PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to foil a scissors move?

Oso2323
03-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Question from one of the less experienced/talented ones: what's the best way to foil a scissors move? Let's say you're in a Spit and your opponent (AI 109 or 190) pulls the usual low speed scissors move. Sometimes this will throw me. Is it better to gain altitude and then make another pass? Sometimes I'm able to drop speed and just hang on his tail. (Yes I know that no real 109/190 driver would go low & slow)

And what if you're the 109/190 driver flying against a p-39 or yak? Personally, I find it a lot harder to fly the bn'z planes in this game (with the p-51 being particularly frustrating). Of course, it would help if I was a good enough shot to pull this off.

Oso2323
03-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Question from one of the less experienced/talented ones: what's the best way to foil a scissors move? Let's say you're in a Spit and your opponent (AI 109 or 190) pulls the usual low speed scissors move. Sometimes this will throw me. Is it better to gain altitude and then make another pass? Sometimes I'm able to drop speed and just hang on his tail. (Yes I know that no real 109/190 driver would go low & slow)

And what if you're the 109/190 driver flying against a p-39 or yak? Personally, I find it a lot harder to fly the bn'z planes in this game (with the p-51 being particularly frustrating). Of course, it would help if I was a good enough shot to pull this off.

XyZspineZyX
03-22-2004, 11:00 PM
Depends.

How much speed do you have? If you have a lot more than your foe, you can opt out; just point the nose up and go.

If you've been well and truly "sucked into" the scissors, and your speed is low, you're committed to it, unless you have enough alt under you to pick a time to just try and Split-S the hell on out of there (and in so doing, give the enemy a chance to follow you).

The key to a scissors is to keep as much speed as you can get; try some nose low reversals; a little dip down can get you back a little bit of energy for later.

At some point, you're gonna want to seal the deal and get that pesky enemy out in front. If you have enough energy to do so, here's where you can raise the nose as high as you can as you reverse and roll over the top, like a half or 3/4 barrel roll; if you don't spin out, and the enemy is caught by surprise, he may zip by below you and out in front, then you can drop down on his tail.

Don't be surprised if another scissors develops though.