View Full Version : Homing devises

owlwatcher
06-14-2004, 07:37 AM
Just read
The Jolly Rogers

YE homing gear Hayrake

Any chance this will be in game

By the way not a bad book.

To get spotted in a bunch of planes there is a maneuver called the square dance.

owlwatcher
06-14-2004, 07:37 AM
Just read
The Jolly Rogers

YE homing gear Hayrake

Any chance this will be in game

By the way not a bad book.

To get spotted in a bunch of planes there is a maneuver called the square dance.

Fliger747
06-14-2004, 08:01 PM
A while back this subject was thrashed around a bit. The YE beacon utilized a different morse code letter pair for each 15 degree sector you were in from the "boat".

To be "realistic" everyone will have to bone up on their code!

owlwatcher
06-14-2004, 08:25 PM
Sorry I posted so little information.
Glad you added the details.
Someting along these lines should be built in the game.
Other then just an control tower (CV) to guide you back.

VF-3Thunderboy
06-14-2004, 09:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>To be "realistic" everyone will have to bone up on their code! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is great, as Morse Code is not taught in the US military anymore, which is stupid,as it seems to save a few lives every year or so.

Maybe it could be an add-on that could be parcelled out to the "community".

CFS2 still keeps going, as the code is constantly chipped away! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Fliger747
06-14-2004, 09:47 PM
Celestial navigation is not taught at Anapolis anymore. My first Atlantic crossing was in a C 130, with a nav "George Guyer" who had been a USN Nav BEFORE WWII! I was quite elated to see Ireland paint on the radar!

CFS II keep soldiering on becuse of the open arcitecture, allowing the 1% planes and lot others.

stansdds
06-15-2004, 04:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Celestial navigation is not taught at Anapolis anymore. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> as Morse Code is not taught in the US military anymore <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GPS and sattelite linked radios are great, but has anyone thought what would happen if someone managed to knock a few sattelites out of orbit? Pardon my lack of nuclear physics knowledge, but if the big one actually did go off, won't the electomagnetic burst fry all those wonderful computer chips? Wouldn't communication and navigation become rather difficult? Anybody in the Penatagon thinking about this stuff? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

VW-IceFire
06-15-2004, 07:57 AM
Most sensitive electronics can be EMP hardened. I imagine Sattelites by their nature have some EMP hardening and toughened electronics due to the rigorous nature of their location (i.e. a solar flare is going to be pretty damaging to electronics as well if you don't take precautions).

Even so, a nice fallback to older methods is usually a good thing.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

Fliger747
06-15-2004, 12:18 PM
A year or so ago thre was a very high level of solar activity and we were warned that sat nav could become unreliable. As a backup we have inertial nav, using what is refered to as a set of "ring laser gyro's", not a gyro at all but a box with prisms, phase detectors and a laser, which detects accelerations by the phase change in the light. Accurate to a mile or so crossing the Pacific.

Satcom is a handy tool as well, but when forced back to the vagiries of HF radio propigation over darkest India, it can be frustrating. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

SkyChimp
06-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Most US Naval aircraft were equipped with Zed Baker homing devices. Would be neat to have.

Regards,
http://members.cox.net/us.fighters/halfstaff.gif

owlwatcher
06-16-2004, 10:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SkyChimp:
Most US Naval aircraft were equipped with Zed Baker homing devices. Would be neat to have.

_Regards,_
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is Zed Baker homing devise?
Any web links.