PDA

View Full Version : Help please I cant host online..

VonShlagnoff
07-21-2004, 03:37 AM
ever scince I got broadband I cant host online games anymore, I can set them up but no one can join. In the game settings bit I have 2 IP adresses and I have to change them around if I want to join someone elses game. I have a 1 meg connection and it seem a waste not to be able to host. would the dedicated server patch help? AOL is my ISP. Any Ideas?

VonShlagnoff
07-21-2004, 03:37 AM
ever scince I got broadband I cant host online games anymore, I can set them up but no one can join. In the game settings bit I have 2 IP adresses and I have to change them around if I want to join someone elses game. I have a 1 meg connection and it seem a waste not to be able to host. would the dedicated server patch help? AOL is my ISP. Any Ideas?

VMF513_Sandman
07-21-2004, 05:42 AM
u said u had broadband but u didnt say if u were on a router, a firewall, or both. i'm guessin u have a router since u say u have dual ip's.
#1: u need to have the proper ports allowed to have access to the web that the game looks for. if their closed, no joy.
#2: if router has a built in firewall, firewall has to be config'd to allow fb to act as a server. if it isnt, no dice.
some routers are notorious for bein a real pita to config for online gaming...linksys bein 1 of em.

tfu_iain1
07-21-2004, 08:09 AM
if you are using a router....

most broadband routers have a DMZ mode, whereby one computer can have a direct connection to the internet, like if you were using a broadband modem.

dig into the router documentation and find out how, if poss, you can activate dmz mode, and then set your computer up on that connection ( you have to specify your pc's ip address instead of letting DHCP handle it for you) then it should work. also, P2P progs if you use them will be a lot quicker... but you will be more vulnerable to malicious computer attacks, viri, etc. i tend to turn it on just when i need it, then the rest of the time hide behind my lovely firewall.

CDN_Merlin
07-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Don't use DMZ. Use PORT FORWARDING instead. Much safer. Just go nito your router setup(if you have one) and forward the ports IL2 uses to your LAN IP which should be something like 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is a number from 002 to 254 since the router will most likely be 192.168.1.1.

Beta tester for:
C&C Generals, Independance War 2,Starfleet Command 2,Settlers IV,Tzar,Allegiance,Starfleet Command,MAX 2,Defiance