PDA

View Full Version : Lockheed F133 (?)

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 05:57 PM
I saw a very interesting programme called "planes that never flew" on the discovery channel. It was about the Lockheed F133 (I think) , a fighter which was developed by the same person who later developed the Starfighter. The F133 would have used special engines with afterburners and would have been supersonic. The amazing thing was that it could have flown during the second world war. Perhaps even more amazing was the fact that the USAAF turned the design down. Instead, when the Arado A234 bomber/reconnaisance jet aircraft was first used, the USAAF decided to use the P80 to counter this new threat. It is quite strange that the USAAF could have had a fighter aircraft that could have truly ruled the skies, but instead went for a normal jet aircraft. The P80 was not all-American and was powered by British Goblin engines /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif . The F133 could have been revolutionary with its canard wings, but it seems like it was left out.

To be able to fare well,
To avoid the frustration of misfortune,
That, in this world, is happiness.
-Euripides' Electra

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 05:57 PM
I saw a very interesting programme called "planes that never flew" on the discovery channel. It was about the Lockheed F133 (I think) , a fighter which was developed by the same person who later developed the Starfighter. The F133 would have used special engines with afterburners and would have been supersonic. The amazing thing was that it could have flown during the second world war. Perhaps even more amazing was the fact that the USAAF turned the design down. Instead, when the Arado A234 bomber/reconnaisance jet aircraft was first used, the USAAF decided to use the P80 to counter this new threat. It is quite strange that the USAAF could have had a fighter aircraft that could have truly ruled the skies, but instead went for a normal jet aircraft. The P80 was not all-American and was powered by British Goblin engines /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif . The F133 could have been revolutionary with its canard wings, but it seems like it was left out.

To be able to fare well,
To avoid the frustration of misfortune,
That, in this world, is happiness.
-Euripides' Electra

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 10:10 PM
Yea, well there are plenty of "What if" A/Cs for each side.. wich could have a major effect on the outcome of the war.. esspecially the german designs..

Official Sig:

<center>http://koti.mbnet.fi/vipez/shots/Vipez4.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 10:53 PM
The axial engine (L-1000) designed by Nathan Price in 1940 for Lockheed was to have 5000lb of thrust. In 1943 long term support was finally obtained and the engine was given the designation XJ37. In Oct 1945 Lockheed gave the project to Menasco who then turned it over to Wright. Wright terminated the project in 1952.

http://www.stenbergaa.com/stenberg/crandall-stormclouds2.jpg