PDA

View Full Version : Merlin engine carburettor (update) and appeal for more info

leadbaloon
07-22-2004, 05:24 AM
First off a big thanks to tfu iain who pointed me in the direction of this site http://members.lycos.co.uk/pwgrieve/newpage2.html I e-mailed them with a picture of the part that I bought at Duxford Flying Legends and asked for any info and they got back to me today. Turns out that my piece isn't off the carburettor, but is off "the boost control which is fitted to the top of the supercharger casing. It contains a piston which, in reaction to the boost pressure, controls the carburettor throttle via a differential assembly fitted on the main control shaft. Its function is to provide automatic control over the boost pressure as the aircraft climbs and descends."

He also send me an exploded diagram showing where the piece goes, how it works and is going to send me a photo when he's next in the workshop showing me exactly where it fits on the engine. I'm delighted.

So what I'm after now is any information on a pilot named LHB Pearce, who was flying Hurricane R4106 (which is the 'plane my piece is off), when it was shot down by 109's on 18th August 1940. I know he joined 32 Squadron in July 1940 and shot down a Dornier 17 on 15th August, and was killed in action aged 27 on 9th April 1941 (though I don't know where, or how, presumably flying rhubarbs over France). Maybe researching 32 squadrons operations during April 1941 would be a good place to start, though I'm not even certain that he was still with the squadron, transfers were commonplace at that time.

Maybe some of the Luftwaffe boys here can provide me with some information about JG 26 and their operations during August of the Battle of Britain, as it was 109's from that Jadgeschwader that shot down "my" Hurricane. I know of one site which was started by someone here that's in my favourites that has a lot of info about the various JG's in the BOB, so I'll be checking there, but it's not been updated for a while.

Phew, anyway, I should be working not wearing out the keyboard here, so I'll sign off. It seems I've suddenly got quite a project on my hands...

Thanks in advance,

leadbaloon

(continuing to spell carburettor with two t's for the sole purpose of winding up tttiger, who can't exactly complain about using too many t's in a word)

leadbaloon
07-22-2004, 05:24 AM
First off a big thanks to tfu iain who pointed me in the direction of this site http://members.lycos.co.uk/pwgrieve/newpage2.html I e-mailed them with a picture of the part that I bought at Duxford Flying Legends and asked for any info and they got back to me today. Turns out that my piece isn't off the carburettor, but is off "the boost control which is fitted to the top of the supercharger casing. It contains a piston which, in reaction to the boost pressure, controls the carburettor throttle via a differential assembly fitted on the main control shaft. Its function is to provide automatic control over the boost pressure as the aircraft climbs and descends."

He also send me an exploded diagram showing where the piece goes, how it works and is going to send me a photo when he's next in the workshop showing me exactly where it fits on the engine. I'm delighted.

So what I'm after now is any information on a pilot named LHB Pearce, who was flying Hurricane R4106 (which is the 'plane my piece is off), when it was shot down by 109's on 18th August 1940. I know he joined 32 Squadron in July 1940 and shot down a Dornier 17 on 15th August, and was killed in action aged 27 on 9th April 1941 (though I don't know where, or how, presumably flying rhubarbs over France). Maybe researching 32 squadrons operations during April 1941 would be a good place to start, though I'm not even certain that he was still with the squadron, transfers were commonplace at that time.

Maybe some of the Luftwaffe boys here can provide me with some information about JG 26 and their operations during August of the Battle of Britain, as it was 109's from that Jadgeschwader that shot down "my" Hurricane. I know of one site which was started by someone here that's in my favourites that has a lot of info about the various JG's in the BOB, so I'll be checking there, but it's not been updated for a while.

Phew, anyway, I should be working not wearing out the keyboard here, so I'll sign off. It seems I've suddenly got quite a project on my hands...

Thanks in advance,

leadbaloon

(continuing to spell carburettor with two t's for the sole purpose of winding up tttiger, who can't exactly complain about using too many t's in a word)

Vladimir_No2
07-22-2004, 10:44 AM
I have been looking for some information on L.H.B. Pearce. It appears that he was in the No249 squadron as well as in the No32 squadron. I could not find anything else but this is my source: http://www.the-battle-of-britain.co.uk/men/p-2.htm
Hope it helps

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v255/vladimir_no2/polishsig.jpg
Der Spaziergang uber Warshau