of the most core components of the series. Basically ticking off every player that plays this series. Instead of focus on how many npc's they can get on a screen, they need to focus on getting there game to 60 fps. This is what would greatly help the accuracy in controls. If you play any of the series on PC and then on console you will notice that the controls are far more responsive on the PC. Sure they have the more power, but if UBI placed the effort on 60fps across platforms the game play would be a lot better for all platforms.

Combat: Everybody I think would agree that Brotherhood and AC 4 has the best concept of fighting, WHY DO UBI KEEP TRYING TO CHANGE SOMETHING THAT ALREADY WORKED FINE! I can understand changing button layout to accommodate new weapons or skills, but the combat could still be the same with out taking away what works. Peaple want continuity in the games.

Graphics: To me AC 4 looks the best that any AC game has. SOLID TEXTURES INSTEAD OF SEE THROUGH TEXTURES. Unity to me has its moments, but over all looks terrible. Bad coloring on cloths and buildings. Even lighting was way over kill in Unity. Don't get me started on the fps for unity. Even the PC does not play it well.

Game play: Brotherhood, AC 1, and AC 4 have the best gameplay. Smoothness. COD Advanced Warfare plays like water flowing. Why can UBI not get there engine to play like that? They concentrate to much on environment instead of game play.

Story: Unity literally was a waste of time. Even the modern day was a complete joke and to me made a mockery of what AC is. "Nothing is true, Everything is permitted".
What happened to that kind of depth? To me The first AC had the best story arc. The best boss fight. Why is UBi stepping away from that kind of story telling? The mystery, intelligence, and depth that made what AC was.

I gotta agree with everything here.

The animations during the fighting look like there's a few frames missing from some of them.

The combat should look like what it did in this video at 5:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4vPChhnesg (sorry I don't know how to "show" the video on forums)

IMO, giving the combat an Arkham series/Shadow Of Mordor-esque fighting system would work all kinds of wonders (though frankly almost any fighting system would work better than Unity's).

Honestly, three things got me into AC: The story, the gameplay, the cool historical locations.

As far as I'm concerned they've already muck up the story so much that short of devoting vast amounts of writing talent to it or a complete story reboot, there's no salvaging it.

I was enjoying the gameplay up until Unity, the weird parkouring and the combat being the biggest reasons for my disappointment in the title.

They still got the cool historical locations in spades. I have not hated the look of any of the locations in any AC game to this date, and I severely doubt that I'm going to hate London. That being said that's not enough to justify me buying it.

If I had to say one good thing about the gameplay so far, it's that. Thank! CHRIST! Whistling is back!

shobhit7777777
05-18-2015, 12:35 PM
Remove the blindfolds and the earplugs the AI NPCs have.

I'm extremely tired of dumb AI...the series staple.

Oh and please, for the my sake - can we PLEASE have AI guards responding to the civvie NPCs? Civvies gesticulate, point, scream, yell at your actions....and the enemy AI ignores all of it. Not only does this stick out like a sore thumb, but it also ****s stealth gameplay up

LUR21
05-20-2015, 11:22 PM
Hopefully, with all the horses and carriages we will be able to use a horse on its own. It would suck if they just had horse and carriage and thats it. And hopefully the horses work like they did in AC1, AC2 and ACB with an infintie gallop. Very annoying in AC3 that a horse could only gallop for barely 50m. I know its not a big thing but i would love it if they did.

Landruner
05-22-2015, 01:19 AM
I hope this doesn't get merged with the General Discussion as I want this thread to be used to give developers feedback, rather than us coming up with theories and talking about random things.

Instead this thread will be used to highlight anything you don't like so far and hope to be tweaked for release.
My first concern is the lighting system, like AC Unity it seems to be overpowering, buildings and floors seem to lose their textures and be washed out due to the intensity.
My second concern is the fist fighting. It looks cartoonish, it looks out of place. The reason being is that the animation speed is too fast, damn fast.

What about you guys?

Well I saw the demo and honestly I did not like anything I have seen so far, except the fact that "they" can use some piece of the environment to to their advantage,I was not really exalted by the alpha or (pre-alpha lol!!!!) showed to us so far.

Like usual when I like something in an assassin game Ubisoft remove it for the next one... I am hoping that i am wrong, but It looks like that hey removed the cover system from ACU - Cover system that just needed some serious improvement and not being removed....

I thought that the carriages chases were lame and seriously they need to be improved (still it is a pre-alpha demo,so....???). Obviously, we over-killing a lot of pedestrian in the process as well, which is going to be a lot of frustration with the loss of synchronization" for "Carmagedding" too many civilians in the street. (Remember assassin don't kill civilians, but only villains and Templar) - I know it is just a pre-alpha, but I felt the same physics for the carriages being like the ones of WD post release and .... patched.

Where i am the most disappointed is that I was hoping that Ubisoft was going to bring some new creative and innovative features and concepts in the gameplay, and so far, I just saw a mere repetition of what we previously had from the past games.

The combat system with just brawling dudes that like usual all look like the same each other and that looks like the same from the previous game (I mean by this the same archetype foes with archetypical Templar attitude and AI) - I know that it is a pre-alpha but still....

Honestly i am going to miss the sword fighting which I believe was a big part of the AC games, however; it is only my opinion and I could be wrong too.

Sef1n
05-22-2015, 08:39 AM
I was looking forward to Victory / Syndicate

What disapointed me(from reveal trailers) is:
- "batman" combat - If they wanted brutal assassin they should look at Connor and his fighting animations and speed!
- carriage chase like in Watch Dogs (job poorly done - it was annoying as hell)
- story seems to be again more outside brotherhood´s main interests

I can not tell much about other stuff.

What I want is deep base with crafting like was in ACIII. I love it! Especialy when you have those people around who you care for.
With engine and capability of unity´s engine it can pull even more life into base.

but It is just wish, which will not be heard. Syndicate comes out this year and pre-alpha footage was basicaly final product :-(

I won´t buy Syndicate until it is on sale as from what I saw so far it does not interest me much. I only can´t wait to set foot in London and climb to Big Ben :)
AC game gets a lot of possitive poits from me just for beautiful city they create. I never seen anything like this. All AC games have lively and beautiful cities. (but it is not worth €60+ just for walking through virtual London)

Civona
05-22-2015, 08:55 PM
Some positive feedback: the grappling hook is, as a concept, something that AC needs. The games are set on earth, and its characters are human beings, yet the gameplay demands that they have greater mobility within their environment than is possible for an unassisted parkour artist. Previous games mostly attempt to solve this by conspicuously building their cities to be more climbable: smaller scale, contrived handholds. They also simply make the characters perform physical feats that they should not be capable of, like Ezio and Arno's climb leap.

Assassin's Creed is a game about not being restricted by human limits, and the grappling hook is a literal manifestation of that. It is honest in the same way that Edward being a pirate is honest: "this is how the games were the whole time, we're no longer pretending otherwise." And that honesty allows for design that better serves the true goals of the game, because this device is specifically built to break human limits. It's not realistic, and that is good, because the things the core gameplay of AC demands are not realistic either.

Making AC actually about being a normal human who is good at climbing would probably require a drastic shift in philosophy towards how players can navigate environments and what kind of environments the games are set in. Since they can't really do that now (and will likely not ever be able to unless this series gets a rebooted a long time from now) embracing the "gadget-based superhero" angle is probably best.

jeffies04
05-22-2015, 09:09 PM
Something that bothered me about the carriage chase were all the innocent bystanders that got trampled by the player... That's not really an assassin thing to do: roll over dozens of people while chasing one Templar...

Hans684
05-22-2015, 09:15 PM
Something that bothered me about the carriage chase were all the innocent bystanders that got trampled by the player... That's not really an assassin thing to do: roll over dozens of people while chasing one Templar...

Everything is permitted...

Namikaze_17
05-22-2015, 09:18 PM

All the Assassins do it sooner or later...

- story seems to be again more outside brotherhood´s main interests

He's using the gangs to take over the slums for the BROTHERHOOD to take over.

Not to mention he said they'll take over everything from the bottom up.

Civona
05-23-2015, 05:31 AM
Oh, another cool thing that I noticed but forgot to mention: the camera pulls back during the big gang fight at the end of the demo.

I seriously hope that this is contextual based on the amount of enemies involved in the conflict rather than something that only happens in gang fights, because the lack of AC3's dynamically zooming/unzooming camera was a big problem in Unity. The more information the player has, the more willing they will be to accept a high level of challenge in the combat.

morganmark6
11-13-2015, 10:26 AM
hmmm...nice quote about "dream world". have you read eckhart tolle's "the power of now"?