PDA

View Full Version : time space continuum of linking books

lotusvixen
01-04-2004, 03:19 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew if linking books take you to a particular time-space coordinate, or if it's just a particular space in present time. I mean, considering that the DRC-approved linking books to , say Gahreesen, takes one to a slightly different place that the Relto linking book does?

lotusvixen
01-04-2004, 03:19 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew if linking books take you to a particular time-space coordinate, or if it's just a particular space in present time. I mean, considering that the DRC-approved linking books to , say Gahreesen, takes one to a slightly different place that the Relto linking book does?

x-Zandi-x
01-04-2004, 04:57 PM
I think it is a matter of..
The age and the people there are more evolved then on other ages.

jasontravis
01-05-2004, 12:57 AM
The parallel universes are like pages stacked up on top of each other. A word on one page might be in the same exact place as another on another page, but they don't "meet" or see each other.

If you can imagine a drop of water hitting the page and causing the ink of a word to soak through to the page below it, that is what happens when you link.

If you drilled a hole through all the pages of the book, that would be the star fissure.

This whole issue with people hacking the game...removing files from the directory (or pages from the book) causing the world to behave erratically or become unstable is quite synchronus as well.

SteveCrid
01-05-2004, 09:05 AM
I too am curious about how linking books work. My original belief was that there was some kind of "master book", which describes the age itself. Then there are linking books, which refer back to this master book. The age can't be modified from the linking book, only the master book.

But I'm confused by the notion of a personal copy of a linking book, which links to a copy of the age. Not by the idea itself, but by what we find when we get in there.

Take Gahreesen for instance. When I link there there is a DRC sign there. Well unless the DRC have learned how to modify an age's description, I assume that sign got there by somebody holding the sign while linking in.

But why is the same sign in every copy of the age? Is the "master book" perhaps the one that describes what's in every copy of that age? Did the DRC perhaps get the sign in there by linking using the master book?

Which then begs the question: what happens if somebody links using the master book and changes something? (Moves the sign, or changes the wording on it?) If somebody is in a copy of that age at the time, does the sign move/change as if by magic?

Also, what happens if you remove something from a COPY of an age? Presumably you only change the copy, not the original, or any other copy. So presumably it's fairly easy to get food - just make multiple copies of an age containing the food you want. (Actually HARVESTING the food is another matter).

What worries me is if an age has agressive inhabitants. If by accident a linking book was left in the master age, couldn't the inhabitants of each COPY of that age attempt to link back? Wouldn't that be a virtually limitless army?

x-Zandi-x
01-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Since I have not been online with Uru I haven't seen the DRC sign.

I can tell you that if you have plaied the game and read the books then you would know that you can take things into ages. whether it be in a backpak,holding the item in your hand, as long as it is on your person then you can take any kind of items to and from an age.

You are rite when you said about the 'descriptive books' and the 'Linking books'. The linking books are just that, they link to an age yes, they also have key words that link to the Descriptive book so that the linking books will work as a link to the age that is writen in the descriptive book.
The descrpitive books are much larger and whaigh more then just a little linking book, that is why they carry around linking books.

As for the hostile civilians...
If the council would link to the age and find it not suitable then they would simply link back and burn the descrpitive book that describes that age.

As for making copies of a descriptive book and then changing the copy, it would not effect the original book, instead it might just link you do an age that is similer then the original but it would be changed in some ways.

Again this refers to the BoA (book of atrus)
when Gehn (Atrus' father) changes the descriptive book for age 37 and it links to a totaly new age, similer to the original 37th age but different in the sence that all Gehn had built on the original 37 age was gone and the inhabitants were somewhat hastile.

[This message was edited by x-Zandi-x on Mon January 05 2004 at 08:25 AM.]

SteveCrid
01-07-2004, 03:56 AM
The sign is in Uru Prime too. It's inside the first door. Asking you to go and do something.

Morporku
01-07-2004, 04:46 PM
The sign is also on all of the DRC journals lying around.