PDA

View Full Version : Why is Ubisoft against a Japan setting?

CourtlyShelf2
03-24-2015, 03:49 AM
i know i know they said its been done but seriously the only games that come to my mind are the way of the samurai series and tenchu i would love to see a assassins creed game set in japan i just dont know why they refuse to go to that setting any ideas why they wont go to a japan setting???

VestigialLlama4
03-24-2015, 06:17 AM
i know i know they said its been done but seriously the only games that come to my mind are the way of the samurai series and tenchu i would love to see a assassins creed game set in japan i just dont know why they refuse to go to that setting any ideas why they wont go to a japan setting???

Well until ROGUE-UNITY-VICTORY, the ethos of AC was to do settings which other games didn't tackle. There were no games in Renaissance Italy or Colonial America for instance.

Until AC1, the crusades were never tackled from an Arab perspective nor did you have a really pro-pirate game until Black Flag. To say nothing of AC3 Liberation which is set in Pre-Louisiana Purchase New Orleans or Freedom Cry set in Haiti.

ze_topazio
03-24-2015, 11:46 AM
They can't do all settings at the same time.

Only Hutchinson is against it and Corey May ain't very thrilled by the idea, Corey ain't even working on this anymore and Hutchinson has no power to decide such things.

Markaccus
03-24-2015, 12:45 PM
I think japan or even china might present problems with the combat mechanics. Kung fu and karate and the various other eastern martial arts would be quite different from anything we have had in ac so far.... at least thats what i think might cause issues, i am no game designer :-D

Templar_Az
03-24-2015, 02:45 PM
I think japan or even china might present problems with the combat mechanics. Kung fu and karate and the various other eastern martial arts would be quite different from anything we have had in ac so far.... at least thats what i think might cause issues, i am no game designer :-D

That to me would be a nice change.

The makers of Assassins Creed say that history is their playground and yet it seems they refuse to have any settings which take place before 1000CE. I really hope another company comes along and starts making ancient history games because Ubicrap refuses to do that.

Markaccus
03-24-2015, 02:52 PM
That to me would be a nice change.

The makers of Assassins Creed say that history is their playground and yet it seems they refuse to have any settings which take place before 1000CE. I really hope another company comes along and starts making ancient history games because Ubicrap refuses to do that.

It would be excellent. No doubt. On the "ancient history" debate... i suppose they cant really go too far back to any time BEFORE the closest real example to the assassins order was created (there are one or two theories as to when it actually happened, so they can choose the earliest i suppose).

Megas_Doux
03-24-2015, 04:03 PM
They have said that Feudal Japan is a "rather predictable" setting. Personally I dont get why all this HUGE fuss about it, after all assassins in this franchise are portrayed the same way all those romanticized version of ninjas: stealthy, agile and deadly.

At this rate though, itll be one there for sure. I DO want East Asia, but I prefer China by a HUGE margin......

Namikaze_17
03-24-2015, 04:32 PM
Cliche, predictable, and redundant come to mind...

That, and the three-story buildings.

Oh god, what a climb! :rolleyes:

VoXngola
03-24-2015, 04:51 PM
To be honest I think it's not Ubi as a whole but Hutchinson that is against that setting. Ubisoft have a lot of AC teams, each with their own vision. If one doesn't want to do Japan doesn't mean that another team doesn't want to as well. If I remember right Hutchinson doesn't want Egypt either, but Ashraf actually expressed interest in that setting. Jean Guesdon also said that Japan remains a setting that is possible.

And I do believe that at some point, AC WILL go to Japan or just Asia in general, Japan isn't the only asian country you know. It's inevitable. With Chronicles China we're getting a little tease already.

M3gaToxic
03-24-2015, 04:51 PM
I think it would be cool and umm to also have a *cough* Female protagonist *cough*

VestigialLlama4
03-24-2015, 05:02 PM
The truth is when people say Japan setting which era and which period do they mean? Japanese history is a vast and huge subject and lot of it isn't part of Western frame of reference. The end result could be something as turgid as The Last Samurai.

In real history, the Samurai Bushido was a fantasy made up long after the period was over and most Samurai were feudal lords who brutalized peasants, they weren't these noble warrior types.

If they really want to tackle Japan, a good setting is the Meiji Restoration where Japan was modernizing and it was the period when the Western world had this cultural exchange with Japan.

SpiritOfNevaeh
03-24-2015, 05:02 PM
I'll just leave this here:

“People on the internet suggest the most boring settings. The three most wanted are WWII, feudal Japan and Egypt. They’re kind of the three worst settings for an AC game. Writer Corey May really wants to do India. I would too. I’d really love to do the Raj.” – Assassin’s Creed 3 creative director Alex Hutchinson to OXM.

Assassin’s Creed 3 director explains “boring” Japan comment

Assassin’s Creed 3 (and now Far Cry 4) director Alex Hutchinson has explained a comment he made about Japan being too “boring” a setting for video games.

Before Assassin’s Creed 3 came out, Hutchinson was quoted as saying Feudal Japan, as well as Ancient Egypt and World War II – were too boring for the Assassin’s Creed series.

In a new interview with OXM, Hutchinson gave some more context to this comment, specifically in reference to Japan.

“The point I was trying to make was that in the broad strokes and scale of history, that’s a theme that’s been well-mined in video games,” he said.

The Assassin’s Creed series has the opportunity to explore lesser-appreciated historical and geographical periods and “make them cool, fun, new and refreshing”, he added.

OXM challenged Hutchinson on this point, saying that there haven’t been many big games set in Japan recently – but Hutchinson responded by pointing out that he’d made the comment over two years ago.

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2014/10/29/assassins-cred-japan-boring-alex-hutchinson/

VestigialLlama4
03-24-2015, 05:15 PM
I'll just leave this here:

“People on the internet suggest the most boring settings. The three most wanted are WWII, feudal Japan and Egypt. They’re kind of the three worst settings for an AC game. Writer Corey May really wants to do India. I would too. I’d really love to do the Raj.” – Assassin’s Creed 3 creative director Alex Hutchinson to OXM.
[SIZE=4]

Well I have to say, that after Far Cry 4's kitschy portrayal of a pseudo-Indian culture, I am glad that he didn't go to the Raj.

Megas_Doux
03-24-2015, 05:22 PM
Well I have to say, that after Far Cry 4's kitschy portrayal of a pseudo-Indian culture, I am glad that he didn't go to the Raj.

Interesting! Ive been told by some indians here that they liked Far cry 4s portrayal.

The truth is when people say Japan setting which era and which period do they mean? Japanese history is a vast and huge subject and lot of it isn't part of Western frame of reference. The end result could be something as turgid as The Last Samurai.

In real history, the Samurai Bushido was a fantasy made up long after the period was over and most Samurai were feudal lords who brutalized peasants, they weren't these noble warrior types.

If they really want to tackle Japan, a good setting is the Meiji Restoration where Japan was modernizing and it was the period when the Western world had this cultural exchange with Japan.

What many are looking for is either Sengoku period or Early Edo.

VestigialLlama4
03-24-2015, 05:43 PM
Interesting! Ive been told by some indians here that they liked Far cry 4s portrayal.

Indians just like being portrayed, since most of the times they aren't well represented in the Western media. In terms of 21st Century, The Darjeeling Limited was the only good film but before that you had the monstrosity of that second Indiana Jones movie which is pretty offensive (although I like Spielberg on the whole).

Far Cry 4 is a fantasy, its set in this imaginary Himalayan dictatorship and fake religion modelled on Indian pantheon, so obviously questions of accuracy do not arise. It's just that its a fairly kitsch representation, though I understand how hypocritical that complaint is when it is coming from me. It's got some nice touches but a lot of general annoyances as well. I liked that the fantasy sections in Shangrila is in Hindi (spoken very well) and the English spoken by locals is good as well. My real pet peeve is no one pronounces the names right. It's Uh-jey Guh-ley, everyone stresses the "A" too much, same with Mo-Han (as in Han Solo when its more like Attila the Hun)

As for AC India, if they are going to do Raj, you agian have different periods. You can tackle the early period, with Tipu Sultan (who pioneered rocket warfare, he launched them from elephants) and the early career of Duke of Wellington. In terms of cities, there won't be much but architecture-wise its a good period and you have countryside. If they go to the 1857 era, which segues nicely with the rather decent BRAHMAN comic, you have Delhi in the final days of the Mughal era as well as Calcutta but its again a revolutionary setting. Later than that, there's no point.

Honestly, I'd like the Mughal India period, best. Shah Jahan or even Akbar. I'd take Shah Jahan since you can visit the Taj Mahal (he built it).

m4r-k7
03-24-2015, 06:32 PM
OXM challenged Hutchinson on this point, saying that there haven’t been many big games set in Japan recently – but Hutchinson responded by pointing out that he’d made the comment over two years ago.[/I]

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2014/10/29/assassins-cred-japan-boring-alex-hutchinson/

Its funny as even in those two years there have been hardly any games set in Feudal Japan so he is clearly backtracking his comment. A Japanese game is probably in development which prompted this response.

Markaccus
03-24-2015, 06:49 PM
Can someone put out a short list of games set in feudal Japan, because I can't think of that many tbh. Tenchu (which I didn't like) is about the only one that springs to mind.

JamesFaith007
03-24-2015, 06:58 PM
Can someone put out a short list of games set in feudal Japan, because I can't think of that many tbh. Tenchu (which I didn't like) is about the only one that springs to mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_set_in_feudal_Japan

But I don't know them personally .

Altair1789
03-24-2015, 06:58 PM
With 20 more years of AC, we're probably going to Japan. Remember that Abstergo concept art that had Notre Dame, Big Ben, and a building from Asia? I highly doubt that building in Asia was foreshadowing AC Chronicles, it seems like they don't care too much about it. It's not as big as Liberation or anything, so I believe that picture meant that after ACV we're getting a game in East Asia

JustPlainQuirky
03-24-2015, 07:00 PM
it's a red herring

feudal japan 2016

Namikaze_17
03-24-2015, 07:27 PM
it's a red herring

feudal japan 2016

I'd prefer Meiji Restoration or China...

Markaccus
03-24-2015, 08:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_set_in_feudal_Japan

But I don't know them personally .

Wow. Thats a lot. :D However, I, like you,have only heard of a handful of those, and no nothing of their content. From the titles, many sound like adventure games or strategy games. A true, modern style open world game would surely still be enough to refresh an old gaming-world and make that time period interesting again.

Megas_Doux
03-24-2015, 08:09 PM
Wow. Thats a lot. :D However, I, like you,have only heard of a handful of those, and no nothing of their content. From the titles, many sound like adventure games or strategy games. A true, modern style open world game would surely still be enough to refresh an old gaming-world and make that time period interesting again.

I understand all those that claim that the "overuse" of the setting is not only about video games, but pretty much every media possible. However, Feudal Japan would mean pretty good PR for Ubisoft, considering is been the most requested setting since like 2008..........

I personally dont see the big fuss about it, as I stated, Assassins in this franchise are portrayed like ninjas anyway and Japanese cities back in the day were kinda dull. I prefer China.....

strigoi1958
03-25-2015, 11:54 PM
The country, city or background doesn't bother me at all... it doesn't affect gameplay only the story..... but as the story seems to centre around the Hassassins and the Knights Templar... (And a lot of people are very concerned about the story line and its chronological line) it must be difficult to envisage any way they can step out of either a set time frame or even try to set it somewhere where Hassassins (assassins) and Knights Templars didn't exist..

I don't care... it could be in space or Australia fighting Kangaroos ;) but those... (like Japan) wouldn't seem like an AC game..

Perhaps Ubi should just make a new game and set in in Japan...

WOK DOGS :D