PDA

View Full Version : The 701st Anniversary of Jacques De Molay's Execution

RinoTheBouncer
03-18-2015, 06:24 PM
"The Assassins are far older than Masyaf, my friend. Their anarchic delusions are virulent as the plague, and less easily eradicated. We will not prevail this night. But if you make haste, we may yet save our Order."
―De Molay to his advisor, 1307.

The 701st anniversary of the death of the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar, Jacques De Molay, is upon us. 701 years ago, the man who led the Templars to the apex of their power as the last public Grand Master of the Order.

Early Life

He was born between 1245 and 1250 in Molay, Haute-Saône. In 1265, de Molay was inducted into the Templar Order in Beaune.
After the fall of Acre, the Order met in Cyprus in September 1291. On 20 April 1292, de Molay was elected Grand Master, leading the Templars to the height of their power. Around this time, he possessed the Shroud of Eden, which later wound up in the possession a fellow French Templar, Geoffroy de Charny.

Life as a Grand Master

De Molay wrote the Codex Pater Intellectus. With the Templars already serving as an economic power through banking, he envisioned in the Codex that the Templars should control humanity through the middle class and capitalism, rather than through the aristocracy and monarchy.

Even as the Order entered a Golden Age, Philip IV of France and Pope Clement V, strongly influenced by the French Assassins and their Mentor Guillaume de Nogaret, plotted to destroy the Templars. With Philip already deeply in debt to the Order, he charged the Templars with heresy, blasphemy and the worship of a deity called Baphomet, a symbol often associated with the real-life conspiracy theory of the Illuminati.

Life as a Sage

Jacques De Molay might have been a great leader to the Order of the Knights Templar, but that wasn’t the only remarkable story to tell about him. Jacques De Molay was born a Sage, another reincarnation of Aita, a First Civilization member and the late husband of First Civ. member, Juno. A future reincarnation of Juno.

He is the first known Grand Templar Master who is also a Sage at the same time, the second being François-Thomas Germain, who experienced visions of the First Civilization, which he initially thought to be a descent into insanity. However, upon the discovery of the Codex Pater Intellectus in a vault beneath the Parisian Temple, he realized the truth behind his visions of the First Civilization and his origins as a Sage.

Through the readings of de Molay, Germain established a connection between him and the legendary Grand Master, and was determined to shape the destiny of the human race in the way envisioned by de Molay. He believed that by stripping the aristocracy of power and giving it to the middle class, he would create a society which could be easily controlled by the Templars. The beliefs and Ideologies of de Molay have greatly influenced Germain and he grew more appreciative of his persona and when King Louis XVI was beheaded on the guillotine, Germain proclaimed that Jacques de Molay had been avenged. A recurring real life Templar legend states that during the execution, a French Freemason either dipped his hand in the king's blood or held the king's head and yelled "Jacques de Molay, thou art avenged!"

During the Reign of Terror, Germain secluded himself within the Temple, which was heavily guarded with no weak points. While there, Germain began praying to Jacques de Molay. His men could then hear thunder from within the Temple.

Capture, Trial and Execution

Jacques De Molay might have been a great leader to the Order of the Knights Templar, but that wasn’t the only remarkable story to tell about him. Jacques De Molay was born a Sage, another reincarnation of Aita, a First Civilization member and the late husband of First Civ. member, Juno. A future reincarnation of Juno.

He is the first known Grand Templar Master who is also a Sage at the same time, the second being François-Thomas Germain, who experienced visions of the First Civilization, which he initially thought to be a descent into insanity. However, upon the discovery of the Codex Pater Intellects (which was written by Jacques De Molay, himself) in a vault beneath the Parisian Temple, he realized the truth behind his visions of the First Civilization and his origins as a Sage.

While the advisor was able to hide the Codex and Sword, de Molay was arrested, and the former was assassinated by de Carneillon before he could rescue the Grand Master. As a result of the raids, nearly every Templar in France was arrested.

In 1312, the Templar Order was officially dissolved by Pope Clement, and all of its assets were gifted to the Knights Hospitalier.

Following his arrest, de Molay was imprisoned and tortured by de Nogaret, Philippe de Marigny and William of Paris, and was forced to confess to heresy. As their Grand Master, de Molay understood that the Templars could no longer survive in a public image, and decided to make the ultimate sacrifice. Before his inevitable death, he sent nine of his most trusted men - who possessed "knowledge of the Ancients" - out into the world to continue his work. The Templars would fade from public awareness, and secretly influence leaders.

On 18 March 1314, de Molay allowed himself to be burned at the stake. As he burned to death, he cursed Philip to the "thirteenth generation of [his] blood". By allowing himself to be executed, de Molay saved the lives of his remaining brethren, and made their enemies believe that the Order had died along with him.

Legacy

In the late 18th century, Jacques' descendant, Anne de Molay murdered two of the descendants of his interrogators. She failed to murder the third, which resulted in the Assassin Arno Dorian handing her over to the the police.

De Molay was later commemorated in 1937 by the Templar Order's new public front, Abstergo Industries. There, an image of him was displayed prominently in the room accessible only to members of the Order's Inner Sanctum.

In 2001, researchers at the Vatican Secret Archives uncovered a parchment written in 1308 by Pope Clement which absolved de Molay of all charges.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/11037650_1570309666553808_6592678355317151099_o.jp g

ze_topazio
03-18-2015, 06:30 PM
Time sure flies by.

Fatal-Feit
03-18-2015, 06:59 PM
I'd like to see more of him in Victory. Perhaps a sequence w/ the Shroud of Eden, maybe.

VestigialLlama4
03-18-2015, 06:59 PM
The real Jacques de Molay died unavenged and forgotten, while the man who did him in, King Philip le Bel has gone down in history as one of France's greatest Kings.

Shahkulu101
03-18-2015, 07:06 PM
RIP, the five minute section dedicated to you in Unity was more interesting than the game itself.

Alphacos007
03-19-2015, 12:22 AM
RIP, the five minute section dedicated to you in Unity was more interesting than the game itself.

LOL, completely true. I wish we had a full game on his time. Not necessarily with him though, just some medieval stuff.

The real Jacques de Molay died unavenged and forgotten, while the man who did him in, King Philip le Bel has gone down in history as one of France's greatest Kings.

I wouldn't say completely forgotten, he was remembered by all his brothers that he never betrayed, and his order exists untill today. Can't speak much about the king though, as I know almost nothing of France's history.

Namikaze_17
03-19-2015, 01:11 AM
May the Father of Understanding grant you a peaceful rest, Grandmaster.

pirate1802
03-19-2015, 01:37 AM
I wouldn't say completely forgotten, he was remembered by all his brothers that he never betrayed, and his order exists untill today. Can't speak much about the king though, as I know almost nothing of France's history.

I think he was speaking of the historical Molay, not AC's fictional one.

Namikaze_17
03-19-2015, 03:03 AM
I'd like to see more of him in Victory. Perhaps a sequence w/ the Shroud of Eden, maybe.

Or King Arthur with the Excalibur?

Makes more sense in terms of the location and the previous game. :/

EDIT: Off-topic, but those guards arresting Molay look badass. :cool:

Alphacos007
03-19-2015, 03:08 PM
I think he was speaking of the historical Molay, not AC's fictional one.

Yes, I know, I also meant the real one. The templar's don't exist anymore, but the DeMolay order is still a thing.

ze_topazio
03-19-2015, 04:02 PM
The Portuguese branch of the Templars simply changed their name to "Order of Christ" and still exist today, the Templars still live.

Shahkulu101
03-19-2015, 04:51 PM
^ Wonder what they're doing.

Running the word of course

pirate1802
03-20-2015, 07:42 AM
Yes, I know, I also meant the real one. The templar's don't exist anymore, but the DeMolay order is still a thing.

This I did not know. Thanks for shining your enlightening ..erm light on me. DeMolay will be pleased.

Altair1789
03-20-2015, 10:58 PM

Regardless, isn't it just a rumor that he told the King and Pope that he'd be avenged? And that someone yelled "Jacques de Molay, tu es vengé!" at King Louis XVI's execution is also just a rumor

Hans684
03-20-2015, 11:06 PM
Would be far more respectful to celebrate the his birth(like Desmond's(your previous thread)) than his execution. It would be like celebrating Ezio's death.

Alphacos007
03-20-2015, 11:33 PM
Would be far more respectful to celebrate the his birth(like Desmond's(your previous thread)) than his execution. It would be like celebrating Ezio's death.

I get your point but it's not like we are happy that he died and celebrate that. It's just that his execution was a historic date and it gets celebrated like any other.

Hans684
03-21-2015, 11:45 AM
I get your point but it's not like we are happy that he died and celebrate that.

You never know, maybe some do.

It's just that his execution was a historic date and it gets celebrated like any other.

Fair point.

VestigialLlama4
03-21-2015, 01:04 PM
Regardless, isn't it just a rumor that he told the King and Pope that he'd be avenged? And that someone yelled "Jacques de Molay, tu es vengé!" at King Louis XVI's execution is also just a rumor

Yeah that was the famous legend of the Templars or rather the source of their afterlife in conspiracy theory.

The real history is that in the late 1200-early1300, the Templars after the Crusades lost their original mission of providing safe passage to Christian pilgrims to the Holy Land, and they became a banking organization. The French King Philip le Bel was making France more centralized and improving the finances and lessening Church authority, he first got the previous Pope whacked and then made one of his men the new Pope and showed everyone the Pope was the b-tch of the French King by having him moved from the Vatican to Avignon (which lasted for nearly a century before they moved back). Then when the King needed money, he looked around and saw that the Templars held debts to the French crown, so he arrested and mass executed them on Friday the 13th, 1307 and accused them of homosexuality and pedophilia, called them crypto-Muslims and even had some of them state that the Templars were worshiping this red-skinned omnisexual part-goat deity called Baphomet (which is acknowledged in UNITY - Baphomet is believed to come from the Arab phrase Abu fihamat, which means "Father of Understanding"). Then he had Jacques de Molay and many other Templars burnt, seized their property and assets and ran them out. And that was the end of it, the Templars vanished completely, no secret conspiracy nothing. What is there in Portugal is a smaller offshoot, too small and insignifcant and protected by the Portuguese Crown.

Several years later, people made much of the fact that the King died in a horse accident one year after killing de Molay and that the Pope died, and also the French King's descendants ended up starting the 100 Years War with England which France won but cost them a huge chunk of their population. So, being the superstitious Middle Ages this is, they made up that Molay cursed the French King to the 13th Generation. During the Revolution, right-wing Christian fanatics couldn't accept that the King's loyal subjects no longer wanted to be ruled by a King so they invented conspiracy theories saying that the Illuminati and the Freemasons stage managed the Revolution to get revenge for Jacques de Molay (who admittedly was seen as a victim of injustice in intellectual circles but hardly any font of inspiration), these are the same a--holes who made the "Molay, tu es vengee" myth. The catch is that Louis XVI is the 15th Generation or 16th Generation, so it doesn't work on that logic either.

The fact is UNITY took that right-wing fantasy (from a book called Histoire des Jacobins) and made that the whole plot without considering the implications. They make Molay this great genius when the real guy was a nobody, of no real importance aside from the circumstances and manner of his death.

Alphacos007
03-21-2015, 05:27 PM
Okay, now you're going too far. One thing is saying that the curse and vengeance of DeMolay is a myth. That, I can agree on. He might have shoutted that when he was beeing burned, and someone might have shouted that when the king was executed, but I don't think it is related, it was just some fanatic having fun, if it even happened.
Saying that the guy was a nobody of no real importance though, with all due respect to you, there you have no idea what you're talking about,

VestigialLlama4
03-21-2015, 06:46 PM
Saying that the guy was a nobody of no real importance though, with all due respect to you, there you have no idea what you're talking about,

I highly recommend reading a series of books called The Accursed Kings by Maurice Druon, it was an acknowledged inspiration for the Game of Thrones books and it deals with the historical period that begins with the death of the Templars. The first book, The Iron King deals with Jacques de Molay's martyrdom.

Molay in real-life did not contribute anything to medieval philosophy, science, maths or any such thing, discovered no new lands, and so on. The Templars merely continued on as before but with the end of the Crusades, he didn't show the foresight to change gears and disband the Order before becoming a liability. If Jacques de Molay did not die burnt on the stake, nobody would care for him.

Alphacos007
03-22-2015, 12:43 AM
Just because he didn't contribute to philosophy/science/maths/etc doesn't mean he wasn't important. The president of the United States never contributed for any of those, yet he is VERY important.
And in my opinion, disbanding the order before it became a "liability" makes no sense. It never was a liability, and was only destroyed because the king wanted their treasure. Had he disbanded the order and kept just the banking side, the king would still go after them for the treasure.
Also, he didn't become a legend because he was burnt on the stake. Many templars were also burned. He became this legend because he was tortured for days/weeks/who-knows-how-much-time and never betrayed his brothers, never said where the treasure was, or acknowledged that they were a baphomet cult, like a few others did to get rid of the torture.
Seriously, you can't take for facts what you read is just one book. Every writer has his point of view on the matters. I have already read plenty of stuff about him, and no one ever said that he was a nobody.

On a different matter, I really wish he had appeared a bit more in the game, he was there for like 2 minutes or even less. I didn't know he was going to be on the game, and when I saw him for the first time on the Helix Menu I almost had a hearth attack, I always wanted to see how the AC universe would treat him, but never expected it to actually happen.

VestigialLlama4
03-22-2015, 04:42 AM
Just because he didn't contribute to philosophy/science/maths/etc doesn't mean he wasn't important. The president of the United States never contributed for any of those, yet he is VERY important.

Comparing Molay to a President is a huge stretch, he never had that level of power. The real guy I mean.

And in my opinion, disbanding the order before it became a "liability" makes no sense. It never was a liability, and was only destroyed because the king wanted their treasure. Had he disbanded the order and kept just the banking side, the king would still go after them for the treasure.

The point is the King needed cash no-strings-attached. Going after legal banking institutions was far harder than going after a Templar Order that no longer performs its original purpose and is an anachronism now that the Crusades are over. That was the fundamental reason for their failure, the historical Templars collapsed suddenly because their organizational structure was that weak and incompetent, no neighboring ruler would go to war for them and they had no allies, and as leader, Jacques de Molay takes full responsibility.

Also, he didn't become a legend because he was burnt on the stake. Many templars were also burned. He became this legend because he was tortured for days/weeks/who-knows-how-much-time and never betrayed his brothers, never said where the treasure was, or acknowledged that they were a baphomet cult, like a few others did to get rid of the torture.

There was no treasure, the treasure was the banking work that the Templars did, and Philip le Bel got hold of all of that.

I am not impressed with martyrdom in-and-of-itself and I don't hold Molay superior to his fellow brothers who broke under torture. Had Molay been a little shrewd and pragmatic, he could have protected the lives of his fellow Templars, but he didn't. The conspiracy mythology accrued of him gives a mediocrity credit and importance he does not deserve.

Seriously, you can't take for facts what you read is just one book. Every writer has his point of view on the matters. I have already read plenty of stuff about him, and no one ever said that he was a nobody.

All I said was if Molay didn't die on the stake, or enter the Kings s--t list, no one would care for him. I don't see how that's disputable.

HDinHB
03-23-2015, 11:59 PM
Coincidentally or not, the History channel is looking into making a Templar-based TV series.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/23/history-channel-making-knightfall-drama-jeremy-renner

EW can confirm that History is developing a new series called Knightfall, which will tell the story of the persecution and burning at the stake of the Knights of [sic] Templar on a Friday the 13th in 1307. The supposedly unlucky date has remained infamous for more than 700 years since, and the series will explore the events that led to the day gaining such prominence.

The focus on the actual history of the Templar Knights will likely also prevent the series from overlapping with another prominent franchise employing the knights, Assassin’s Creed. That video game series depicts the Knights throughout history as antagonists trying to rule the world by harnessing ancient powers and modern technology.

If this is done as well as Vikings has been, I'll be watching. Plus, it's name is a pun.

VestigialLlama4
03-24-2015, 06:40 AM
Coincidentally or not, the History channel is looking into making a Templar-based TV series.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/23/history-channel-making-knightfall-drama-jeremy-renner

If this is done as well as Vikings has been, I'll be watching. Plus, it's name is a pun.

Most likely they want the new Game of Thrones, ideally what they should do is adapt The Accursed Kings, the first book tells the Templars final days and has a moving look at Jacques de Molay's execution. It even has his dying curse. King Philip IV even says this badass line when he hears it,

King Philip IV: "I've made a mistake."
Robert Artois: "You regret burning Jacques"
King Philip IV: "No I regret not removing his tongue"