PDA

View Full Version : Help get a newbie dogfighting

kouch24
03-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Hi guys,

I have been flying flight sim 2004 for a little while and now am trying my luck with FB. Now I can take-off, fly, turn and even land relatively alright. I can even do some bombing runs with decent success rates (60-70%) but my problem is dogfighting. Even in the second campaign mission with the la-5, I get barely 1 kill in like 3 tries and usually struggle to stay out of stalls and run out of ammo. Can you guys point me to any links or give some advice on how to get better. (btw I am flying on realistic settings with complex engine management off).

kouch24
03-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Hi guys,

I have been flying flight sim 2004 for a little while and now am trying my luck with FB. Now I can take-off, fly, turn and even land relatively alright. I can even do some bombing runs with decent success rates (60-70%) but my problem is dogfighting. Even in the second campaign mission with the la-5, I get barely 1 kill in like 3 tries and usually struggle to stay out of stalls and run out of ammo. Can you guys point me to any links or give some advice on how to get better. (btw I am flying on realistic settings with complex engine management off).

F0_Dark_P
03-02-2004, 03:25 PM
ah it is hard to give an advice on that it comes naturaly but in the dogfight, fly slow and use combat flaps you should not be in front of your bogey:) right, and you should only fire when his *** is filling your windshield:P that i think is the only advice i have

good luck now son:)

pay attention to your thoughts, because they will become your words, pay attention to your words, because they will become your deeds, pay attention to your deeds, because they will become your habits, pay attention to your habits, because they will become your character, pay attention to your character, because it will become your destiny.

talmud

Uri_Firebringer
03-02-2004, 03:47 PM
What does the combat flaps do?

F0_Dark_P
03-02-2004, 04:30 PM
Combat flaps is used to slow down and to turn tighter than oneā's opponent in order to "get on his tail". it is called "turning and burning" or "stall fighting".

pay attention to your thoughts, because they will become your words, pay attention to your words, because they will become your deeds, pay attention to your deeds, because they will become your habits, pay attention to your habits, because they will become your character, pay attention to your character, because it will become your destiny.

talmud

LeChuck59
03-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Technically, I believe combat flaps increase your wing's surface area creating greater lift and increasing drag. Lowering your flaps to combat position will not get you on your opponent's tail, you still have to do that. However, they will slow the plane down if you need to stay on your opponent's tail and the extra lift will lower the speed at which you will stall.

For more information I suggest visiting the sites linked to in the "Sturmovik Essentials..." sticky thread at the top of the main board. Among the great links is a site called SIM HQ, go there. From their main page, enter the Air Combat section, then the Air Combat Corner Library. Read up on everything they've got, it's invaluable information on everything from the mechanics of the planes to basic flight maneuvers.

gates123
03-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Trim, Trim and more Trim!

http://gr.fipu.krasnoyarsk.edu/camms/archive/ww2_fighters/0112/pics/0112_2_1.jpg
Did anyone see that or was it just me?

Capt_Kernel
03-02-2004, 06:54 PM
Dogfighting is somewhat of a misnomer. When I hear someone speak of dogfighting I think about tight turns and aerobatics such as loops and split S's and such. It this sim, whether offline -vs- the computer or more importantly online -vs- human opponents those type of tatics don't always work, depending on your warbird and your opponents warbird. You need to know the strengths of your bird and the strenghts of your opppoents bird and use yours to counter his. There are many tatics of arieal combat, some mentioned above. I think If you check out the website Mudmovers there are some excellent combat tutorials there. Sorry I dont have a link for you but it is a very popular site and easily found with a search. Good Hunting.....S!

http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v18/jsmuz/Manston.jpg