PDA

View Full Version : Now that Steam allows charging for mod, how about releasing support for AC1-2?

Sushiglutton
04-26-2015, 05:23 PM
I know this belongs in the PC forum, but they are so angry and I'm scared of them :o.

Anyhow Lord Gaben has, in his eternal wisdom, now opened up for modders to charge for their work. The developer gets a cut (slightly less than 75% in Bethesda's case). Wouldn't this be a great opportunity to release mod support for AC1-2 and make a few extra bucks perhaps? I feel that would be better than remasters as the year is so crowded with AC releases anyway.

Think modders could do wonders with those two classics!

VestigialLlama4
04-26-2015, 05:34 PM
Think modders could do wonders with those two classics!

And Ubisoft not get a piece of the pie...do you not know what Ubisoft is filthy PC peasant? ;)

Farlander1991
04-26-2015, 05:36 PM
Just wanted to point out that most of the mod money actually go to Valve, not the mod creator or the game developer. Which is really, really, really weird.

Anyway, you know my stance on mods, I would mod the hell out of all AC games if I could :p

Sushiglutton
04-26-2015, 05:37 PM
And Ubisoft not get a piece of the pie...do you not know what Ubisoft is filthy PC peasant? ;)

Like I said Lord Gaben, bless him, has made sure slices of pie will be distributed to all corners of the PC-kingdom. In fact Ubi will get the largest slice.

VestigialLlama4
04-26-2015, 05:39 PM
Like I said Lord Gaben, bless him, has made sure slices of pie will be distributed to all corners of the PC-kingdom. In fact Ubi will get the largest slice.

For Ubisoft its not about the largest slice so much as the whole pie...

Sushiglutton
04-26-2015, 05:41 PM
Just wanted to point out that most of the mod money actually go to Valve, not the mod creator or the game developer. Which is really, really, really weird.

Anyway, you know my stance on mods, I would mod the hell out of all AC games if I could :p

Are you sure? The way I understood it the dev decides what percentage the modder should get. Valve and the dev then split the remains, with Valve charging their normal microtransaction rate.

For Ubisoft its not about the largest slice so much as the whole pie...

The pie is a lie!

There hasn't been any pie until now. Lord Gaben just invented the spoon!

Farlander1991
04-26-2015, 05:46 PM
Are you sure? The way I understood it the dev decides what percentage the modder should get. Valve and the dev then split the remains, with Valve charging their normal microtransaction rate.

Well, as sure as I can be based on available information of a deal that nobody seems to know the exact details of :p (with the exception of the players getting 25% of the whole cut)

wvstolzing
04-26-2015, 06:17 PM
My admittedly rough 'impression' is the same; the modder gets 25%, the rest is up to Valve & the publisher; though Valve seems to be taking the lion's share in any case.

I think 'moddability' has to be incorporated into a game from the ground up; with lots of parameters exposed from the get-go in plaintext files. As far as I know, *nothing* in AC is exposed like that, in any of its incarnations.

Sushiglutton
04-26-2015, 06:28 PM
My admittedly rough 'impression' is the same; the modder gets 25%, the rest is up to Valve & the publisher; though Valve seems to be taking the lion's share in any case.

I think 'moddability' has to be incorporated into a game from the ground up; with lots of parameters exposed from the get-go in plaintext files. As far as I know, *nothing* in AC is exposed like that, in any of its incarnations.

So you are saying that they can't they just push a big red button at Ubi HQ? Damn, that's unfortunate :(.

Farlander1991
04-26-2015, 06:49 PM
Well, every game's moddable theoretically. Something like official mod support is indeed very tricky to do and has to be thought of in advance, but all Ubi needs to do really is release something that will allow to unpack and pack in resources properly (as for everything that's not related to textures, that's the biggest problem right now), and the community will take the rest by itself :D I mean, even without that the community ported Copernicus Conspiracy from PS3 to PC, as well as unlocked what's possible from AC2 cut missions.