PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay is promising but it's the countdown that makes it less tactical

Bahger1960
04-03-2015, 05:51 PM
I am quite impressed by the two maps I have seen and the dynamic qualities of some of the gameplay and I am under no illusion that this version of the game will return to its pre-console roots as a tactical PC-based FPS.

However, it is the mission countdown timer system rather than the gameplay that appears to make these missions over-caffeinated and far too much of a mad dash for the finish line. The missions all play out as if everyone is rushing to defuse a nuke that will destroy an entire city in one minute and the planning phase, too, is far too manic. I think this aspect more than any other betrays some nervousness within the dev team or Ubi (more likely the latter) about whether the game is adrenalized enough. As many of us know, this is how promising shooters get turned into dopey fragfests.

This is can be SO easily fixed as follows:

- Give the attacking team control of when to initiate the mission start timer. This will enable human factors to govern the length of time available for planning and setup of both assault and defense tactics. By rushing to start the mission, the attackers might gain the advantage of surprise but their assault will be purely opportunistic. On the other hand, if the attackers take as much time as they need (within a limit of, say, 5 minutes) to organize a careful, realistic multi-axis tactical breach, it will also enable the defenders to organise their defense in more depth. This will influence the tactical quality of mission execution enormously and please those of us who want to wring some realistic CQB tactics out of this game.

What I am suggesting is about realism. In CQB situations of this kind, it is always the attackers who initiate the action unless (this is an important exception that could also be integrated into tactical gameplay) the defenders shoot a hostage. I see absolutely no reason why every mission has to be such a desperate race against the clock when recon, setup, and initiation of the assault are what constitute the attacking team's initiative before a shot is fired. As I say, I think the desperate speed of the gameplay as currently depicted represents nervousness amongst the suits about whether the game will cater sufficiently to the ADHD crowd. I do not think that this kind of over-adrenalized gameplay is necessarily hard-coded into the DNA of this promising game and if it is, I worry about its longevity after the kiddies have moved on to the next shiny object. At the very least, I would ask the devs to consider the above suggestion of putting mission start (within a limit) in the attacking player's control as a game-mode option.

Uizdo
04-03-2015, 08:54 PM
I agree that the timer is too short, but I think that there's one thing that can be done to, instead of increasing the time to a longer amount, just make the initial conflict all the more important.

Instead of having the timer start when the attackers spawn in, have it start when they fire their first round, blow up their first breaching charge, enter the building, or something similar. This still keeps the pressure on once they enter the building, but they get to spread out more and look at the building for some more time before it starts. Although, it might be best to have the timer start anyway after a minute of so after their boots are on the ground if they're not doing anything.

Bahger.P.
04-03-2015, 09:11 PM
I agree that this approach would work, too, and make the game more tactical and less of a timed deathmatch.

JonathanRL
04-03-2015, 10:05 PM
The problem with that approach is that there may be some griever who fires at once or just some person who randomly fires at the start of a round. That happens all the time in this kind of games and I doubt having a shot start the timer will change this. The idea itself is not bad - in fact I kinda like it - but it will never survive first contact with the average online player. For this reason, I feel that the timer has to go.

Uizdo
04-03-2015, 10:10 PM
If there's no timer defenders have absolutely no goal other than kill all the attackers, and doesn't work well for gameplay, as their goals end up being kind of up in the air. Why bother fortifying a position when having a bunch of booby traps will net the kills which are the only thing you need to win? The timer is there as a secondary goal for the defenders, like how the hostage is a secondary for the attackers.

dxxPacmanxxb
04-04-2015, 12:29 AM
Why are you already playing? I can't play the game yet

mau5eum
04-04-2015, 03:01 AM
For the millionth time, three minutes is plenty of time.

tearfulrelic86
04-04-2015, 04:07 AM
Every mode has a timer?

JonathanRL
04-04-2015, 06:01 AM
For the millionth time, three minutes is plenty of time.

The repetition of something does not make it true.

And no, it is not plenty of time as seen in the latest Twitch stream. Due to delays because of enemy opposition and breaching tactics there where few instances where they would succeed in rescuing the hostage even if they got to her in time.

mau5eum
04-04-2015, 06:58 AM

Just as denying the truth of something doesn't make it false.

And no, it is not plenty of time as seen in the latest Twitch stream.

The people playing in those streams were, honestly, terrible.

Due to delays because of enemy opposition and breaching tactics there where few instances where they would succeed in rescuing the hostage even if they got to her in time.

So because the defenders were doing their job and the attackers didn't do theirs as well as they could have the timer is not sufficient?

Please.

BotToone
04-04-2015, 11:37 AM

And no, it is not plenty of time as seen in the latest Twitch stream. Due to delays because of enemy opposition and breaching tactics there where few instances where they would succeed in rescuing the hostage even if they got to her in time.

That's not a very fair representation of if the timer will work. You have to look at the long-term, not short-term. As we play the game longer and everybody becomes experienced the 3 minute timer will seem like forever.