PDA

View Full Version : How did you feel about the devs acknowledging the mistakes of Unity?

phoenix-force411
05-12-2015, 05:33 PM
If you watched the World Premier Event, you'll know what I'm talking about. This a surprise. I never thought the devs would actually address something like this. :O

VestigialLlama4
05-12-2015, 05:40 PM
If you watched the World Premier Event, you'll know what I'm talking about. This a surprise. I never thought the devs would actually address something like this. :O

It would have been more gutsy if they acknowledged or discussed it at launch. Doing at the premiere of the next game is very bad form in my view. They did the same during the launch of Black Flag, albeit not to the same extent. UNITY was entirely about how they are not going to do what AC3 did, which meant all the great things AC3 did as well.

RzaRecta357
05-12-2015, 05:42 PM
I loved how nice and humble they were.

phoenix-force411
05-12-2015, 05:43 PM
It would have been more gutsy if they acknowledged or discussed it at launch. Doing at the premiere of the next game is very bad form in my view. They did the same during the launch of Black Flag, albeit not to the same extent. UNITY was entirely about how they are not going to do what AC3 did, which meant all the great things AC3 did as well.

I believe it was due to the fact that many wanted them to come out and admit that Unity had problems. Still, it was good to hear them acknowledge it and admit that Unity was a challenge for them and they knew there were going to be problems.

cawatrooper9
05-12-2015, 05:44 PM
Technically, they already have addressed this. That's why everyone got Dead Kings for free.

SixKeys
05-12-2015, 05:47 PM
Did they really? I watched all of it, but I never got the impression they straight up admitted anything.

Bojanglesz
05-12-2015, 05:55 PM
Did they really? I watched all of it, but I never got the impression they straight up admitted anything.

this

Fatal-Feit
05-12-2015, 05:56 PM

From what I've seen, they've refined a ton of things in Unity, but yeah, I don't see anything apologetic. Still seems to be the same philosophy w/ Unity. There's a lot of things that they may or may not have taken from fan feedback. You know, like the new throwing knife mechanic that the forum discussed pre-Unity. =P

I absolutely love what they're doing so far, outside of the game. There's a ton of different collector's editions and accessories BUT NO ULC IN SIGHT(YET). :D NOT EVEN ON THE HIDDEN BLADE AND CANE REPLICAS. Gamestop's pre-order bonus, as far as we know, is the shilling necklace. And as for DLC missions, all of the collector's editions rock the same two missions. I like this. This is a decent sign.

Defalt221
05-12-2015, 06:14 PM

Yeah. The whistle option. Right ?
I hope the final build is MUCH BETTER than this though...

Hans684
05-12-2015, 06:16 PM
Gameplay looks similar with a few changes but I'm not seeing any story improvement.

VestigialLlama4
05-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Gameplay looks similar with a few changes but I'm not seeing any story improvement.

Well Arno was a tool but a tool in denial of his toolness. Jacob Frye is an obvious tool, so its a step in the right direction.

GunnarGunderson
05-12-2015, 06:27 PM
Publishers sitting in their board room checking off lines of the script.

"Yes, be sure to blame yourselves and your ambition instead of us mandating a yearly Autumn release regardless of the game's current state"

Megas_Doux
05-12-2015, 06:32 PM

Unity´s gameplay was the least of its problems....

Syndicate so far????

Well, London is big and I like it, but the thing is I´m not a big fan of the city per se, therefore my hype is low on that regard. Jacob seems like a one man army, which doesn´t make happy. Carriages are a good addition, though.

If anything, the gameplay will stay the same, but more polished. What I´m really looking for, is to see if they were able to improve the open world as a whole.

Hans684
05-12-2015, 06:44 PM
Unity´s gameplay was the least of its problems....

True, it had no story worth reliving

Syndicate so far????
Well, London is big and I like it, but the thing is I´m not a big fan of the city per se, therefore my hype is low on that regard.

Fair enough, It does have large streets so this grappling hock is the only solution.

Jacob seems like a one man army, which doesn´t make happy.

Good point but he's the brute of the two.

Carriages are a good addition, though.

It's a must with the current streets.

If anything, the gameplay will stay the same, but more polished.

More or less, it will adapt to the time periods.

What I´m really looking for, is to see if they were able to improve the open world as a whole.

Indeed.

SixKeys
05-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Wait, WTF?!

Is this the video everyone is talking about?

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/12/8593359/ubisoft-mess-assassins-creed-unity

If so, then it was NOT shown on the UK livestream. What the hell???

Sushiglutton
05-12-2015, 07:28 PM
Wait, WTF?!

Interesting, I didn't see it either, suppose I was watching the same stream as you.

Anyhow, all those words don't mean a thing as Ubisoft decided to release a game they knew was broken. Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Rocksteady, CD Project and so on they all make super ambitious and complex games. However they have the dignity to delay them if they are not working. Ubisoft does not.

Sadly this aspect was not touched upon in the video, which makes it an empty apology.

SixKeys
05-12-2015, 07:30 PM
Anyhow, all those words don't mean a thing as Ubisoft decided to release a game they knew was broken. Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Rocksteady, CD Project and so on they all make super ambitious and complex games. However they have the dignity to delay them if they are not working. Ubisoft does not.

Sadly this aspect was not touched upon in the video, which makes it an empty apology.

^ Agreed. I'm a little concerned about the October release date.

Megas_Doux
05-12-2015, 07:32 PM
interesting, i didn't see it either, suppose i was watching the same stream as you.

Anyhow, all those words don't mean a thing as ubisoft decided to release a game they knew was broken. Rockstar, naughty dog, rocksteady, cd project and so on they all make super ambitious and complex games. However they have the dignity to delay them if they are not working. Ubisoft does not.

annualization!!!!!

dxsxhxcx
05-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Interesting, I didn't see it either, suppose I was watching the same stream as you.

http://i.qkme.me/3vfthk.jpg

this subject wasn't touched in the video because that would've been admitting that the yearly releases affect the game's quality... every year after a new AC is released and apparent flaws caused by their rushed schedule begin to appear, this echoes in my mind:

"Ubisoft North American president Laurent Detoc said that Ubisoft would break Assassin’s Creed's annualized schedule by delaying a game "if it's not good enough." “If we think we’ve ended up with a 70 percent Assassin’s Creed game, we’re not going to ship it,” Detoc told IGN. “That damages the brand. I’m not going to give you the names of products, because you know them as well as I do..." now we certainly do... :p

VoXngola
05-12-2015, 07:36 PM
Wait, WTF?!

What the hell? Why wasn't this shown in the UK livestream? I didn't see it either.

SixKeys
05-12-2015, 07:38 PM
One thing I didn't really like was how the devs said that with Unity they took "too many risks". It concerns me because the Syndicate reveal screamed 'safe' in all aspects. Unity may have taken a lot of risks, but the answer to its problems isn't to stop innovating. So far ACS feels a lot like Rogue and that's not a good thing.

dxsxhxcx
05-12-2015, 07:46 PM
What the hell? Why wasn't this shown in the UK livestream? I didn't see it either.

because they don't want to alienate their UK fanbase since the game will take place in London..

VestigialLlama4
05-12-2015, 07:50 PM
^ Agreed. I'm a little concerned about the October release date.

Not really. This is going to be a super-modest game I think. Limited time-frame, trendy systemic gang mechanic, this is taking the Brotherhood approach.

VestigialLlama4
05-12-2015, 07:55 PM
One thing I didn't really like was how the devs said that with Unity they took "too many risks". It concerns me because the Syndicate reveal screamed 'safe' in all aspects.

That's just marketing speak, they say "risks" so that they can not admit that they bungled up a simple project. UNITY was a totally safe product, it didn't innovate. AC3 was the game that took risks.

So far ACS feels a lot like Rogue and that's not a good thing.

They are going for Black Flag and Brotherhood, the Box Art is a homage to Brotherhood after all.

Sushiglutton
05-12-2015, 08:01 PM
One thing I didn't really like was how the devs said that with Unity they took "too many risks". It concerns me because the Syndicate reveal screamed 'safe' in all aspects. Unity may have taken a lot of risks, but the answer to its problems isn't to stop innovating. So far ACS feels a lot like Rogue and that's not a good thing.

Yeah it does look very safe. It worries me a great deal as I do not understand how they will be able to make all the new technologies of the Victorian era justice. I mean if they start with Unity and then play it safe it's hard to see them makning enough changes to sell the new setting.

I also made the Rogue association. Especially when they burned the gang flag.

Xstantin
05-12-2015, 08:01 PM
They are going for Black Flag and Brotherhood, the Box Art is a homage to Brotherhood after all.

It's a minor thing I guess but I wish a single protag cover would make a comeback. Now it's all about boybands

Hans684
05-12-2015, 08:07 PM
With Yohalem as writer I doubt they've learned anything.

VestigialLlama4
05-12-2015, 08:11 PM
I also made the Rogue association. Especially when they burned the gang flag.

Burning the gang's flag comes from BROTHERHOOD, the Borgia Flag burns when you shut down each tower. Likewise REVELATIONS had the same element. AC3 made it Liberation missions where each district was under a control.

ROGUE like a hungry cannibal swallowed all that and called it "gang".

Just because its called "gang" doesn't mean that Rogue (a totally evil game) deserves credit. Please desist from doing so.

It's a minor thing I guess but I wish a single protag cover would make a comeback. Now it's all about boybands

AC1-AC2-AC3-Black Flag had single protagonists on the artwork, and...uh...Rogue as well. Brotherhood made sense since it was about Ezio recruiting his first crew. UNITY had the Four Dudes for the Co-Op thing.

VoXngola
05-12-2015, 08:16 PM
I'm sorry, but after watchting that video I have to get this off my heart.

Ubisoft, this is the cold truth. This is how the world works. Nobody cares if you worked on the game for 4 years, 10 years or even 15 years. At the end of the day, if the game is bad it's bad. Nothing more, nothing less. Nobody is going to come and say "aww, you worked so long for this!! alright..here I forgive u :)". You've been saying the exact same lines, year for year. At this point, the way you are right now, I can't help but think that this video is nothing but full of lies. It's nothing but empty words. You've been saying these words for years but most of the time you didn't keep your promise. Instead of saying these empty words, deliver. Deliver, and then we'll talk.

After Syndicate's release, I will come back to this video. And then we will see if you really wanted to make up for your shortcoming or if you lied again.

SixKeys
05-12-2015, 08:17 PM
Burning the gang's flag comes from BROTHERHOOD, the Borgia Flag burns when you shut down each tower. Likewise REVELATIONS had the same element. AC3 made it Liberation missions where each district was under a control.

Just because its called "gang" doesn't mean that Rogue (a totally evil game) deserves credit. Please desist from doing so.

The imagery/animations they used in ACS were more obviously inspired by Rogue than ACB. When you took over a tower in ACB, the default animation would show Ezio lighting some powder kegs and leaping off the burning tower. Rogue had you setting a flag on fire with a torch. It's the same with the berserk gas. The mechanic of driving an enemy crazy with poison has been around since AC2, but Rogue had you blowing up barrels of it to create a big scene.

Sushiglutton
05-12-2015, 08:17 PM

I was mainly thinking of the animation. I never played Rogue, but watched a walkthrough of a gang takeover sometime.

LoyalACFan
05-12-2015, 08:52 PM
I say less talk, more walk. They keep tripping over themselves to apologize for Unity's mess, but it looks like all they've done is repackage it as Syndicate. Unity built a decent foundation for the new mechanics, but I had hoped the next game would refine them; instead, they look to be the exact same. They just completely stopped innovating. Don't tell yourselves that "oh, it's just pre-alpha, it'll be different in the fall" because it won't. At this point this is a pretty good representation of what the game will look like, six months isn't going to change it in any significant way.

The story looks to have some promise, but the game itself is looking more and more like a "skip" to me.

pacmanate
05-12-2015, 08:53 PM
They acknowledged which is great, but if they dont ACT on this and Syndicate is still not polished on release then Ubisofts reputation is down the drain.

It takes serious balls for a company to make a video saying they know they failed, but to then not act on this will make them look like idiots.

Sorrosyss
05-12-2015, 08:59 PM
Good to see admission of mistakes. Now let's see them address some of them in Syndicate. I'm concerned to see no mention of modern day and first civilisation, considering it was an area that was promised to be improved on. Syndicate also seems to have some performance issues at this stage, which most likely means it will ship with them in my opinion.

Still, have to wait and see I guess. As others have said, if they repeat the same mistakes, or mess up this launch, all this talk will have been for nothing.

TexasCaesar
05-12-2015, 09:09 PM
I'm rather surprised at how many old features they added back in. It confounded me why they took out things like throwing knives and whistling, and now we've got, again, throwing knives and whistling. Were they just so cocky when making Unity that they thought they could strip all those little luxuries out?

At any rate, I think I'll try to resist the temptation to watch trailers until around the time for release. The game looks really unpolished now - on account of it being in pre-alpha - and I don't want that coloring my expectations.

Perk89
05-12-2015, 09:26 PM

lol

EmptyCrustacean
05-12-2015, 10:22 PM
How delicious it was for the developers to run down all the wonderful innovation and accomplishments with each AC game (with Unity missing completely from that line up) basically trying to tug at our heart strings and get us to remember why we love AC... and then when they do talk about Unity it's about what a failure it is.

Megas_Doux
05-12-2015, 10:39 PM
How delicious it was for the developers to run down all the wonderful innovation and accomplishments with each AC game (with Unity missing completely from that line up) basically trying to tug at our heart strings and get us to remember why we love AC... and then when they do talk about Unity it's about what a failure it is.

Unity attempted some good things:

Having open assassinations instead of the QTE disaster of AC III.
Not being a one man army able to kill 85985093850 of enemies within seconds.
1.1 Buildings, customization, parkour down.

Aside from the technical stuff and micro-transactions, Unity´s story was non existent.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-13-2015, 12:05 AM
All I can say is that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

If they acknowledge their mistakes and promise not to do it again, thats great.

But if they don't, then we're gonna have a problem >_>

Hans684
07-06-2015, 08:47 PM
So far? Not enough.

LoyalACFan
07-06-2015, 11:56 PM
After seeing more gameplay, I'm of two minds about their statements. They know Unity was a hackjob, which is good, but on the other hand, they're playing it SO safe now. Syndicate looks so tepid and samey it's hard to think that it will be singled out for much criticism, but it won't be deserving of much praise either. I mean, it's basically Unity with the more experimental parts completely lopped off instead of polished up and fixed.

Mr_Shade
07-07-2015, 09:22 PM
Lets keep things civil without the trolling please.. else the thread can be locked..

Wolfmeister1010
07-08-2015, 01:40 AM
I find it bizarre that they still assigned Kiev to do the PC port after years of nothing but disappointment and mistakes. They seem to acknowledge that every year, promising to "do better by PC gamers" but then that was prior to Unity..so who darn knows?

One thing they would do is not encrypt and hard lock the graphics and env settings so we can change things like the draw distance and stuff.

Also, I find it very unfortunate that a lot of the things they are advertising in videos are either things that have RETURNED (whistling, throwing knives, gang helpers) or minor tweaks (crouching and cover). Have you noticed that in all the videos where they talk about the upgrades to stealth, the only thing they really talk about is getting rid of hard lock cover?

LoyalACFan
07-08-2015, 02:29 PM
Also, I find it very unfortunate that a lot of the things they are advertising in videos are either things that have RETURNED (whistling, throwing knives, gang helpers) or minor tweaks (crouching and cover). Have you noticed that in all the videos where they talk about the upgrades to stealth, the only thing they really talk about is getting rid of hard lock cover?

I mean, mechanically, Unity's stealth was pretty OK except for crap guard AI. Ideally a stealth game should have myriad ways of manipulating enemy AI, but it needs to be predictable and reliable for that to work. If the next game can just get some guards that aren't either psychic or complete simpletons, they'd be on the right track.

Xagron
07-13-2015, 06:34 PM
People keeping on complaining about Syndicate being samey but I think they need to slow it down a bit and not try and change everything. With Unity they went overboard with the innovation and threw out lots of popular mechanics along with some of the less popular ones. This left them with no time for the story or modern day or for to fix all of the bugs. The best thing Syndicate can do is be cautious and focus on having a decent story line that actually interests the fans. I think Unity's bugs would have been forgiven if people actually enjoyed playing the game. My hope is they will build off of Unity and take a middle ground between the innovation and the core interests that make people love the series.

Hans684
07-13-2015, 06:47 PM
That depends on if he visit London for the sake of it or if it acutely progress MD and we accomplish something in MD(and gets a MD protagonist), because so far Unity and Syndicate looks the same and just as much a waste of time(story wise).

pacmanate
07-14-2015, 01:19 PM
I mean, mechanically, Unity's stealth was pretty OK except for crap guard AI. Ideally a stealth game should have myriad ways of manipulating enemy AI, but it needs to be predictable and reliable for that to work. If the next game can just get some guards that aren't either psychic or complete simpletons, they'd be on the right track.

I don't see how upgrades to stealth is just a soft lock. How about going round corners in cover? Why is that not a thing still? Popping in and out of cover to go around a corner is ridiculous.

XavierSaviour
07-18-2015, 06:11 PM
I don't feel like Ubisoft really owned up to their mistakes in that video, only really acted like a victim about people hating on them and what they made. They have QA Testers who would've told them that the game is not ready and needs more polish to correct the bugs and glitches and yet, did nothing.

Altair1789
07-19-2015, 08:38 PM
I find it bizarre that they still assigned Kiev to do the PC port after years of nothing but disappointment and mistakes. They seem to acknowledge that every year, promising to "do better by PC gamers" but then that was prior to Unity..so who darn knows?

One thing they would do is not encrypt and hard lock the graphics and env settings so we can change things like the draw distance and stuff.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/80727e839f6cb0be418c3378216062b4/tumblr_nqiyoiKaJq1rwq84jo1_500.png

Ubisoft Kiev's entry is 100% lies

By the way, where is tesselation for Unity on PC?

Dieinthedark
07-19-2015, 11:13 PM
I still don't think AC belongs indoors or should focus on line of sight stealth at all. Assassin's Creed is about social stealth, blending in with crowds of people. Instead of trying to tack on yet another stealth feature to be a jack of all trades game, I would much rather they master what the AC franchise is about, namely social stealth. From 2007 - 2015, I have yet to see any depth or any advancement on the pillar of social stealth. AC1 we hide amongst scholars, AC2 we could hire courtesans and auto blend amongst groups of NPCs, and since then, has anything changed? ACU gives us a bigger crowd of people to hide in is about all I can think of. Crowds feel they're more of a prop than an entity in the game.

RVSage
07-19-2015, 11:21 PM
http://41.media.tumblr.com/80727e839f6cb0be418c3378216062b4/tumblr_nqiyoiKaJq1rwq84jo1_500.png

Ubisoft Kiev's entry is 100% lies

By the way, where is tesselation for Unity on PC?

100 % lies ??? What about black flag and rogue.. They did work on those PC ports.. Yes they did not do a great job in Unity... or AC III... But they did ports for most other AC games too.. Were they not good???... , I will only cry foul if the end product is not good... Have some faith guys and girls.. This is just entertainment for us.. but this is some people's profession... Just don;t question expertise of people.. they surely know more than you and me,,, Take a call after game releases.. Not before that.. This is a time where we give constructive feedback not question or troll them... Enough complaints on unity has been said and they have apologized publicly and accepted.. it...Let them do their job

Alphacos007
07-19-2015, 11:27 PM
100 % lies ??? What about black flag and rogue.. They did work on those PC ports.. Yes they did not do a great job in Unity... or AC III... But they did ports for most other AC games too.. Were they not good???... , I will only cry foul if the end product is not good... Have some faith guys and girls.. This is just entertainment for us.. but this is some people's profession... Just don;t question expertise of people.. they surely know more than you and me,,, Take a call after game releases.. Not before that.. This is a time where we give constructive feedback not question or troll them... Enough complaints on unity has been said and they have apologized publicly and accepted.. it...Let them do their job

EVERY port made by them, with the exception of Rogue, were terrible. I can run Unity better than AC4 on my computer. I just hope that they learned from Rogue, and get that into Syndicate.

RVSage
07-19-2015, 11:29 PM
EVERY port made by them, with the exception of Rogue, were terrible. I can run Unity better than AC4 on my computer. I just hope that they learned from Rogue, and get that into Syndicate.

Oh you had issues running ACII, ACB, AC Revelations on your machine eh??? I ran black flag really well on my older machine... It was good... And majority of people would agree with me on AC4...It was a great game in most aspects

Alphacos007
07-19-2015, 11:45 PM
Are you kidding me? Everyone who plays on PC says how bad of a port AC4 was. And I never had problems running any AC games on my computer because I am fortunate enough to have a great machine, but people with less powerful ones struggled to run every single game in their release times, except for Rogue. Most of my friends are poor and their computers are not very much above the recommended specs, and I always follow their dramas with the FPS issues.