PDA

View Full Version : 10th Edition looking like Majestic Chess?

Netgearz22
06-24-2004, 10:29 AM
Has anyone else noticed how much CM10k looks like Hoyle's Majestic Chess? I really hope in the full version you can change a lot of things because I hated Majestic Chess. Even the online mode looks like Hoyle's.

Netgearz22
06-24-2004, 10:29 AM
Has anyone else noticed how much CM10k looks like Hoyle's Majestic Chess? I really hope in the full version you can change a lot of things because I hated Majestic Chess. Even the online mode looks like Hoyle's.

Calculex
06-24-2004, 11:14 AM
If you look in the demo you can see that there's 4 different interface skins to choose from in the full version. That should be enough to find at least one you like. I like the blue space high tech whatever that is in the demo and I will also use it in the full version.

Hoyle's interface was very well looking if you ask me. The objects and layout was all very well designed. I don't think it looks a lot like the one in Chessmaster 10th edition, I actually think they are very far from each other.
To finish off I think that both Hoyle's and Chessmaster 10's interface are some of the best I've seen from a chess program so far.
But again some like like the original, clean and user friendly interface chessmaster and Hoyle can offer. And some like the german looking, not very original and windows look a like interface that Chessbase offers. It is a matter of taste. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jazz_improv
06-24-2004, 12:47 PM
I went thru all the skin choices. the default is best, and that is not good.

jazz_improv
06-24-2004, 12:53 PM
"But again some like like the original, clean and user friendly interface chessmaster and Hoyle can offer. And some like the german looking, not very original and windows look a like interface that Chessbase offers. It is a matter of taste"

I have to disgree with this assessment, you call the Shredder 8 or
Fritz 8 interface 'windows look alike??

"German looking" what exactly is "German Looking" ??
..a clean sharp interface with accessable windows

They (CM) will have to improve this poor quality interface before I purchase this version.
I hate to skip the CM 10k offering this time but this is not a very good one.
The CM series still offers an excellent tutorial/Video option that is worth considering, just throw out the rest.

Jim

Calculex
06-24-2004, 04:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have to disgree with this assessment, you call the Shredder 8 or
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes I do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ..a clean sharp interface with accessable windows <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
There are no accessable interface in Fritz or shredder. Try to go to the database and see if you can call that sharp or accessable.
Now Chessmaster has added a smart feature which makes everything very accessable, the right click option. It gives you access to far most of the menus.

I think the problem Imo is that some of you have gotten too used with the old interface (fritz or older chessmaster interfaces) and therefore can't see that this new interface actually is better.

And again it is a matter of taste. After all you do also have the right not to buy the game.

Lithic
06-24-2004, 04:44 PM
I have to say that I like the new 10th interface ALOT more then the 9000 one, and while I havent tried neither Shredder 8 och Fritz 8 I think this is plenty accessable and userfriendly enough.

The one gripe I have with it so far is that when you open some of the settings windows (such as Board settings, or whatever it's called) by right clicking they tend to appear with about half the window outside the actual screen space. I think there should just be a feature that would make those windows appear above the cursor instead of under it when this is about to happen (kinda like it does in Windows).

Fischer-The-2nd
06-24-2004, 05:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Calculex:
[QUOTE] I have to disgree with this assessment, you call the Shredder 8 or
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes I do.

I would call it that too, or just plain boring interface for that matter http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Fischer-The-2nd

Chess is 99 percent tactics. - Teichmann

Chess is really 99 percent calculation. - Soltis.

Modern chess is too much concerned with things like
pawn structure. Forget it - checkmate ends the game. - Short

jazz_improv
06-25-2004, 07:10 AM
Well, to each his own.

CM10k has the best tutorials (Video) and as such could be worth the purchase.

As far as the interface goes, there are some improvements with CM10k, such as the expandable 2D boards.... my dissapointment stems from a project 2 yrs in the making with out the graphical improvements I would expect from a franchise program.
I'm still playing the demo...blurry board piece and all. how are you thinking of Shredder interface as "boring" thats rather funny...!!

Jim

Lithic
06-25-2004, 08:04 AM
About the blurry board pieces though; you sure that isn't some setting on your system doing it? Because I'm looking at the Expert 2d board right now, and I think it's about as clear as can be.

Anyway, I just don't like the 2d boards(and it seems I'm one of the few that don't), I just find them harder to play with for some reason. I need to see the board in 3d to be able to think right somehow. It's wierd, and I can't really explain it, but that's just the way I feel, that's why I love Chessmaster series, they are one of the few Chess programs that offer really good 3d qualities. That and all the tutorials.

jazz_improv
06-25-2004, 12:10 PM
I gues Blurry is not the best choice of words, but not as clear/sharp as I would like.

Something about the way it looks right now, like it is not quite finished. reminds me of when I was a beta tester for a software product.... looks a little rough. But I still think there could be enough in the package to make it worthwhile.