PDA

View Full Version : Question for joystick experts.....

mortoma
05-08-2004, 08:46 PM
I may be wrong but I have concluded there are basically three types of joysticks. Tell me if I'm wrong.
1. Pure analog potentiometer joysticks that
connects to older gameport jack. Analog voltages
are converted to digital data by your sound card or onboard chip if you use onboard audio only.
This type is not popular and barely available anymore. Only three axes and two buttons maximum

2. "Digital" joystick ( sold and claimed to be digital by manufacturer ) that still has potentiometers but the signals are converted in the stick by a small circuit board to digital
data and sent through USB cable to USB port in serial form. But has many more hats and function buttons possible. It's only really digital "after the fact".

3. Real digital joystick that does not use analog pots at all but instead uses ( can't remember what you call them ) optical wheels
with windows that a photoelectric beam passes through to detect movement. So the signal is digital ones and zeros to start with. Of course also has many other function hats and programmable buttons available.

Am I right?? I want to buy a new joystick and want a true digital one with no pots. I'm tired of pots getting "scratchy" and sending bad signals. I have trouble with the throttle axis especially, as far as getting it and keeping it calibrated and the jerky variations from bad pots are causing my throttle settings to change a small but irritating amount. Also have trouble with my throttle not always returning to zero throttle levels or 100/110 levels. I've always used analog gameport joysticks and used the keyboard for all my functions in games. I have also noticed you can hardly find them these days anyway!!! I'm afraid if I buy a "digital" one, it may still use pots despite the USB interface and the info on the box may not reveal the truth. If I'm correct, I want to know which ones are true digital........

mortoma
05-08-2004, 08:46 PM
I may be wrong but I have concluded there are basically three types of joysticks. Tell me if I'm wrong.
1. Pure analog potentiometer joysticks that
connects to older gameport jack. Analog voltages
are converted to digital data by your sound card or onboard chip if you use onboard audio only.
This type is not popular and barely available anymore. Only three axes and two buttons maximum

2. "Digital" joystick ( sold and claimed to be digital by manufacturer ) that still has potentiometers but the signals are converted in the stick by a small circuit board to digital
data and sent through USB cable to USB port in serial form. But has many more hats and function buttons possible. It's only really digital "after the fact".

3. Real digital joystick that does not use analog pots at all but instead uses ( can't remember what you call them ) optical wheels
with windows that a photoelectric beam passes through to detect movement. So the signal is digital ones and zeros to start with. Of course also has many other function hats and programmable buttons available.

Am I right?? I want to buy a new joystick and want a true digital one with no pots. I'm tired of pots getting "scratchy" and sending bad signals. I have trouble with the throttle axis especially, as far as getting it and keeping it calibrated and the jerky variations from bad pots are causing my throttle settings to change a small but irritating amount. Also have trouble with my throttle not always returning to zero throttle levels or 100/110 levels. I've always used analog gameport joysticks and used the keyboard for all my functions in games. I have also noticed you can hardly find them these days anyway!!! I'm afraid if I buy a "digital" one, it may still use pots despite the USB interface and the info on the box may not reveal the truth. If I'm correct, I want to know which ones are true digital........

mortoma
05-09-2004, 07:59 AM
Can anybody help with this question and give me an idea of which Joysticks are really digital ( with no potentiometers?? )

lil_labbit
05-09-2004, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about analog/digital.
It's the quality of components that matter (against price ofcause). A good Analog Pot meter would last at least 10 years IMHO.

I had a Logitech Strike Force 3D http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif dont buy that one (no center at all and most die within a couple of months).

Now I'm using a Saitek X45 and a Saitek cyborg evo (yup they both work) because I got used to the swivel-type stick. Both work extremely well.

http://members.home.nl/lil.labbit/lilseesya.jpg
Night is better than Day

buggggggged
05-09-2004, 09:02 AM
I agree, the quality is key. my old saitek x36 has pots, and keybaord and mouse emulation where the keybaord and mouse conect to the stick itself. great equitment. the update of that is the x 45 which is much more advanced with usb, and the old x36 is just as good, only more of a pain to set up. CH makes good stuff.they have been around a long time and have had to change technology as they go, but thecr stuff was always good. logitech I don't think was

Heavy_Weather
05-09-2004, 09:03 AM
CH Pro: http://www.provantage.com/buy-110chpu-ch-shopping.htm

"To fly a combat mission is not a trip under the moon. Every attack, every bombing is a dance with death."
- Serafima Amsova-Taranenko: Noggle, Ann (1994): A Dance with Death.

mortoma
05-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Thanks, glad someone finally responded. This will help me make a decision.