PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Chronicles: China?

Zero_Regen
04-22-2015, 10:31 PM
It's cool to see Shao Jun again and get some backstory on her character and also to see what she did after meeting Ezio. Sadly, that's the only thing I enjoyed while playing. I was pretty hyped for it, but I just didn't have a fun time playing. I guess sidescroll just isn't my thing.

D.I.D.
04-22-2015, 10:47 PM
It's not side-scrolling's fault. Play Rayman Legends' stealth levels (and the rest of it), or Gunpoint, or Mark of the Ninja.

It's not a bad game. It's alright. Can't say it's fun, though.

Needs more of a sense of something puzzle-ish about the defences and guard patterns. There's a touch of that, in terms of figuring out how to get through unseen, but it needs much more to make that concept really shine. It could do with more flipping between "bright"-feeling fast sections and "dark" feeling slow sections.

Nice art, but I'm not sure the trilogy at 10-12 hours total is going to justify a £24 asking price.

Xstantin
04-22-2015, 10:48 PM
The artsyle was the best thing about it imo. Just a nice small game to kill time if you're not really concerned with plot and characters' interaction :p

Zero_Regen
04-22-2015, 10:58 PM
It's not side-scrolling's fault. Play Rayman Legends' stealth levels (and the rest of it), or Gunpoint, or Mark of the Ninja.

It's not a bad game. It's alright. Can't say it's fun, though.

Needs more of a sense of something puzzle-ish about the defences and guard patterns. There's a touch of that, in terms of figuring out how to get through unseen, but it needs much more to make that concept really shine. It could do with more flipping between "bright"-feeling fast sections and "dark" feeling slow sections.

Nice art, but I'm not sure the trilogy at 10-12 hours total is going to justify a £24 asking price.

I guess I just prefer AC in 3D form

Fatal-Feit
04-22-2015, 11:14 PM
It's an average game. I didn't complete it, but I had some fun w/ it.

The narrative is dull, I mean, it's as bad as Discovery, but there's plenty of history and lore to get invested in for fans who're into that stuff.

Maybe it's my lack of experience w/ modern 2D games, but I had some fun w/ the gameplay. Hell, its stealth is better than some of the main games. :p The aesthetics and animations are beautiful (I love the artistic kill animations and effects). It's essentially everything you expect AC to be in 2.5D form and that's a cool transition but unfortunately it doesn't feel anymore inspiring than that. Speaking of which, I'm glad the combat didn't have counter kills. It's a good sign for future installments.

Can the HUD/Menu designers work on Victory or future main games please?! I mean, I find it a little embarrassing how much more clean and intuitive they are in CC than Unity (although Unity is a step up from the last few games).

The asking price may be too much, but if you got it for free, it's worth checking out if you want to kill time.

RA503
04-22-2015, 11:59 PM
This game is freaking hard(I think if this contributed to the bad reviews that this game is receiving),I in sequence 9,the 8 made me tearing hair out,is surprising big as well,I tought will be a DLC standard like dead kings.

The historical part of the plot is good,but the plot is a bit meh,the revenge crap that we already knows,and cliche things like '' my quest for vengeace made me do bad things''

I already spoiled myself and know that :

Ezio give the box to Shao jun because he know that she will be captured and they will killed her if she don't have nothing,is implied that he agreed this with the surviving assassin master in china.

The box is stealed by templars in the end,and is bad explored,maybe it go to india ? I have to collect all the manuscript to know more...

melbye82
04-23-2015, 12:13 AM
there are some pretty great things there, but the combat is awful. I try to avoid that. Also the voice-actor for Ezio is ridiculous, It is an insult to real Ezio and Roger Craig Smith

cawatrooper9
04-23-2015, 12:36 AM
Meh. It's okay, but it's not Assassins Creed to me. I'm never one to complain about additional content (I know, I'm a shameless consumer) but I REALLY REALLY hope that Chronicles doesn't become the go to for the more obscure settings, while the main series becomes Assassins Creed: Euro Tour.

RA503
04-23-2015, 01:06 AM
This is the question,combat is crap but I think is intentional to focus stealth.

RVSage
04-23-2015, 01:07 AM
AC Chronicles China:

A game an excellent game in the making.. Zero game play bugs.. Everything is so smooth.. The game play with focus on stealth is terrific.. And the game is definitely longer than Dead kings or any other DLC for that matter.. It is actually a complete game... Enjoyable.. My first 2.5D experience is fabulous..

Pros

Excellent stealth game play.. really enjoyed it.. The brawler combat is pretty good too..
Art style is gorgeous.. Cant wait for colorful India
2.5D does not make it feel like a 2D platformer.. rather brings it close to 3D navigation in many ways
The length of the game makes it worth the 10 dollars (I got it free with season pass).. Certainly buying India and Russia.. Take my money now!!!!!

Cons
Really minor cons from my point of view

More graphic options(like AA) would be nice.. But dunno if it will affect the art style .. If so.. I dont need those options.. I love the art style
The story again lacks the punch of a story like black flag.. The well known revenge and its backlashes formula.. Expecting better in India and Russia

Overall loving it.. Guess I am half way through it.. Job well done :cool::cool::D:D

PS: While views are being in this thread.. in a straight and nice manner .. in PC forums.. "This thing crashed ".."" **** ubisoft like rants already started.. Even though I am a PC owner.. I would rather discuss here than there..

Xstantin
04-23-2015, 01:46 AM
This game is freaking hard(I think if this contributed to the bad reviews that this game is receiving),I in sequence 9,the 8 made me tearing hair out

I had trouble with some "escape the burning building" sequences but I guess every Assassin needs to do it now and then :rolleyes:

RVSage
04-23-2015, 07:11 AM
This game is freaking hard(I think if this contributed to the bad reviews that this game is receiving),I in sequence 9,the 8 made me tearing hair out,is surprising big as well,I tought will be a DLC standard like dead kings.

It was not so hard.. some missions were as hard as ACII altair armor missions.. But again that is me.. finished he entire game in about 4-5 hours.... Not bad... Slightly longer than DLCs..

pirate1802
04-23-2015, 09:11 AM
I just started playing it last night. My overall thoughts are that It is a fun little game, not as sharp as Mark of the Ninja, or the better 3D AC games, but definitely a hell of a lot fun than Unity or Black Flag 1.5. Definitely worth playing if you are into sidescrollers. Stealth is good and the art style is beautiful. Story nonexistant and voice acting bad. Combat is currently very hard but probably will get easier once I unlock more health bars.

Will write a longer version once I finish it.

VestigialLlama4
04-23-2015, 09:55 AM
They can't even rip-off Mark of the Ninja properly, the stealth and systems are even more simpler, easier than in that game. And its full of incredible amounts of silliness. In Mark of the Ninja, you had a simple light/shadow dichotomy. Lanterns, lights and lightning were dangerous and immediately gave your position here. In this game, Shao just has to stay away from line-of-sight, so she can stand illuminated by lantern, hang upside down from ceiling and cast a f--king shadow on the wall and the guards ignore her because she doesn't fit their trapezoid shooting out of their heads. The 2and a Half D also destroys immersion, since Shao moves to the sides, but its weird that the guards couldn't see diagonally. Keeping it purely 2D would make it work better.

The combat is meaningless, Shao has a Hidden Blade in her boot, later gets a sword and what's the point. What are the advantages of the Hidden Blade over the Sword? Can you choose which to use. It's just meaningless to the nth degree. Likewise the game keeps introducing weird mechanics like the teleport spam helix thing (A rip off of a gimmick there in Mark of the Ninja) too late when it could be more useful at an earlier stage.

The "art style" is just so much painted kitsch. The story was kind of interesting which makes me wish that this was a full game instead. It's still weird, Shao Jun feels bad about revenge and the reason for that is...she's a woman and women don't get to have revenge like men do. I mean it's weird that she says that Ezio tells her vengeance is hollow. It's like they don't know how to tell stories anymore.

And for god sake stop ripping of AC2 music for the entire soundtrack. I don't get when Ubisoft decided to make it fetish music (in Unity and Rogue and this), since Revelations, AC3 and Black Flag at least came up with new soundtracks. It's weird to the nth degree.

pacmanate
04-23-2015, 10:23 AM
I haven't finished it yet but:

Pros:

1. Nice artistic style
2. Lots of lore
3. Fluid Animations

Cons:

1. Story sucks
2. Shao's voice actor is bad - Ezio... why.. just why?
3. Combat is way to hard and slow

melbye82
04-23-2015, 05:05 PM
The combat in this game is seriously broken, i am at a point where i have to fight and the game just doesn't want to block. I have tried and tried to counter but every time i hit the block-button it fails.

D.I.D.
04-23-2015, 05:24 PM
The combat in this game is seriously broken, i am at a point where i have to fight and the game just doesn't want to block. I have tried and tried to counter but every time i hit the block-button it fails.

You have to push the stick towards the enemy to block melee, and only the button to dodge missiles. It works perfectly for me on PC, anyway.

I really like the combat. I think it's well placed as a two-strikes-and-you're-out fallback if stealth fails, and when I've decided to just kill everyone at times it's been really rewarding to kill four guards in a row.

SixKeys
04-23-2015, 06:56 PM
It's meh. On PC the keyboard controls are atrocious and you can't rebind them unless you want to mess around in the .ini files. After you change them, the game still shows the default buttons for every action. This wouldn't be a huge problem except that the tutorials apparently have a time limit. In the one where Ezio teaches you how to dodge projectiles, I couldn't find the right button in time and he said something like: "Perhaps the heat of battle will teach you to react faster". Then the tutorial disappeared and suddenly every guard was on full alert even though I had been hidden just moments before. Naturally I died, not having been prepared for this. I expected to respawn in the tutorial, but nope. There's no way to get back to the tutorial unless you want to replay the entire level.

http://persephonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/scroob.gif

Also ran into a few other weird detection problems. I successfully sneaked past a guard in the second level, then accidentally fell into a pit. Respawned right in front of the guard, who naturally raised the alarm. I don't know if it's the game itself or if they just didn't bother to spend much time on the PC version, as usual.

The voice-acting isn't great, but I was surprised to find myself actually liking Shao Jun's voice. I still wish they'd have gotten the one from Embers since she was the original, but this actress sounds fine.

The art is pretty, but it can't save the game alone.

If they really are using these 2.5D games to measure people's excitement for new settings, it feels like a doomed attempt from the start. The game is getting lukewarm reviews all over the place and everyone seems to think it's just a cheap Mark of the Ninja ripoff. I'm glad I got it for free.

Xstantin
04-23-2015, 07:05 PM
If they really are using these 2.5D games to measure people's excitement for new settings, it feels like a doomed attempt from the start. The game is getting lukewarm reviews all over the place and everyone seems to think it's just a cheap Mark of the Ninja ripoff. I'm glad I got it for free.

I think surveys still work better for that tbh since there's more variety to these lists. I might skip India and although I'm still interested in Orelov one personally I don't really expect much from the story after Chronicles China and the whole Anastasia thingy.

SixKeys
04-23-2015, 07:13 PM
I doubt I'll bother with the Russia and India ones since they are going to be 10 bucks each. I would be pissed if I had paid that much for China.

Markaccus
04-23-2015, 07:14 PM
Well, a quick read through of this thread has not convinced me to change my mind. I will not be playing these games. In general it all seems a bit "meh"

Shahkulu101
04-23-2015, 07:17 PM
Looks like I'll be saving my money for the new Wolfenstein DLC that comes out soon.

wvstolzing
04-23-2015, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I won't have to boot into Windows for these, not that I was expecting anything more.

Becerikli
04-23-2015, 07:46 PM
I didn't have much time but managed to squeeze in about 20 minutes game time. Seems like a fun platformer, doesn't quite have that Assassin's Creed feel to it, but that's not necesserily a bad thing. I just can't understand why they had to change the voice actor for Ezio Auditore. Roger Craig Smith was so good as Ezio. It's one thing if the actor's not available, but according to Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/ezio-sure-sounds-different-in-the-new-assassins-creed-1699516535), he wasn't even asked. In Chronicles: China he tries to sound like Smith, but just sounds awful.

VestigialLlama4
04-23-2015, 07:53 PM
Roger Craig Smith was so good as Ezio. It's one thing if the actor's not available, but according to Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/ezio-sure-sounds-different-in-the-new-assassins-creed-1699516535), he wasn't even asked. In Chronicles: China he tries to sound like Smith, but just sounds awful.

That shows what's wrong with ubisoft, they no longer seem to value their brand in terms of quality. They look at these games as cheapjack titles and don't even bother asking for the original VA because they're afraid he'll ask for too much money. Instead they used a weird electronic guitar variation of the Ac2 theme as the main soundtrack instead of giving Shao Jun her own soundtrack.

That said some of the dialogue in the tutorials are really bad: "You got it. Here ends the lesson". Actually the dialogue in CHRONICLES is really inane. My favorite is these two guards:
-> Guard 1: Suppose someone sneaks past us and I can't see it.
-> Guard 2: You need to watch my back
-> Guard 1: I'll watch yours if you watch mine.

D.I.D.
04-23-2015, 07:55 PM
It's meh. On PC the keyboard controls are atrocious and you can't rebind them unless you want to mess around in the .ini files. After you change them, the game still shows the default buttons for every action. This wouldn't be a huge problem except that the tutorials apparently have a time limit. In the one where Ezio teaches you how to dodge projectiles, I couldn't find the right button in time and he said something like: "Perhaps the heat of battle will teach you to react faster". Then the tutorial disappeared and suddenly every guard was on full alert even though I had been hidden just moments before. Naturally I died, not having been prepared for this. I expected to respawn in the tutorial, but nope. There's no way to get back to the tutorial unless you want to replay the entire level.

http://persephonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/scroob.gif

Ship level had an annoyance for me when my cat nudged her head against my hand while I was aiming at the second of two vital ropes. I'd just collected the only two throwing knives from the nearby knife bucket, so that left me unable to continue and the only thing to do was to restart the entire level. Not sure what the value is in very low limits of ammo - as long as I can only carry low amounts of it, it doesn't matter if the bucket contains 200 knives or infinity knives given that I'm going to have to leave it behind to advance.

m4r-k7
04-23-2015, 08:24 PM
That shows what's wrong with ubisoft, they no longer seem to value their brand in terms of quality. They look at these games as cheapjack titles and don't even bother asking for the original VA because they're afraid he'll ask for too much money. Instead they used a weird electronic guitar variation of the Ac2 theme as the main soundtrack instead of giving Shao Jun her own soundtrack.

That said some of the dialogue in the tutorials are really bad: "You got it. Here ends the lesson". Actually the dialogue in CHRONICLES is really inane. My favorite is these two guards:
-> Guard 1: Suppose someone sneaks past us and I can't see it.
-> Guard 2: You need to watch my back
-> Guard 1: I'll watch yours if you watch mine.

Honestly what did you expect? For Ubisoft its nothing more than a cash grab, enticing players to play the game based on their awesome settings. You could see from the pre-release gameplay that it was basic, bland and not that fun.

SixKeys
04-23-2015, 08:26 PM

To be fair, it's not like they've only recently started replacing actors. Altaļr, Subject 16, even Ezio had a different voice actor in the handheld title. They probably didn't think it was a large enough part in Chronicles to hire RCS back.

Farlander1991
04-23-2015, 08:30 PM
To be fair, it's not like they've only recently started replacing actors. Altaļr, Subject 16, even Ezio had a different voice actor in the handheld title. They probably didn't think it was a large enough part in Chronicles to hire RCS back.

Altair didn't even get to have at least one voice shared between any of the four games he was in (though, for Chronicles he's voiced only for the iOS port, but still a different actor). Poor guy.

wvstolzing
04-23-2015, 08:30 PM
Is it *so bad*, that it makes you miss that made-up accent?

I mean, RCS is great, but I can't stand the way Ezio is voiced in English.

SixKeys
04-23-2015, 10:08 PM
Is it *so bad*, that it makes you miss that made-up accent?

I mean, RCS is great, but I can't stand the way Ezio is voiced in English.

The new made-up accent is even worse.

pirate1802
04-24-2015, 06:10 AM
You have to push the stick towards the enemy to block melee, and only the button to dodge missiles. It works perfectly for me on PC, anyway.

I really like the combat. I think it's well placed as a two-strikes-and-you're-out fallback if stealth fails, and when I've decided to just kill everyone at times it's been really rewarding to kill four guards in a row.

How do you even do that? I die everytime I'm facing more than one guard at a time. And god forbid if they are facing me on both sides. I block one dude's attack from one side and the other guy swipes at me and I die.

D.I.D.
04-24-2015, 10:10 AM
How do you even do that? I die everytime I'm facing more than one guard at a time. And god forbid if they are facing me on both sides. I block one dude's attack from one side and the other guy swipes at me and I die.

You can never kill a guard with just an X (light) attack. The Y is the finisher. If you can get them in a line in front of you, they can usually be taken out one by one, since the line of sight for air weapons is blocked. If there's anyone on a diagonal line on a different elevation, you're dead.

If you're surrounded, blocking is fast enough that you can often block one and then the other, but the roll move can get you out of trouble and get them all to one side.

I'm by no means consistently successful with this, but I'm getting Golds for the Brawler behaviour quite a lot. I've had Golds across all the columns, but never by design. It's usually only because my stealth play went wrong, and I stopped caring about how I was playing.

TR.Misterscruff
04-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Personally didnt like it, said it looked poor when it was released just another stop gap but tried seeing as it was free. Played maybe 20 minutes or so and deleted it !

Xstantin
04-24-2015, 12:45 PM

I think I died more times in Chronicles than I ever did in main games. Something something revenge hits or whatever it was, I was surprised I managed to kill the scripted target without taking damage

THE_JOKE_KING33
04-24-2015, 03:53 PM
Combat was terrible and the story was near non-existant, but I had fun with the game overall.

KILLJOHNNY5
04-25-2015, 06:23 PM
It's cool to see Shao Jun again and get some backstory on her character and also to see what she did after meeting Ezio. Sadly, that's the only thing I enjoyed while playing. I was pretty hyped for it, but I just didn't have a fun time playing. I guess sidescroll just isn't my thing.

sorry I have no idea if I'm doing this correctly or not but for the love of God can please somebody tell me what the hell the four numbers scattered over the levels mean ?first one is0322 I just found another one to 1020 a chirping noise in the background numbers can be seen only I eagle vision I'm so lost

RA503
04-25-2015, 07:18 PM
is a bit exagerated say that the plot is inexistent,if casual people read something like that will think that the don't have plot like super smash bross,is very cool they find a way to introduce the Templars conspiracy mythology in the chinese context in the form of the ''Tigers'' , I collect all the manuscript and they tell the entire life of shao jun,since the time of concubine to assassin.

The post credit scene is awesome, if you have the patience to wait :

A older shao as assassin mentor is a bit of a give way to a asian setting main game (I don't know if ubsoft think that a japan/china main game is mainstrean or not).

I in the way to have all animus fragments but I very disapointing that they don't unlock nothing in the database(at least until now) like in Rogue,I don't know if I beat the game on plus and plus hard because if don't unlock nothing for the lore I don't know if the efford matter.

D.I.D.
04-25-2015, 07:28 PM
is a bit exagerated say that the plot is inexistent,if casual people read something like that will think that the don't have plot like super smash bross,is very cool they find a way to introduce the Templars conspiracy mythology in the chinese context in the form of the ''Tigers'' , I collect all the manuscript and they tell the entire life of shao jun,since the time of concubine to assassin.

The post credit scene is awesome, if you have the patience to wait :

A older shao as assassin mentor is a bit of a give way to a asian setting main game (I don't know if ubsoft think that a japan/china main game is mainstrean or not).

I in the way to have all animus fragments but I very disapointing that they don't unlock nothing in the database(at least until now) like in Rogue,I don't know if I beat the game on plus and plus hard because if don't unlock nothing for the lore I don't know if the efford matter.

I think it's a shame to have most of the story detail be in scrolls, though. The big strength of this format is that it could be very rich in story, since you don't need expensive cutscenes or even animation, and there's a lot more room to do things with just audio dialogue and voiceover. After Valiant Hearts and Child Of Light did such a nice job of delivering story, it would be good to see that taken even further. Chronicles could be like a living comic book with a few big changes. I'd love to see more use of the 2.5D as well, particularly the potential of the 90-degree rotation.

The story we actually see in the gameplay is very poor. They try and make it sound like this master stroke that Shao Jun (not really a spoiler since it happens 1 minute into the game, but whatever) gets herself captured and loses the box, and it's not at all. The enemies are a bit "MWAHAHAHA", as well :)