PDA

View Full Version : Default skins question

Tater-SW-
08-30-2004, 02:36 PM
The default skins for player, AI, and static planes in Il-2/FB/AEP are clearly linked to the maps at some level since there are different winter and summer skins for many plane types, and they appear automatically based upon the map being summer or winter.

Since this technology is already built into even the first Il-2, would it be possible to have map-based default skins for (and unique to) PF?

Ie: the Pearl Harbor map would select the early war skins as default (as a summer map would select summer skins), while the Saipan map would select Saipan specific skins (Late war skins---as a winter map would pick the winter default).

I'd be inclined to standardize on the Summer of 1942 as "early war" skins for planes that flew in that time period(after the candy-canes were removed in May). Later planes would have an early default based upon typical (not unit specific!) paint schemes used at the time they flew in combat. Late war skins for early planes might be the same as early, or could be erzatz camo for Zeros, etc (for example: default early A6M2 is Naval paint and clean (as it is now), late war A6M2 would be field applied splotchy camo). Some "late" paint late war types would have "defense of Japan" markings, or even "special attack" (the early versions of late war planes might then have non-homeland paint schemes).

The bottom line is that Il-2 already allows for 2 deafult skins per plane type (winter/summer). Please use this EXISTING feature in PF! I'm sure the skinning community would be happy to oblige you if you asked for a generic early/late scheme for each plane.

In addition, I certainly hope the default B-17, P-51D, and P-47 skins switch to a more generic color scheme (minus the D-day stripes and 8th AF markings that make them utterly inappropriate for the PTO). B-17s should be Olive Drab, ans olive or metal for P-47, and probably just metal for the P-51s. The P-40 could lose the CBI skin it has now (the skulls) and go to a generic OD skin. The US planes seem to suffer most from default skins that are specific to a certain unit, instead of an overall "typical" paint scheme.

tater

[This message was edited by Tater-SW- on Mon August 30 2004 at 01:45 PM.]

Tater-SW-
08-30-2004, 02:36 PM
The default skins for player, AI, and static planes in Il-2/FB/AEP are clearly linked to the maps at some level since there are different winter and summer skins for many plane types, and they appear automatically based upon the map being summer or winter.

Since this technology is already built into even the first Il-2, would it be possible to have map-based default skins for (and unique to) PF?

Ie: the Pearl Harbor map would select the early war skins as default (as a summer map would select summer skins), while the Saipan map would select Saipan specific skins (Late war skins---as a winter map would pick the winter default).

I'd be inclined to standardize on the Summer of 1942 as "early war" skins for planes that flew in that time period(after the candy-canes were removed in May). Later planes would have an early default based upon typical (not unit specific!) paint schemes used at the time they flew in combat. Late war skins for early planes might be the same as early, or could be erzatz camo for Zeros, etc (for example: default early A6M2 is Naval paint and clean (as it is now), late war A6M2 would be field applied splotchy camo). Some "late" paint late war types would have "defense of Japan" markings, or even "special attack" (the early versions of late war planes might then have non-homeland paint schemes).

The bottom line is that Il-2 already allows for 2 deafult skins per plane type (winter/summer). Please use this EXISTING feature in PF! I'm sure the skinning community would be happy to oblige you if you asked for a generic early/late scheme for each plane.

In addition, I certainly hope the default B-17, P-51D, and P-47 skins switch to a more generic color scheme (minus the D-day stripes and 8th AF markings that make them utterly inappropriate for the PTO). B-17s should be Olive Drab, ans olive or metal for P-47, and probably just metal for the P-51s. The P-40 could lose the CBI skin it has now (the skulls) and go to a generic OD skin. The US planes seem to suffer most from default skins that are specific to a certain unit, instead of an overall "typical" paint scheme.

tater

[This message was edited by Tater-SW- on Mon August 30 2004 at 01:45 PM.]

IV_JG51_Razor
08-30-2004, 02:45 PM
Excellent point Tater. I second that request! I'd go one further, and ask that we be able to apply custom skins to static A/C just as we're able to do now in FB to AI planes.

Razor
IV/JG51 11/12 Staffelkapitan
www.jg51.net (http://www.jg51.net)
Forgotten Skies Online War
http://www.forgottenskies.com/ForgottenWars/default.aspx
"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from poor judgement"

Tater-SW-
08-30-2004, 03:01 PM
The static planes use the default skin in the code as it is. The default skin types (2 per plane already, though not always used) are hidden from us. I presume this is so that a server can always guarantee a certain minimal set of skins to be used that aren't cheats for easy visibility.

I'd like to be able to set static skins, but that might be too much of a change to ask for. All I want is for the default skins to:

1. BE GENERIC! US skins currently are NOT generic. The P-39, and some B-25s are the only US planes right now that you can park on a PTO map and have them not look stupid. The B-17/P-38/P-40/P-47/P-51 default are all very specifically ETO paint jobs (except the CBI P-40, but the skulls are not typical and look too unit specific). For the devs actually reading this, a D-day striped P-51 in the PTO looks as goofy as a winter paint job on a Yak in mid summer. Really.

2. This is far less important than number 1, but, USE BOTH MAP SPECIFIC DEFAULT SKINS! The code already has 2 default spots per plane (winter and summer). Assign each PTO map "winter" or "summer." (really "early" and "late" war). Unlike Il-2, you can make 2 identical maps, and call one winter and one summer, so there is zero work to make both for every map! Assign an early war default skin to "summer" and a late war skin to "winter." Solicit skins from skinning community. Done.

tater

DuxCorvan
08-30-2004, 06:06 PM
I'd like also to be able to replace 'default' skins with other. Some of FB skins date from Il-2 old times and are a little outdated and inaccurate -i.e. Bf 109 ones.

Also, I have a question. Will we finally have hydros in QMB? I don't know why I can't fight AI Arados or Berievs in FB QMB, but if they're putting in Catalinas and Rufes... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Tater-SW-
08-30-2004, 08:47 PM
You'd think all the flyables would be in the QMB, wouldn't ya? Good question.

I understand if they have a reason for defaults being locked up from us (at worst you would be default to your online enemy---not white, or yellow or something easy to spot). What I'd like to see is for them to solicit better default skins, some of the guys who do a lot of skins on il2skins... they're amazingly good.

Also, since there are 2 default already, open it up to a creative use for areas or countries that don't use summer/winter camo.

More important than changing them is to have the defaults be GENERIC instead of obviously from a particular unit. Factory paint jobs or standard military starting points. Dump the D-day stripes, dump the skull head on the P-40, the B-25H, etc. Straight OD (or bare metal for P-38L+, P-51Ds and P-47D bubbles) would be better for ALL US planes, frankly.

tater