PDA

View Full Version : About the spitfires..



Vipez-
05-30-2004, 02:43 AM
Do this:

QMB, Crimea, Spitfire IX (which version does not seem to matter), set altitude to 10000 fly at full power (no wep).. result: No overheating, speed 660-700 TAS all the time..

This shocked me.. i can't even push the K-4 to fly that fast.. and without overheating.. now funny thing is enabling web does not have any impact.. just flying full power without wep, and nothing can catch you on that height..

just a tip for you spit jockeys, you have the most devastating bird in the game.. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/10.gif


__________________________


http://www.leosk.org/tiedostot/sig-pieni.jpg

Vipez-
05-30-2004, 02:43 AM
Do this:

QMB, Crimea, Spitfire IX (which version does not seem to matter), set altitude to 10000 fly at full power (no wep).. result: No overheating, speed 660-700 TAS all the time..

This shocked me.. i can't even push the K-4 to fly that fast.. and without overheating.. now funny thing is enabling web does not have any impact.. just flying full power without wep, and nothing can catch you on that height..

just a tip for you spit jockeys, you have the most devastating bird in the game.. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/10.gif


__________________________


http://www.leosk.org/tiedostot/sig-pieni.jpg

JaBo_HH-BlackSheep
05-30-2004, 02:56 AM
true.

spit is verry good i can'T stand a fight unless i am about 2k higher than the Spit 9 (190A-Pilot here)

http://www.g-c-p.de/sigbib/hh/blacksheep.jpg

Extreme_One
05-30-2004, 03:29 AM
The only problem is that no-one will be silly enough to join us up there. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

S! Simon
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''
Download the USAAF & RAF campaign folders here (http://www.netwings.org/library/Forgotten_Battles/Missions/index-10.html).

Download "North and South" including the Japanese speech-pack here (http://www.netwings.org/library/Forgotten_Battles/Missions/index-12.html). *NEW*

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/simplysimon-Ex_1_sig.jpg

Gr7_Bizu-RO
05-30-2004, 04:24 AM
I heard that the spit had a problem with fuel cutting off in inerved flight even on the latest models but not in the game,boost in two stages,not in the game,radiator open and closed,not in the game..what about the cannons?
forget about fuel mixture,not in the game..No
technical data for new planes in the so i had no ideea about how were modeled..{H.P.,weapons,weight..etc} And i still think the russian planes are pumped up a lot.

Gr7_Bizu-RO
05-30-2004, 04:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gr7_Bizu-RO:
I heard that the spit had a problem with fuel cutting off in inerved flight even on the latest models but not in the game,boost in two stages,not in the game,radiator open and closed,not in the game..what about the cannons?
forget about fuel mixture,not in the game..No
technical data for new planes in the so i had no ideea about how were modeled..{H.P.,weapons,weight..etc} And i still think the russian planes are pumped up a lot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

" inverted flight..sry"

Nub_322Sqn
05-30-2004, 04:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gr7_Bizu-RO:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gr7_Bizu-RO:
I heard that the spit had a problem with fuel cutting off in inerved flight even on the latest models but not in the game,boost in two stages,not in the game,radiator open and closed,not in the game..what about the cannons?
forget about fuel mixture,not in the game..No
technical data for new planes in the so i had no ideea about how were modeled..{H.P.,weapons,weight..etc} And i still think the russian planes are pumped up a lot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

" inverted flight..sry"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean negative G force cut out the fuel supply to the engine, not inverted flight.
The early Hurricanes and Spitfires where able to fly inverted, as long as it didn't produce too much negative G.
This was fixed in the later models Spitfires and Hurricanes.

the 2 stage supercharges is automatic on the Spitfires so it is in the game.
Radiator is automatic on the MKIX, it's manual on the MKV.
Fuel mixture is automatic, not manual.

What about the cannons?
They are there, so what's wrong with them?

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rcma/banners/Nubarusbanner.jpg

[This message was edited by Nub_322Sqn on Sun May 30 2004 at 05:10 AM.]

CV8_Dudeness
05-30-2004, 04:46 AM
try the TA

cannot fly full power at ANY Alt without overheating

Extreme_One
05-30-2004, 04:52 AM
But what about the cannons?
Won't somebody please consider the cannons?!? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/35.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">When the mods tidy up (ie delete posts) this place can look a bit wierd can't it?

I was actually responding to another posters strange comment...
</pre>


S! Simon
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''
Download the USAAF & RAF campaign folders here (http://www.netwings.org/library/Forgotten_Battles/Missions/index-10.html).

Download "North and South" including the Japanese speech-pack here (http://www.netwings.org/library/Forgotten_Battles/Missions/index-12.html). *NEW*

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/simplysimon-Ex_1_sig.jpg

[This message was edited by Extreme_One on Sun June 06 2004 at 05:23 AM.]

[This message was edited by Extreme_One on Sun June 06 2004 at 05:24 AM.]

Black Sheep
05-30-2004, 07:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Extreme_One:

But what about the cannons?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They rock ! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

---------------------------------------------------------
http://mysite.freeserve.com/ilsigs/Spitfire.jpg
---------------------------------------------------------
Per Ardua ad Astra

VW-IceFire
05-30-2004, 09:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gr7_Bizu-RO:
I heard that the spit had a problem with fuel cutting off in inerved flight even on the latest models but not in the game,boost in two stages,not in the game,radiator open and closed,not in the game..what about the cannons?
forget about fuel mixture,not in the game..No
technical data for new planes in the so i had no ideea about how were modeled..{H.P.,weapons,weight..etc} And i still think the russian planes are pumped up a lot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That problem was fixed on the Mark V and in later models.

Flying inverted in most of these warbirds is not a good idea anyways. Most engines were designed to work with gravity for one or more of the functions to work properly.

It was recommended that P-38 pilots not fly upside down for more than 7-8 seconds because the oil or another coolant wouldn't be going through the engine properly. That was in the Lockheed P-38 training video available online.

I assume thats probably true for most aircraft.

Spitfires overheat funny. You can push em all the way out and they don't overheat, get to a certain altitude and it starts to cook....the Mark Vb is barely flyable on the Desert map because of that.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

Hunde_3.JG51
05-30-2004, 12:27 PM
I posted this a week or so ago in Oleg's Ready Room. Spitfire cannot be overheated no matter what above around 2,000m (excluding desert map which I have not tried). As long as you stay above that altitude (approx) you will never overheat, even with the Spitfire V with radiator closed and boost enabled. Speeds for Spitfire IX under Oleg's conditions are 422mph for LF., 425mph for F., and 437mph for HF. These speeds can be held indefinitely. I sent this info to Oleg already, though in my thread in ORR someone suggested that maybe the Spitfire is correct and all other planes are wrong (concerning overheat).

http://www.militaryartshop.com/prints/bailey/warwolf.jpg

Formerly Kyrule2
http://www.jg51.com/

[This message was edited by Hunde_3.JG51 on Sun May 30 2004 at 09:22 PM.]

dadada1
05-30-2004, 03:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hunde_3.JG51:
I posted this a week or so ago in Oleg's Ready Room. Spitfire cannot be overheated no matter what above around 2,000m (excluding desert map which I have not tried). As long as you stay above that altitude (approx) you will never overheat, even with the Spitfire V with radiator closed and boost enabled. Speeds for Spitfire IX under Oleg's conditions are 422mph for LF., 425mph for F., and 437mph for HF. These speeds can be held indefinitely. I sent this info to Oleg already, though in my thread in ORR someone suggested that maybe the Spitfire is correct and all other planes are wrong.

http://www.militaryartshop.com/prints/bailey/warwolf.jpg

Formerly Kyrule2
http://www.jg51.com/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most of the figures I've ever seen quoted for the Mk IX with merlin 61 are in the realms of 408mph. I did'nt think Spts reached these speeds until the arrival of the Griffon. Seems Olegs been a little generous?

JG7_SITH
06-06-2004, 01:38 AM
Do what I do . Sneak up behind them if you can.

http://www2.klepaker.no:81/Vov/singlemissionstat.php?missionid=715 http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

DeerHunterUK
06-06-2004, 05:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hunde_3.JG51:
I posted this a week or so ago in Oleg's Ready Room. Spitfire cannot be overheated no matter what above around 2,000m (excluding desert map which I have not tried). As long as you stay above that altitude (approx) you will never overheat, even with the Spitfire V with radiator closed and boost enabled. Speeds for Spitfire IX under Oleg's conditions are 422mph for LF., 425mph for F., and 437mph for HF. These speeds can be held indefinitely. I sent this info to Oleg already, though in my thread in ORR someone suggested that maybe the Spitfire is correct and all other planes are wrong (concerning overheat).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But drop below 2,000 metres and the Merlin engine aircraft (Spits and Hurricanes) overheat rapidly. It is very odd as it contradicts the data that Pilots were given about safe engine settings. About 80% throttle and prop pitch is safe at any altitude. However combat (5 minutes max.) and climb (1 hour max.) settings lasts nowhere near as stated in the Pilot Notes. All the Merlin engine settings are virtually the same for all the aircraft apart from maximum boost settings obviously.
Pingu, if you read this I can still send you the information if you're interested.

No1_Moggy
-----
In memory of 'The Few'
http://www.lima1.co.uk/Sharkey/spitfire.jpg
The Tangmere Pilots - http://www.tangmerepilots-raf.co.uk/
Know your enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated.

kubanloewe
06-06-2004, 06:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CV8_Dudeness:
try the TA

cannot fly full power at _ANY_ Alt without overheating<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TA with special wings flies like a brick in 9000m where the spit HF fly like a bird

http://home.arcor.de/kubanskiloewe/g14gutspruchsig.jpg
"Finde den Feind und schiesse ihn ab alles andere ist Unsinn"
Rittmeister Freiherr Manfred von Richthofen

p1ngu666
06-06-2004, 06:25 AM
ah cool http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
email it to pingu666@menard.gotadsl.co.uk
other stuff is in the sig http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
soz that i havent been around much
busy http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

http://www.pingu666.modded.me.uk/mysig3.jpg
&lt;123_GWood_JG123&gt; NO SPAM!

p1ngu666
06-06-2004, 06:27 AM
oh i posted about being dubious of overheat at high speeds iirec
u cant know for sure cos u need to know how much heat engine puts out, effectiveness of cooling, and the max safe temp

http://www.pingu666.modded.me.uk/mysig3.jpg
&lt;123_GWood_JG123&gt; NO SPAM!

NorrisMcWhirter
06-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Hi,

Spit IXs are the new planes to fear. They are fast, turn well & climb well.

No wonder they are so popular online!

Cheers,
Norris

================================================== ==========

: Chris Morris - Blue Jam :
http://cabinessence.cream.org/

: More irreverence :
http://www.tvgohome.com/

: You've seen them... :
www.chavscum.co.uk (http://www.chavscum.co.uk)

Von_Rat
06-07-2004, 01:19 AM
got chased by spit in my ta 152 at 10k+ today. he couldnt catch me, but i had to work at staying out of gun range because my engine kept overheating. finally he ran low on gas and split.
am i doing somthing wrong, shouldnt a ta 152 with GM on walk away from a spit at that hieght.

dadada1
06-07-2004, 03:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patrat1:
got chased by spit in my ta 152 at 10k+ today. he couldnt catch me, but i had to work at staying out of gun range because my engine kept overheating. finally he ran low on gas and split.
am i doing somthing wrong, shouldnt a ta 152 with GM on walk away from a spit at that hieght.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it should, I think at altitude the only spits that should cause real headache's are Griffons( XIV, XXI etc). Ta still overheats too fast, especially at altitiude and still has gunsight bug. Oleg please address these two problems.

[This message was edited by dadada1 on Mon June 07 2004 at 03:39 AM.]

DeerHunterUK
06-07-2004, 06:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by p1ngu666:
ah cool http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
email it to pingu666@menard.gotadsl.co.uk
other stuff is in the sig http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
soz that i havent been around much
busy http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Email on it's way, sorry if it's not what you're expecting it's just some boring engine data.

No1_Moggy
-----
In memory of 'The Few'
http://www.lima1.co.uk/Sharkey/spitfire.jpg
The Tangmere Pilots - http://www.tangmerepilots-raf.co.uk/
Know your enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated.

JG7_SITH
06-07-2004, 08:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG7_SITH:
Do what I do . Sneak up behind them if you can.

http://www2.klepaker.no:81/Vov/singlemissionstat.php?missionid=715 http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


Again
http://www2.klepaker.no:81/Vov/singlemissionstat.php?missionid=1143
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/mockface.gif

http://photos.imageevent.com/jg7_me262/pilotid/websize/jg7banner.jpg

WWII_Vet
06-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Its about time all you arcade flying Luftwhiners had your backsides well and truly kicked lol http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/mockface.gif

The Spit rules the FB skies http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Aaron_GT
06-07-2004, 03:39 PM
Actually the Spitfire had a respectable ceiling. V and IX were modified (hotrodding, removal of machine guns) to counter Ju86s. One scored a kill at 44,000 ft. I think the Ta152 should still trump the Spitfire IX and 10,000m, though.

Magister__Ludi
06-07-2004, 06:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
Actually the Spitfire had a respectable ceiling. V and IX were modified (hotrodding, removal of machine guns) to counter Ju86s. One scored a kill at 44,000 ft. I think the Ta152 should still trump the Spitfire IX and 10,000m, though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


No Aaron, it didn't score. They claimed it, but that pesky Ju-86P (with an aerodynamic shape close to Ju-52) got away. Apparently the Spit V was outrun http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
This is the closest the high alt modif of Spit V got to Ju-86P at high altitude. Not very impressive.

Ju-86P was a high alt modif of Ju-86 built in small numbers. None were lost, all of them were retired due to old age. R models replaced P models at the end of 42, further increasing the service ceiling (14000m!!). 3 Ju-86R were lost due to enemy action, but of course none were shot down at service ceiling.


For those that do not remember how Ju-86 looks like, this is the aircraft that outran the Spitfire http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/images/ju86-2.jpg

Ju-86P had a different cockpit and the defensive armament was deleted (who needs that against heavy breathin Spit http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ?)

http://letadla.p.cz/img/gal/foto/ju86-3.jpg

Cragger
06-07-2004, 10:51 PM
P also looks like it uses inlines instead of radials.

http://redspar.com/redrogue/cragger_sig.jpg

Aaron_GT
06-08-2004, 12:23 AM
Ludi,

There are reports of a number of engagements of Spitfires against Ju86s over the UK and North Africa at extreme altitude. If you have something to back up the suggestion that the claim over the UK (Spitfire IX AFAIK) was not an actual kill, can you direct me to the source?

HellToupee
06-08-2004, 12:38 AM
A spit V did engage the ju86p at 44000 but one its cannon jammed and when the other one was fired caused the plane to swing out of control.

http://lamppost.mine.nu/ahclan/files/sigs/spitwhiners1.jpg