joberrick
08-15-2004, 08:05 PM
Did the corsair have landing lights?

joberrick
08-15-2004, 08:05 PM
Did the corsair have landing lights?

Ratrod
08-15-2004, 09:04 PM
I looked it up in one of my books which have a complete disection/diagram of the Corsiar. Although it had port, starboard and rear navigation lights, I couldn't find a landing light. This doesn't make sense though as I'm sure they had night landings on both carriers and ground. Good question, what made you think that one up?

WWeasel11
08-15-2004, 10:01 PM
Modern carrier based planes do not use landing lights to get aboard ship unless the LSO's are operating in next to zero visibility(fog). At night a million candlepower light being blasted in the LSO's eyes dosn't help very much. There is just no use for it on the boat. I assume these lights were not fitted because there is no real purpose for them. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

stansdds
08-16-2004, 03:47 AM
Early production Corsairs did have a landing light located under the port outer wing panel. The light was deleted beginning with F4U-1 ser no 17930, FG-1 ser no 13261 and F3A-1 ser no 04592.

Yellonet
08-16-2004, 04:40 AM
Were the pilots really allowed to use landing lights when landing on a carrier? That would have been a nice giveaway for enemy aircraft.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/yellonet/Yellonet_sig.jpg

BSS_Vidar
08-16-2004, 09:53 AM
Bright landing gear mounted or leading edge wing lights were not used during approaches to the boat. It would be blinding to the LSO and deck crew, even the pilot. Nav-lights dimmed down low where used by the LSO as a frame of reference for the approaching aircraft.
It's VERY dark out at sea. Any white light would blind the LSO effectively for up to 30 miniutes. It takes the optic nerve that long to re-adjust to darkness. As for the pilot, a bright ora would bathe the area around his plane and severly hinder his ability to see the ship. Red-luminated cockpit instruments are turned way down during approaches as well.

BSS_Vidar

Fliger747
08-16-2004, 10:46 AM
Night approaches to any lighted field, especially conducted in poor visibility are much better conducted without landing lights. A light can be usefull for taxiing, but again would not be used aboard ship. There are some circumstances where SOME shore ops might benefit from a landing light, but in a combat zone these would be few and far between. Even present day ops into 'garden spots' such as "Al's Garage" are generally conducted at night without lights.