PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Rogue vs Black Flag graphics issue question

ceekay.sickart
03-17-2015, 02:55 PM
Hi! I don't know if this issue bothered anybody before but the thing is that Rogue, on PC, has lower performance than Black Flag on the same system.

To explain it better I'll try to paint the picture:

I play on laptop and on Desktop PC. I have no problems with the desktop PC. It's a high end computer and it works wonderfully.

The problem starts showing when playing on the laptop.

AC4BlackFlag was, presumably, built from the start to work on PC. There are NVIDIA settings implemented and you can see that it was optimized to work great on PC/laptop.

ACRogue, even if it is a ported game from the PS3 and Xbox360, it struggles to work on the laptop. I mean, the graphic elements were taken from Black Flag and AC3, the menu is almost copy-paste from Black Flag, but the framerate is struggling to reach 20-25 fps on medium settings (1360x768 and medium settings).

On the other hand, Black Flag has a constant 30-35 fps and even reaches 45 fps on high and very high graphic settings (1920x1080 + High and Very High on most of the settings).

The laptop I'm talking about has the following specs:

CPU: Intel i7-4770HQ @ 2.40GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 850M

Even Assassin's Creed Unity runs smoother than the ported Assassin's Creed Rogue.

If you know a way to fix things around, please help.

UPDATE!!! Cancel everything from above. As it turned out, the latest graphics driver didn't do the job well, so after updating to the hotfix driver (http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3636) everything went back to normal and now I can roam at maximum settings in Rogue, with 45-50 fps average.

Alphacos007
03-17-2015, 05:47 PM
Hehe, was about to tell you it was something wrong with your PC, as literally everyone else said Rogue ran much better than AC4 :p

ceekay.sickart
03-23-2015, 12:41 PM
So... If anyone is having the same issues as I had, and you are using an NVIDIA powered notebook, remember to go into the Nvidia Control Panel and force the application to use the Nvidia Graphics Card instead of the Intel one.

tunnelcat
03-25-2015, 01:47 AM
Heck, I'm running an older driver on my Nvidia-based PC and Rogue works just fine. Haven't had the desire to update it because the newer drivers are known to mess up Deus Ex, which is still on my system and I sometimes play.

ceekay.sickart
03-25-2015, 10:46 AM
Yes. I should work good with older drivers, of course. The problem, part mine, part Nvidia's and Ubisoft's is the way the Nvidia Optimus system works (I'm speaking about the laptop performance). Instead of automatically recognize the game executables, and run them with the Nvidia graphics processor, it just let the user struggle using the built-in Intel Graphics.

And because Assassin's Creed Rogue isn't done with Nvidia's help, the driver doesn't auto grab the ACC.exe to open it with the Nvidia Graphics Processor.

With the previous titles (Black Flag, Unity and even Watch Dogs) I didn't have to force the driver to open the executable with the Nvidia Graphics Processor, because all three games were seen as Nvidia Compatible. But Rogue isn't in the Supported Game list (http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/supported-games), therefore you have to add it manually to the Nvidia Control Panel.

Frag_Maniac
03-27-2015, 05:37 AM
Well, most know by now that it's getting common that most devs don't officially support laptops anymore, so it may be more of a driver than hardware issue.

ceekay.sickart
03-27-2015, 01:15 PM
I tend to not agree with you here. Although they aren't supported, that doesn't mean they can't be used for playing, so all the devs know that people play on laptop, otherwise, they wouldn't notify people that laptop graphics cards aren't supported.

What bothers me is that the graphics card drivers don't recognize the game exe.

Frag_Maniac
03-28-2015, 02:02 AM
I tend to not agree with you here. Although they aren't supported, that doesn't mean they can't be used for playing, so all the devs know that people play on laptop, otherwise, they wouldn't notify people that laptop graphics cards aren't supported.

What bothers me is that the graphics card drivers don't recognize the game exe.

I'm not saying ALL laptops are going to automatically have issues the desktops don't, it's just more likely, esp if the devs don't do any testing for it, which is essentially what unsupported means. The fact is, most laptops if the spec itself is powerful enough, can usually run a given game, but it relies more on the user knowing certain steps that have to be taken, and often times laptops have their own drivers, which can further complicate things. This is why there's a trend of devs not supporting laptops anymore, largely due to 3rd party drivers.