PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA GeometryWorks DirectX 11 Advanced Tessellation Update for AC Unity

MutatedOreo
03-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Note this article, dated Nov 11, 2014:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-unity-graphics-and-performance-guide#assassins-creed-unity-nvidia-geometryworks-advanced-tessellation

A post-release update will introduce gamers to our GeometryWorks DirectX 11 Advanced Tessellation technology, which enables developers to quickly and easily generate tessellation displacement maps from pre-existing assets, and to efficiently integrate tessellation rendering into their engines with minimal work. Furthermore, our tessellation tech comes pre-packaged with adaptive tessellation factor calculation and frustum culling, making widescale usage a reality in open-world games like Unity.

Where is this update for AC: Unity? There is still no tessellation in this game.

Voyager456
03-25-2015, 06:33 PM
Unfortunately there is not a single word from ubisoft after 4 months about tessellation feature i supose it is canceled.. Mr Shade said hes gonna try to find something about it but to this day nothing.:confused:

MaXThReAT99
04-22-2015, 06:49 AM
Still waiting on some kind of update.

strigoi1958
04-22-2015, 03:03 PM
Tessellation is an Nvidia effect... it is Nvidia who are going to have to make it to work in Unity..not Ubi...... but to be honest... seeing how ugly it makes GTA V .. I am not bothered about it.

GC_Raptor
04-24-2015, 01:24 PM
I am still waiting for the Tesellation Update :(

dewbak75
04-25-2015, 03:15 AM
Tessellation is an Nvidia effect... it is Nvidia who are going to have to make it to work in Unity..not Ubi...... but to be honest... seeing how ugly it makes GTA V .. I am not bothered about it.

No, it's an Ubisoft game, the ultimate responsibility lies with them. They're the ones who advertised the advanced tessellation features prior to the game's launch, including screenshots showing the tessellation in action. If the tech wasn't ready for prime-time, then Ubi never should have advertised it as such. Of course, if the advanced tessellation causes the game to push up against the same limits and bottlenecks that were crippling performance when it first came out, it's easy to see why they wouldn't want to add it in now. the performance would drop through the floor again. Let's face it, they wrote a turd of an engine and have been trying to polish it ever since.

strigoi1958
04-26-2015, 05:43 PM
Nvidia ARE responsible for tessellation... if it is such a bad game why are you even bothered unless it is just another opportunity to whine and hate.

If a 3rd party shows an example of what they expect to put into a game at a demo... and do not supply the software .. that is their problem and their responsibility... if it is not offered to Ubi, all they can do is complain to Nvidia... but as I'm guessing less than 0.001% of people still playing unity care about tessellation... what does it matter ?

Ubi were let down by Nvidia... and some reasonable people are wanting it and a few turds are whining about it ;)

If you are really interested in tesselation in Unity (which I somehow doubt) go to the geforce forum and complain there...

Lignjoslav
04-26-2015, 08:37 PM
Tessellation is not an Nvidia specific feature. It's widely adopted across the industry since the release of DX11 and works exactly the same on all (both) brands of cards.

Regardless, if Ubisoft never said that their game would feature tessellation, that would have been a different story, but if they, the game developer and publisher, advertise a feature and sell the game, yet the released product doesn't have and never gets the said feature, they committed the sin of false advertising which is not just immoral, but also punishable by law.

strigoi1958
04-27-2015, 12:27 PM
It is only immoral and illegal IF at the moment they advertised it they were 100% certain that it would not be implemented. I know... I spent 1500 on a PC that never arrived and the solicitor informed me that I'd have to prove they did not intend to supply it at the moment they took my money... which is virtually impossible.

As for false advertising.... every model in every magazine has had blemishes and spots removed, air brushed and photoshop(ed), I buy the after shaves and deodorants and women do not chase me in the streets :D every TV advert for a game has a disclaimer (not actual game footage) ... in fact I doubt there are ANY adverts that do not bend rules to try to make their products more appealing (I am probably wrong but then I am cynical and a realist)

it is the job of the advertising team to make products as desirable as possible by showing the best features... if for some reason a feature was delayed or not possible to include then that is not possible to predict... well not until time travel is possible.

When I took my job I signed a contract (more binding than an advert) and if I awake and find the trains are not running and I'm late... am I immoral ? (I relied on a 3rd party) I "advertised" that I would be on time at my interview and by signing a contract ... should I be sacked (punished ?)

Lignjoslav
05-02-2015, 12:06 PM
It's illegal whether they meant it from the start or not. You say "product X comes with feature Y" and it doesn't, it's false advertising.

Also, whether they decided not to deliver tessellation from the get go, or now, having received the money for the game, it's immoral. It's not that they can't, it's that they won't. They still can do it. They won't. Because they don't see the point, having already taken the money for the product. And that's why it's immoral.

strigoi1958
05-03-2015, 03:00 AM
You repeatedly saying something is illegal... does not make it illegal... it all comes under the heading "Work in progress" or "prototype" ... if it was illegal 99% of all businesses would be sued to bankruptcy.

Probably misleading.. but that is it...

Tell me what is worse... saying they are working on a game and showing clips from the work in progress... then releasing it with a feature aimed at 0.01% of users... or not releasing the game at all ?

What if tessellation causes game breaking flaws and cannot be included ? should 99.99% of the people wanting the game be denied it, because of the minority...?

Supposing they said tessellation is available to download for those that want it BUT after lengthy testing it conflicts with the current 1.05 version and there is no fix...

would you ....

download and go back to version 1 with glitches and bugs ?

download it and suffer a new lot of conflicts and bugs...?

or do without it ?

If you say to me right now... you have never said you'd do something but then never did it... I wouldn't believe you...are you immoral... for not taking the rubbish out as you told your wife ?

Unity is now finished for the majority of players... it is 6 months old and people have moved on...
I've done over 500 hours in unity.. I've played Rogue, Farcry 4 and GTA V since. But those 500 hours would not have been any better if tessellation was included from day 1 but then I'm a gamer... I only play games I do not have the time to waste looking at FPS rates and pointless setting changes...

I really do not believe ANYONE really wants tessellation in Unity now after all this time, but.... I do believe a lot of people have an axe to grind against Ubi and will search for any tiny insignificant pointless thing just to vent their hatred...

If you honestly believe it is illegal... go to a solicitor... you will get the same reply as I got... but remember... global organisations have a huge legal team.... who constantly advize and help write the eula and T & C's... if you think the average forum user is more knowledgeable then them... well...

Lignjoslav
05-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Dude, it's one thing to say you're going to do something and not do it (it's not nice, but hey...). It's another thing to say you'll do certain things, take money for it, and make a one sided decision to not do all that you've promised.

Also, if you no longer care if tessellation is ever implemented, it doesn't mean that nobody cares or should care. All things considered, Unity isn't such a bad game (thanks to the creative department, and despite the technical department and management). As a matter of fact, I've started a second playthrough (I installed it to a different Windows instance and disabled the internet connection so it doesn't mess up or download my 100% sync save, thanks for your brilliant design decisions Ubisoft) and a tessellation update at this point would actually be more than welcome, so speak for yourself.

strigoi1958
05-03-2015, 11:42 PM
They took money for the game not tessellation and they supplied a game.

You are just assuming that it can be implemented and they are not doing it just to annoy a handful of people or because they cannot be bothered.....that is ridiculous.

You are unwilling to accept there my be reasons beyond their control that means it cannot be implemented... I have gone back over a few adverts and at no time did I see a promise of tessellation... I did see an Nvidia promo that showed tessellation on and off using pictures from Unity.

I choose to assume that if it was able to be added it would have been added.. I think people who played it at least once or 30 hours got good value especially as we got Dead Kings DLC free and season pass owners got a new game offer.

I have no problem you wanting tessellation... in fact I like all extras because anything for nothing is great, even if I and other gamers do not use them...but, I do not like you saying something is illegal or immoral and making unfounded remarks simply because you are not getting your way without even considering it may not be possible.

Be honest, if a DEV came on here to specifically answer this thread and said I'm sorry we had trouble in the testing and Nvidia tried but we cannot put tessellation in Unity without it breaking the game. Do you think that would be the end of the posts and the slander ? or would the same few people vent ?

JoxerTM22
05-04-2015, 01:05 AM
Be honest, if a DEV came on here
Please, just not dev explanations! Pretty please?
We'd hear again how 30 FPS is superior to 60 FPS and probably that motion blur is so good they'll add it as a mandatory thing in next games.

Seaclean
05-10-2015, 12:08 PM
Woah, is this STILL not implemented yet?! O________________________o

naumaan
05-10-2015, 01:19 PM
You repeatedly saying something is illegal... does not make it illegal... it all comes under the heading "Work in progress" or "prototype" ... if it was illegal 99% of all businesses would be sued to bankruptcy.

Probably misleading.. but that is it...

Tell me what is worse... saying they are working on a game and showing clips from the work in progress... then releasing it with a feature aimed at 0.01% of users... or not releasing the game at all ?

What if tessellation causes game breaking flaws and cannot be included ? should 99.99% of the people wanting the game be denied it, because of the minority...?

Supposing they said tessellation is available to download for those that want it BUT after lengthy testing it conflicts with the current 1.05 version and there is no fix...

would you ....

download and go back to version 1 with glitches and bugs ?

download it and suffer a new lot of conflicts and bugs...?

or do without it ?

If you say to me right now... you have never said you'd do something but then never did it... I wouldn't believe you...are you immoral... for not taking the rubbish out as you told your wife ?

Unity is now finished for the majority of players... it is 6 months old and people have moved on...
I've done over 500 hours in unity.. I've played Rogue, Farcry 4 and GTA V since. But those 500 hours would not have been any better if tessellation was included from day 1 but then I'm a gamer... I only play games I do not have the time to waste looking at FPS rates and pointless setting changes...

I really do not believe ANYONE really wants tessellation in Unity now after all this time, but.... I do believe a lot of people have an axe to grind against Ubi and will search for any tiny insignificant pointless thing just to vent their hatred...

If you honestly believe it is illegal... go to a solicitor... you will get the same reply as I got... but remember... global organisations have a huge legal team.... who constantly advize and help write the eula and T & C's... if you think the average forum user is more knowledgeable then them... well...

I kind of agree with strigoi here ... who knows what tesselation would bring in the bugs list ...

Locopells
05-10-2015, 02:32 PM
And back.

Cygnifick
05-11-2015, 11:37 PM
I kind of agree with strigoi here ... who knows what tesselation would bring in the bugs list ...

Not sure what could possibly go wrong with tesselation. Unless doing it on purpose (Crysis). Ubisoft just doesn't want to put resources into the game anymore.

Seaclean
05-12-2015, 05:48 PM
So now they're waving around with a new game but they still haven't given us the tessellation patch? This is beyond embarrassing.